Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gorman Frebmane

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Hello, i have a suggestion for a sector utility. Something similar to blenders triangulate wich makes a polygon only have 3 verticies, in other words makes them ready for vertex slopes.
It would speed up alot of choreful work.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Gorman Frebmane wrote:Hello, i have a suggestion for a sector utility. Something similar to blenders triangulate wich makes a polygon only have 3 verticies, in other words makes them ready for vertex slopes.
It would speed up alot of choreful work.
In the absence of a feature it makes sense to create a prefab. "Do it once use it often."
Spoiler:
Then it is easy to delete or add sectors as required.

I was going to suggest Grubber's ZTerrain, but that would be a bit too complicated, although it would generate a map of any size with triangular sectors.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

After working a few days with UDB and the slope mode and 3d floor mode, I have to thank you guys and everyone who is involved in this editor. This is a blast. Really, I haven't been able to work that fast and effective ever before. Thanks so much for this!
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Just started using UDB and am finding something odd ... not sure if it's a bug or an unimplemented feature. This is with R3440 64-Bit.

I have ZScript and MapInfo lumps; ZScript to define the actors, MapInfo with a DoomEdNums section to give them editor numbers.

UDB seems to ignore the MAPINFO DoomEdNums in some way. I know it is reading the MAPINFO lump and the DoomEdNums declaration section, as if I put something silly there, it complains about a syntax error; however, it does not offer the classes that have an editor number as things in the Edit Thing dialogue. If I subclass the actor in Decorate and give it an editor number there, UDB finds it. If I manually set the editor number, GZDoom finds it OK, so it's legal for the game. Is there anything I can do about this?

MapInfo

Code: Select all

DoomEdNums
{
    30001 = BlackCat
}
ZScript:

Code: Select all

// --- BLACK CAT ---------------------------------------------------------------

Class BlackCat : Actor
{
    protected bool bNeutral;
    property Neutral: bNeutral;

{
        //
        //~BlackCat
        //~========
        //~Class Name      : BlackCat
        //~DoomEdNum       : N/A
        //~Formal Name     : Black Cat
        //~Type            : Animal
        //~Group           : Pesticide
        //~Melee Attack    : Scratch
        //~Missile Attack  : None
        //~Drop Item       : None
        //~Description     : A black cat that can be friendly, neutral or
        //~                  hostile.
        //~
        //~                  This variant is primarily intended as a player
        //~                  helper to be summoned by a black magic artifact;
        //~                  as such, it is suitable for most game styles.
        //~
        //~Documentation   : The graphics are 24-bit PNG, so the class can be used in Heretic and HeXen
        //~                  if required; however, it is primarily intended for Doom and Doom II.
        //~
        //~                  The class BlackCat is a black cat that has several behaviours that as far
        //~                  as possible mimic those of a real cat; this was a deliberate attempt to do
        //~                  for cats what MBF did for dogs. The cat when idle will wash and lick, even
        //~                  purr now and then. When looking for a target for too long, the cat will
        //~                  get bored and become idle again.
        //~
        //~                  If scripting is set up for USESPECIAL, the cat can be given an inventory
        //~                  item that will make him purr when used. Yes, you can pet a cat in Doom!!
        //~
        //~                  To make the cat neutral so that he ignores both players and monsters unless
        //~                  hit or panicked by gunfire, give the cat a BlackCatNeutralFlag for his
        //~                  inventory and set the FRIENDLY flag. In this state, his idling actions are
        //~                  limited, but this is because of engine limitations that at the time of
        //~                  writing cannot be completely overcome by coding.
        //~
        //~                  To make the cat hostile to players, take any BlackCatNeutralFlag from his
        //~                  inventory and clear the FRIENDLY flag.
        //~
        //~                  To make the cat hostile to monsters and friendly to players, take any
        //~                  BlackCatNeutralFlag from his inventory and set the FRIENDLY flag.
        //~
        //~                  To make the cat hostile to everything is not yet implemented; it will
        //~                  require a lot of extra coding and may not be truly reliable, given the
        //~                  current engine limitations. For the moment, never clear the FRIENDLY flag
        //~                  when the cat has no BlackCatNeutralFlag in his inventory; this has never
        //~                  been tested and is most definitely NOT SUPPORTED at this time.
        //~
        //~                  By default the cat is neutral and is coded to jump to the purr state when
        //~                  idling, if given a BlackCatUsedFlag for his inventory; this would normally
        //~                  be accomplished by a script via the USESPECIAL flag, so that you can pet
        //~                  the cat and he will purr for a short time in response.
        //~
        //~                  Note that a plain BlackCat class cat that was summoned with default
        //~                  settings will not wake up until something hits it; you can shoot it with
        //~                  one pistol shot to wake it up. In fact, the cat was originally designed as
        //~                  part of a black magic artefact and is thus MUCH tougher than a real cat; it
        //~                  can kill an imp with little trouble, take a pistol shot easily and regards
        //~                  friendly fire as accidental. In a more realistic setting, you may want to
        //~                  weaken the cat somewhat and/or make it hostile if shot by friendly fire.
        //~
        //~                  This class is intended as a component for use in larger works, but you can
        //~                  summon one at the GZDoom console to try it in-game.
        //~
        //~Idea            : Yellow key in AlienDOOM III : Aliens vs Predator
        //~Source          : Mr Jones sprites modified, recoloured and edited
        //~Credit          : Michael Ghummelt
        //
        //$Category DOOMER
        //$Sprite BCATA2A8
        //
        Radius 10;// for physics only
        Height 10;// for physics only
        Mass 40;
        Speed 15;
        MaxStepHeight 80;
        MaxDropoffHeight 128;
        Health 50;
        PainChance 200;
        Obituary "%o's path was crossed by a black cat.";
        PainSound "blackcat/pain";
        DeathSound "blackcat/death";
        ActiveSound "blackcat/active";
        MONSTER;
        -CANPUSHWALLS;
        -CANUSEWALLS;
        +FLOORCLIP;
        +DROPOFF;
        +LOOKALLAROUND;
        +FRIENDLY;
        BlackCat.Neutral false;
        +USESPECIAL;
    }
    States
    {
        Spawn:
            BCAT A  1 { bNeutral = true; }
            Goto Idle;

