[Community Sequel] [FINISHED] 40 Monsters Challenge

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DavidN

Re: [Community Sequel] 40 Monsters Challenge

Post by DavidN »

The 20 monsters WAD was one of the first big ZDoom projects I ever played - so I'm in :) I'm thinking of doing an almost exclusively puzzle-themed map (mutator 7) that would fit in the MAP31-35 slot called Hell's Library.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Excellent! Glad to have you aboard, man. I'll update the OP. MAP32 is all yours.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Added a new mutator (suggested by FishyClockwork):
Must be large. For reference, about the size of Doom 2’s MAP20 in terms of area.
On the fence about how much of a challenge it actually is, but given the fact there are only 40 monsters, it could be considered a challenge. We'll see how it goes. Could be there for people who don't feel like they can tackle the other mutators.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Author(s): Voltcom
Map Name: Industrial Underground (V2) Updated the Map to be slightly more difficult / detailed.
Music: "Rickets" by the Deftones (freemidi)
Slot: MAP03

Mutators:
#8 the floor is lava (the majority of the map is submersed in lava)
#10 Map must have 1 barrel and exactly 1 barrel and it must be all important. (this barrel is very, very important)
#14 Majority of a map is in two colors (ala Quake, mostly Brown and red)

Extra Notes: Doomguy emerges in a large abandoned underground facility, which has become partially submerged in a lake of lava.
- contains only 28 monsters :)
- designed for no jump, no crouch, freelook is optional

Misc Texture Credits: I've provided the OTEX texture pack by UKIRO with the map just for quick play purposes, for the compilation just copy my map to the pk3. It uses many OTEX textures.

Download Link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0pnqkd6itj2r ... 3.WAD?dl=0
Last edited by Voltcom9 on Sun May 17, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Wow that was quick! Thanks!

EDIT: Dang, the map looks amazing!
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

I just updated my map to fix a few minor issues. A few extra enemies were added and some varied health and powerups for balancing too.
Download link is in the above link.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Downloaded and updated.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

New mutator, suggested by Bill: Must use lots of 3D floors.

How much is "lots" is rather subjective. Just use as many as both the engine and your imagination permit. Don't go too overboard, though. Gotta keep maps performance-friendly.

Also at this point they're hardly even mutators, just "challenges", but let's call them mutators for the rest of this project purely for consistency's sake.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Quick update on ze rules.
Ze rules wrote: - Do NOT use textures from other tex packs. They come with their own TEXTURES and ANIMDEFS definitions, and if I don’t include the entire thing, the console will be flooded with warnings. The ONLY exception to this rule is if you manually check which textures you have used and assemble a NEW ANIMDEFS and TEXTURES files that contain only the textures you’ve used.
This was allowed until recently when I got submitted a map that had textures from a pack. I originally allowed this, thinking it would be no big deal, but now I've come to regret this decision.

So, going forward, if you're using textures from a pack, make sure you copy over only the used textures in a clean TEXTURES file and don't add ANIMDEFS definitions for non-existent textures. I don't want players to have to watch a scrolling wall of warnings for five seconds every time they launch this mapset because someone's TEXTURES file used half a texture pack's worth of missing textures and patches.

For the record, this approach is much easier than to just remove the missing entries when you're done. I've tried that. It's hell.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Another update on the rules (boy, these rules sure change too often, don't they):

Custom monsters are now allowed, BUT only if the monster is critical to the mutator you have picked. Mutator 7 comes to mind (puzzle is a central element of the map). It will also NOT violate mutator 4 (no monsters allowed; hazards, puzzles and such encouraged) if it is considered a constant hazard and/or part of the puzzle.

If you are not sure about whether a monster you have in mind violates the rules or not, please PM/DM me with details and we'll figure it out.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

If it has not already been claimed, I'd like to take a shot at MAP06. :D
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Welcome back! Reserved you a spot on that slot. Let me know when you've picked a mutator, or several.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Several updates regarding the rules. Again.

Bottom line is that you don't have to do anything on your end to adapt to the changes; I just streamlined some rules and removed others. Changelog below:
  • Removed individual monster limit for almost all monsters and raised it for the remaining ones.
  • Size limits are no longer individual but rather shared between a list of assets. I believe this simplifies things a lot. That means you can have 5 MB worth of sprites. Or 5 MB worth of music. Or 2.5 MB sprites and 2.5 MB music. Up to you. See the doc for the full list.
  • Added explicit rules about models. Yes, they're allowed, but subject to the abovementioned limits.
  • Removed "must be large" mutator. Just as I thought, it was kind of pointless.
  • Added some more comments, put existing comments under the text instead of to the right, and colored them dark orange.
For the record I'm gonna change the doc for all eternity. In fact, the end is near. All these changes are prompted by developer discussions and good suggestions from friends. The goal is to make things to-the-point, easier to understand, and still detailed enough to not leave people confused.
Conmon

Post by Conmon »

Hi there — MAP09 is calling my name... I'm thinking mutator #9 (time/dimension warp).

Also, I'm waffling on the "two colors" mutator. If, in theory, the map had like 3 "dimensions," could that look like a two-color scheme for each zone? If that makes sense...?
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

I think that could work, yeah. Welcome aboard! I'll write down only mutator #9 for now. Let me know if you've decided to try the two colors one as well. You can change mutators at any time before the deadline.

Return to “Levels”