Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - THREAD EVACUATION

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tesculpture

Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - Hiatus Notice

Post by Tesculpture »

Pipsqueak wrote:I've been playing Ashes with Nash's gore mod and I've noticed that the gibs for cockroaches are the same size as enemies, it looks really off seeing a tiny squished cockroach surrounded by human-sized organs and intestines. Does anyone have a solution for this?
On the contrary, I found it hilarious when I tried stabbing one with the boot knife and was drenched head to foot in cockroach juice for my troubles.

A far better pursuit would be genetically modifying real life cockroaches so they do this in real life. The new species would be called Instantus Regretus.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Out of nowhere, Ashes just implemented the Bloody Mess perk from Fallout series.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Pipsqueak wrote:I've been playing Ashes with Nash's gore mod and I've noticed that the gibs for cockroaches are the same size as enemies, it looks really off seeing a tiny squished cockroach surrounded by human-sized organs and intestines. Does anyone have a solution for this?
I know. I noticed this in my personal playthroughs of Ashes and my gore mod and it always cracks me up. :mrgreen:

I'll see what I can do about this. This is something that needs to be taken care of from NashGore's side, not Ashes.
JMP-Jack

Post by JMP-Jack »

Just messing around with my synth (and my guitar of course) due to covid 19 lockdown.
This is my tribute to John S Weekley, Vostyok and Ashes 2063. Hope you like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi10zPQ ... e=youtu.be
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

JMP-Jack wrote:Just messing around with my synth (and my guitar of course) due to covid 19 lockdown.
This is my tribute to John S Weekley, Vostyok and Ashes 2063. Hope you like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi10zPQ ... e=youtu.be
Duuuuuuuuuude
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - Back In The Game

Post by Vostyok »

Bloody Mess Trait confirmed. I am wondering if roaches are affected by giving them special xdeath states, that might override the "sploosh" of going to the normal xdeath state. Hmm...

I've been quite busy while I've been away, but I'm not quite ready to show off what I've been upto yet. Project is technically off its Hiatus status, but please wait for further updates. The time has not yet come.

Also, not gonna lie. That remix is pretty fucking dope. :D
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

Only just got around to saying this, but I loved the first episode of this TC (and Dead Man Walking) and I look forward to the next one.
Spoiler: more specific feedback; contains spoilers for plot/secrets
Sebrw

Post by Sebrw »

Hi Vostyok!

Just passing by and wanted to thank you for this amazing work. Your mod is unique in both gameplay and atmosphere and is just competing with one other mod for my overall best doom gameplay experience so far. I'm waiting episode 2 to rank it #1 :D

Just by curiosity, you say in your intro you were heavily inspired by post-apocalyptic games and movies. While I can guess what games we are talking about, I'm a sucker for movies I may not know and I would like to know if you can share some of your favourite ones on this topic (post-apocalyptic theme). We got Mad Max movies of course but do you have others?

As for books I highly recommend the metro serie by Dmitry Glukhovsky!

Thanks again!
camper

Post by camper »

Episode One Sterilised Edition aren't made for vanilla, is it meant that need to use the gzdoom port?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Yes, the maps themselves use ZDoom features, the sterilized edition is just to use gameplay mods.
camper

Post by camper »

I started Ashes in other port, it is quite playable, although some errors are present.
https://open.tube/videos/watch/6a06b155 ... 2d8553ca89
Sebrw

Post by Sebrw »

To Vostyok: Thanks for suggestion. I cannot send PM yet so I thank you here.

Your comment about the easter egg for the metro serie pushed me to replay the whole mod + dmw :-D and I found the postcard room if it what you means ;-)
I also loved the escape from NY references (Plissken direct reference and also Kurt Russel cameo :p). And was that a Judge dredd reference on that map when you start facing a poster for 2063AD comics? :-D

You just know how to talk to your public, I can't get enough of your mod, really great work!

And for all those here that like me are eagerly waiting episode 2, I advise you to play the Ashes monster + weapons with the bloody Steel wad. The maps are realistic enough to fit well with Ashes spirit although they do not have that dusty atmosphere. And It's a great challenge with Ashes weapons. You will occasionally encounter a doom2 monster but that's ok and makes it even more challenging! FAL mod highly recommended for survival in > hard mode ;-)
Nash

Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - Back In The Game

Post by Nash »

Vostyok wrote:Bloody Mess Trait confirmed. I am wondering if roaches are affected by giving them special xdeath states, that might override the "sploosh" of going to the normal xdeath state. Hmm...
Yes, if you create a custom "death by stomp" state, bypassing the vanilla XDeath state completely, then you won't get Bloody Roach Mess effect with NashGore.

From a technical point of view, all NashGore is doing is intercepting vanilla XDeath states.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Could tracers for bullet weapons be added in a later build?
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: (wip) Ashes 2063 TC - Back to work

Post by Vostyok »

@Tesculpture
Glad you liked it! I didn't unfortunately get to include all the setpieces and features I wanted into ep1, partly due to time and partly lack of knowledge. I'm thinking of adding these in (as well as a slightly retooled end map) into a remastered ep1 at some point. I will hopefully add a few surprises as well, but nothing major story wise, so you won't miss anything if you don't fancy replaying the first episode. I am sure John appreciates your comments on the music. The new tracks he has revealed for episode 2 are really something special. The statue will also be explained, btw. Hopefully. Heh.

@Sebrw
Reply sent by Pm. If you notice a reference to something in Ashes btw, it's a good bet its something I've watched or read recently and enjoyed.
BloodySteel is a very good wad for this. A lot of Russian wads are, I noticed. Check out Monster hunter Ltd part 1 and 2 as well.
@Camper
I do enjoy seeing your experiments. I'm working on getting this running on Qzdoom and Lzdoom for older hardware. I will have to see how that goes.

@Nash
Yes, this is what I imagined would work. It works the same in the Bolognese mod for enemies killed with fire attacks. They don't gib unless hit directly, regardless of damage. Maybe I should leave a "bloody mess" option as a cvar for those who like it. Heh.

@TheOldKingCole
Done in my current working build. All enemies shoot tracers and it seems to work well. Not sure if I will be adding this to player weapons, as projectile weapons act weird around scenery/don't quite aim where they say they do. I will experiment.

@everyone
Thank you for all the comments. Please watch this space for more news. I'm getting close to the point where I shall be revealing a bit more of the next saga of the story. :D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”