Manually loadable .inis

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

I'mSorry
Operating System Version (Optional): Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Manually loadable .inis

Post by I'mSorry »

Making .ini files loadable like .wads or .pk3s would be very useful. A common complaint from friends and family when we play DOOM is that they don’t like to change bindings all the time for every mod we play, and after a while I started to see what they were talking about. Having .inis laudable would make things so much more less of a hassles for people that love to play multiple wads and mods.

It is also a bit annoying when you want to play some split screen with a friend and you have to go through all the hassle of setting things up for 2 source ports and going back and forth because you forgot to bind one little thing haha. So because of that I thought that maybe making .inis loadable as well would greatly improve things.

One way to get around this binding “issue” would be to just copy your main .ini, name it something else, and use the other .ini to bind everything for a mod and just switch between those two or however many mods you have. Another way would be to have copies of a source port, one for a mod and another 2 for split screen and so on. These 2 work arounds make things a bit harder to track what is what, even if you label everything though.

It would be amazing If you could load an .ini with a batch file and stuff. Having something like:
gzdoom-”YourUserName”.ini
gzdoom-BrutalDoom.ini
gzdoom-Splitscreen_Player1.ini
gzdoom-Splitscreen_Player2.ini
gzdoom-ETC.ini

And just do something like this:
gzdoom -iwad doom.wad -file abort_m_v1.1.1.pk3 gzdoom-ABORTbind.ini etc. etc. etc.
Would be so useful.

GZDoom would load the normal user .ini but if you manually load another .ini file it would omit or skip the user .ini.

That fake split screen feature is amazing btw, couch co-op/deathmatch has to be one of the most fun things I’ve ever played with GZDoom haha

Thanks for listening to me ramble <33
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Manually loadable .inis

Post by phantombeta »

[wiki=Command_line_parameters#config]This already exists[/wiki].
SanyaWaffles
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 for the Motorola Powerstack II
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SanyaWaffles »

if I remember correctly you can load INI files using the -config parameter and that will specify what ini to use.

EDIT: Phantombeta beat me to it, I was right.
I'mSorry

Post by I'mSorry »

phantombeta wrote:[wiki=Command_line_parameters#config]This already exists[/wiki].
I must have been doing something wrong then, I'll keep trying to make it work, thank you <3
I'mSorry

Post by I'mSorry »

SanyaWaffles wrote:if I remember correctly you can load INI files using the -config parameter and that will specify what ini to use.

EDIT: Phantombeta beat me to it, I was right.
Oh wow, Thank you! <3
I'll try this out :D

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”