Idle:
            BCAT A  8 A_Look();
            BCAT B  8 A_Look();
            Goto Idle;

See:
            BCAT C  2 A_Chase();
            BCAT C  2 A_Chase();
            BCAT C  2 A_Chase();
            BCAT C  2 A_Chase();
            BCAT D  2 A_Chase();
            BCAT D  2 A_Chase();
            BCAT D  2 A_Chase();
            BCAT D  2 A_Chase();
            Goto See;

Melee:
            BCAT E  8 A_FaceTarget();
            BCAT F  8 A_CustomMeleeAttack(Random[BlackCatAttack](3, 4), "blackcat/attack");
            BCAT E  8 A_FaceTarget();
            BCAT F  8 A_CustomMeleeAttack(Random[BlackCatAttack](3, 4), "blackcat/attack");
            Goto See;

Pain:
            BCAT G  3;
            BCAT H  3 A_Pain();
            Goto See;

Death:
            BCAT I  4;
            BCAT J  4 A_Scream();
            BCAT K  4 A_Fall();
            BCAT L  4;
            BCAT M  4;
            BCAT N  4;
            BCAT O  4;
            BCAT P  4;
        Dead:
            BCAT Q -1;
            Stop;

XDeath:
            BCAT R  5;
            BCAT S  5 A_XScream();
            BCAT T  5 A_Fall();
            BCAT U  5;
            BCAT V  5;
            BCAT W -1;
            Stop;

Raise:
            BCAT Q  5;
            BCAT P  5;
            BCAT O  5;
            BCAT N  5;
            BCAT M  5;
            BCAT L  5;
            BCAT K  5;
            BCAT J  5;
            BCAT I  5;
            Goto See;
    }
}

// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

I believe you need to load gzdoom.pk3 as a resource. Make sure to check the "Exclude this resource from testing parameters" box.
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Mikk- wrote:I believe you need to load gzdoom.pk3 as a resource. Make sure to check the "Exclude this resource from testing parameters" box.
Thanks very much, Mikk-, solved it :)
Pedro vc

