Crash on Ubuntu 20.4 with FluidSynth

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.

Crash on Ubuntu 20.4 with FluidSynth

Post by Guest »

If FluidSynth is enabled, GZDoom 4.3.3 crashes on Ubuntu 20.4 with following error:

*** Fatal Error ***
Address not mapped to object (signal 11)
Address: 0x7fce3557e0bc

Ubuntu 20.4 does not have libfluidsynth1 package, but has libfluisynth2 (that is installed).
At start, the following message is printed:

fluidsynth: warning: SDL2 not initialized, SDL2 audio driver won't be usable

Re: Crash on Ubuntu 20.4 with FluidSynth

Post by Guest »

hmm, i wonder if that's what's happening to me? i'm getting infinite hangs every time i try to start a new game or load any of my saves, and sometimes it's crashed in the menus with that error.

Post by Guest »

[quote="Samuel Nennerstock"]hmm, i wonder if that's what's happening to me? i'm getting infinite hangs every time i try to start a new game or load any of my saves, and sometimes it's crashed in the menus with that error.[/quote]

it was what was happening to me. curiously the opening midi doesn't seem to cause an issue the first time it plays, but as soon as it tries to play anything again, it hangs or crashes. all the other sound engines work fine, and switching back to fluidsynth when music is playing instantly crashes.

it seems like it's having trouble with sdl2 - i get messages in the console that it could not be initalized and would not be available:

"fluidsynth: warning: SDL2 not initialized, SDL2 audio driver won't be usable"

and then i get a bunch of these errors in the console:

(process:47601): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 09:59:23.195: cannot register existing type 'IpatchSplitsType'

(process:47601): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 09:59:23.195: g_param_spec_enum: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_ENUM (enum_type)' failed

** (process:47601): CRITICAL **: 09:59:23.195: ipatch_type_install_property: assertion 'G_IS_PARAM_SPEC(prop_spec)' failed

(process:47601): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 09:59:23.195: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion 'g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed

(process:47601): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 09:59:23.195: cannot register existing type 'IpatchSF2GenType'

(process:47601): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 09:59:23.195: cannot retrieve class for invalid (unclassed) type '<invalid>'

** (process:47601): CRITICAL **: 09:59:23.195: file /build/libinstpatch-i701yY/libinstpatch-1.1.2/libinstpatch/IpatchSF2Gen.c: line 148 (_ipatch_sf2_gen_init): assertion `enum_class != NULL' failed.

there are more errors, that's just the first few i got. they get continually spammed into the console while gzdoom hangs.
also, i realise this should probably have been posted in the audio bugs subforum... could a mod move it there?
linuxunil

Post by linuxunil »

Just pitching in to say that I have the same problem.

In a complete new Pop OS 20.04 installation I compiled GZDoom without apparent problems, but when I try to start a game GZDoom freezes.

Between another things it says:

Code: Select all

Sound init failed. Using nosound.
Unable to create WildMidi MIDI device. Falling back to FluidSynth

If I go to Sound Options > Midi device, I can go through the different devices and when it comes the moment to load fluidsynth it freezes in the same way than when trying a new game.
ImpBR
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ImpBR »

Got the exact same issue :(
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If this here is correct, there's not much that can be done on our side: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... untu-2004/
fartcommander
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by fartcommander »

Is there anything we can do as users to fix this? I tried installing timidity and libfluidsynth from the repos and I still get no sound :(
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

This report is not about missing sounds. It was about crash/hang with particular version of FluidSynth.
If you have an issue related to sound, start a new topic with extensive description of the problem.

Post by Guest »

The same thing happened to me, I solved it within the game menu, sound options. I changed the MIDI device to the next one in the list (GUS Emulation) and fixed issue.

Post by Guest »

http://debian.drdteam.org/pool/multiver ... uidsynth1/ installing this new version fixed it for me.

Post by Guest »

Hi!

if you are looking for an easy way to install the latest version of GZDoom and all required dependencies/versions, you can give a try from here:

https://launchpad.net/~xtradeb/+archive/ubuntu/play

Cheers!
Jhonny

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”