Translation - Brazilian portuguese PT-BR

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Daniel

Translation - Brazilian portuguese PT-BR

Post by Daniel »

Hello,

I've been out for a long time. Now, with some free time, I've finished the translation of LANGUAGE entry for (*)ZDoom, based on the previous work by Patryck de Oliveira. I've added new strings from the latest version of LZDoom (3.8.5) and looked for better words than some used in the latest translation. If the developers wish, it may be added as a language.ptb in (*)ZDoom.pk3 file. The file follows in annex.

Cheers,
Daniel
Attachments
language.txt
Language file (PT-BR)
(119.51 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
irukanjji

Re: Translation - Brazilian portuguese PT-BR

Post by irukanjji »

Como Português gamer eu agradeço
Gez

Post by Gez »

The way languages are handled has been changed a bit, see this thread for information. Don't worry, though, someone on the translation team can probably apply your changes.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

irukanjji wrote:Como Português gamer eu agradeço
Tranquilo!
Gez wrote:The way languages are handled has been changed a bit, see this thread for information. Don't worry, though, someone on the translation team can probably apply your changes.
Hum... seems that is has changed a lot, btw. The file must be inserted into the official spreadsheet. Let see if the developers are still interested.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I cannot read Portuguese and the Portuguese translation has seen a lot of work - both for European and Brazilian Portuguese - so whatever you did, I couldn't even begin to decide which text would be the better one.

So, unless someone took the time comparing the texts line by line and swapping out those which are ok to do, this will go unused.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I could merge this. I've found recently that there was a missing string:

Code: Select all

CMPTMNU_RAILINGHACK			= "Enable buggy Strife railing";
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Graf Zahl wrote:I cannot read Portuguese and the Portuguese translation has seen a lot of work - both for European and Brazilian Portuguese - so whatever you did, I couldn't even begin to decide which text would be the better one.
Portuguese from Portugal is a lot different; better call a Portuguese doomer.

Something I tried to do is found synonyms that doesn't use accents; it's much better for English-native engines. I've did it for all pickup strings, however, couldn't do it with cluster texts.
drfrag wrote:I could merge this. I've found recently that there was a missing string:

Code: Select all

CMPTMNU_RAILINGHACK			= "Enable buggy Strife railing";
Thanks, dear drfrag! Here follows the language file with your mentioned string.
Attachments
language.txt
(119.57 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Daniel wrote:Something I tried to do is found synonyms that doesn't use accents; it's much better for English-native engines. I've did it for all pickup strings, however, couldn't do it with cluster texts.
GZDoom got support for accents and got accented versions of the IWAD fonts during the localization effort. Adding something like this would just undo the work we did for no good reason.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Daniel! That's a golden veteran user right there. Welcome back. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Daniel wrote: Something I tried to do is found synonyms that doesn't use accents; it's much better for English-native engines. I've did it for all pickup strings, however, couldn't do it with cluster texts.
Phantombeta already said everything I'd have to say about such an effort. I might just as well close the thread then.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

phantombeta wrote:
Daniel wrote:Something I tried to do is found synonyms that doesn't use accents; it's much better for English-native engines. I've did it for all pickup strings, however, couldn't do it with cluster texts.
GZDoom got support for accents and got accented versions of the IWAD fonts during the localization effort. Adding something like this would just undo the work we did for no good reason.
Did you read what I've written? Accents are still needed for cluster strings. All work done with it still would be necessary.
Graf Zahl wrote:Phantombeta already said everything I'd have to say about such an effort. I might just as well close the thread then.
Fine. Just before you close this thread, know that I DENY you to use this language file on "your" crappy GZDoom. Your arrogance is still the same after all those years with active people helping you with your achievements. I don't know why I still waste my time trying to help...
Last edited by Daniel on Sat May 09, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

drfrag wrote:Added, check next devbuild. https://github.com/drfrag666/gzdoom/com ... 41c184b72b
Thank you drfrag! Hope it would yelp to improve the source port.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Daniel wrote:
phantombeta wrote:
Did you read what I've written? Accents are still needed for cluster strings. All work done with it still would be necessary.
Graf Zahl wrote:Phantombeta already said everything I'd have to say about such an effort. I might just as well close the thread then.
Fine. Just before you close this thread, know that I DENY you to use this language file on "your" crappy GZDoom. Your arrogance is still the same after all those years with active people helping you with your achievements. I don't know why I still waste my time trying to help...
Entitled much? How is refusing to pull in changes "arrogance"? No one's entitled to having their changes accepted. Grow the fuck up.
And hilariously enough, accents work just fine in cluster texts:
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Just like as I've told, with all the Portuguese errors in GZDoom's language.ptb in which "Zahl" doesn't want to fix. The problem are not the accents, but the meaning of the text. Translation is not an exact science; the context must be considered. If not, Google would be the best translator ever.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”