Grating Noise on Macbook Air

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Enjay

Re: Grating Noise on Macbook Air

Post by Enjay »

Ooooh, yeah, that's not good. I don't know what's wrong, unfortunately, but at least I can confirm the file has uploaded properly, is downloadable and can be watched.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Well, that's definitely not something I was expecting. And it seems to persist after the sound stops. Can you post the startup log, and output of snd_status?

Also, where is your GZDoom from (build it yourself? premade package?), and what version is it?
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

It sounds like how a deep fried image looks. What could cause that is beyond me.
Zemakat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

I know I'm many hours late, but I have the snd_status report. I will leave anything and everything here just in case it has any useful hints, as I have no knowledge of the sound system or how it works.

Btw, I am using GZDoom 4.3.3.

Output device: OpenAL Soft
Device sample rate: 44100 hz

ALC Version: 1.1
ALC Extensions: ALC_ENUMRATE_ALL_EXT ALC_ENUMERATION ALC_EXT_CAPTURE ALC_EXT_DEDICATED ALC_EXT_disconnect ALC_EXT_EFX ALC_EXT_local_thread_context ALC_SOFT_device clock ALC_SOFT_HRTF ALC_SOFT_loopback ALC_SOFT_output_limiter ALC_SOFT_pause_device

Available Sources: 256 (255 mono, 1 stereo)
EFX Version: 1.0
Auxiliary Sends: 2
Vendor: OpenAL Community
Version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.20.0
Renderer: OpenAL Soft

Should I share the "AL extensions", too? I wasn't sure if I should give them out, since I'm not sure if they mean anything.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Remaker wrote:Version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.20.0
Presuming you can, try updating OpenAL Soft to 1.20.1, there may be relevant fixes. Otherwise, try turning off HRTF in GZDoom's options.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

If it’s about official builds, there is no way to update third-party libraries in them due to static linking. This is a deliberate choice, and digital signature wasn’t the primary goal.
However, devbuilds are using OpenAL Soft 1.20.1 since February.
Zemakat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Zemakat »

I've turned HRTF from "Auto" to "Off". I did hear it pop again, but it didn't linger on for any more than that, which sort of relives me since I tested with a weapon that made it last longer before.

I wonder if it actually did change anything, however, since testing the quick kick in Beautiful Doom did the same pop noise before changing the setting, rather than the blaring static.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Remaker wrote:I've turned HRTF from "Auto" to "Off". I did hear it pop again, but it didn't linger on for any more than that, which sort of relives me since I tested with a weapon that made it last longer before.
That you still hear a pop even with HRTF off would suggest a problem with the decoded sound. Maybe a problem with the version of either zmusic or libsndfile used on mac. I tested the Nightshift mod here and it sounded fine. No pop or blaring static.

Post by Guest »

Just made an account to say that this is still a problem in GZDoom 4.4.2. I can try to get a recording (it's somewhat inconsistent, but seems to happen when there's a lot of sounds going on at once), but the sound is definitely the same as what was posted earlier in this thread.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Potential fix was pushed to OpenAL-Soft recently, so upcoming builds should not have this problem.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”