Post by Pedro vc »

How can I reset controls to default values?
boris

Post by boris »

Pedro vc wrote:How can I reset controls to default values?
Easy way: delete "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Doom Builder\GZBuilder.cfg". That will delete all other settings, though. Alternatively you can open the file and just delete the "shortcuts" block.
Pedro vc

Post by Pedro vc »

boris wrote:
Pedro vc wrote:How can I reset controls to default values?
Easy way: delete "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Doom Builder\GZBuilder.cfg". That will delete all other settings, though. Alternatively you can open the file and just delete the "shortcuts" block.
I deleted the shortcuts block and almost every shortcut was set to nothing instead of resetting to default, except a few ones like the enter visual mode key (Q). It only worked after I deleted the entire file. Thanks by the quick answer
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

I've just updated from Gzdoom Builder to Ultimate, i'm liking it so far and the new renderer is MUCH better.

However, I noticed that it locks the .pk3 or .wad that its reading from, can you fix it?
My workflow with Gzdoom Builder was usually changing stuff on the fly through slade with GZDB opened at the same time, and then just reloading resources.
For some reason now I can't apply any changes through Slade because the file is "in use with another program", so I have to close the UDB, save the changes in Slade, and then open the map again.
boris

Post by boris »

R3458 of Ultime Doom Builder changed its internal data structures from using single precision floating point numbers ("float") to double precision floating point numbers ("double"). This change was necessary because "float" lacked enough precision for certain operations related to GZDoom's plane equation slopes (the slopes didn't look correctly). Ideally you will not notice this change at all (except that some numbers might have more decimal places). However, code-wise this was a pretty massive change, and while all known bugs related to the conversion have been fixed, it's possible that there are some left. If you encounter any bugs feel free to open an issue at https://github.com/jewalky/UltimateDoomBuilder/issues
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

Well, I've been trying to use this program for a while now and ... no, this is not for me. Too much of a learning curve and a hassle to get things done. It's a good program and I'm sure that there are enough people who can use it and do stuff with it, Sigil was made with and older version of Doom Builder and turned out to be a very good unofficial Doom episode and I'm sure that many great things will be created with Doom Builder and its fork, it's just not for me.

Don't get me wrong, it's obviously a powerful editor and I applaud its release and efforts that goes into it, especially when the original Doom game is almost 30 years old but where I have big problems creating only one room in Doom Builder, I can make that same room almost blindfolded or one hand tied to a chair in DEU and derivatives (Deth, Zeth, Winzeth). The screenshots that I have posted in November of last year, are all done in WinZeth (4.17, from the old ZDoom pages) and I'm using Borg's fork of Zeth due WinZeth crapping out with a memory error, so I do know my way around in a Doom editor.

Maybe this will change in the future but right now, no this one is not for me . . .
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm impressed that you could get that done with old-style editors. Even in '94/'95 I was using a combination of editors to avoid having to do everything in DEU.

It took me a little while to get into DoomBuilder because I was so familiar with DeePsea but, eventually, I just forced myself to learn it. Once you get over that initial learning hump, it's actually really very, very good and so many of the features "just work". At the most basic of levels the way it allows you to lay down lines and draw out your rooms is almost flawless.

If it's not for you, then it's not for you but I would recommend persevering with it. I honestly think that it's worthwhile.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

a thing that helped me switching from deepsea to this was that you can edit the hotkeys to be more familiar. That reduced the learning curve tremendously.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Apprentice wrote:Well, I've been trying to use this program for a while now and ... no, this is not for me.
Maybe this will change in the future but right now, no this one is not for me . . .
I have linked to Doom Builder: An Illustrated Guide multiple times in other posts, because for those new to mapping with any of the DB2 family of map editors it is an easy way to learn how this mapping for various formats works. It was written for Doombuilder2 but it is still valid.

I used to map with Zeth 4.17 in ye olden days, and I tried WinZETH recently out of nostalgia. It used to be so easy but now, after using GZDB/UDB, oh the agony.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”