Fix intermission scaling

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Scuba Steve

Fix intermission scaling

Post by Scuba Steve »

Speaking of scaling that feels awkward, the flat textures used between episodes in Doom2 always look better when displayed in their original resolution, not scaled. Is there any way to keep the original flat scale instead of higher resolutions scaling them down to tiny, repeated patterns? It's bothered me for a long time that it changes based on your resolution.
Nash

Re: Widescreen console stretched

Post by Nash »

Scuba Steve wrote:Speaking of scaling that feels awkward, the flat textures used between episodes in Doom2 always look better when displayed in their original resolution, not scaled. Is there any way to keep the original flat scale instead of higher resolutions scaling them down to tiny, repeated patterns? It's bothered me for a long time that it changes based on your resolution.
Yeah, it's known: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63856

Concidently, I thought this was easy to fix so I attempted to take a look last week. After some Ctrl Shift F'ing, I was led to F2DDrawer::AddFlatFill. I mucked around with it but I was too tired to figure it out and abandoned it. :shrug:

(I agree, it looks horrible tiled like that really tiny. Imagine how much worse it'd look on 4k screens)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Nash wrote:After some Ctrl Shift F'ing, I was led to F2DDrawer::AddFlatFill. I mucked around with it but I was too tired to figure it out and abandoned it. :shrug:
Thanks for that, that led me to this branch: https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/tre ... er_scaling

Set CVar "inter_classic_scaling true" to activate it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Should that default to true for the vanilla flats? I can't think why the unscaled version is considered good-looking :shrug:
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Does that mean a player would have to activate it or would original scale be the default?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Nash wrote:Should that default to true for the vanilla flats? I can't think why the unscaled version is considered good-looking :shrug:
I don't know, the default really is not up to me, if I put in a new CVAR I always set them conservatively (i.e. no change) in order to not unnecessarily upset the status quo.
Scuba Steve wrote:Does that mean a player would have to activate it or would original scale be the default?
You'll have to activate it, for now. If Graf is okay with defaulting it to true though I have no issue switching it to become the default.
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Setting it to default would be the preferred method. It preserves the original Doom behavior and is simply aesthetically more pleasing.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I would agree. It's not up to me though.
Rachael

Re: Fix intermission scaling

Post by Rachael »

I've split this into its own topic.

As a note that branch currently cannot be merged, and I have no idea if it will cherry-pick without conflicts onto master (nor am I interested in trying). I'll merge it in once the texture rework gets merged into master.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It should be the default and I'm not even sure it needs an option, aside from appeasing those who cannot accept the sudden change. Another place where something should be done is the border scaling, it should match the actual scaling factor of the status bar.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Oh, cool. I'll leave it in as an option then, but I won't bother making a menu entry. But otherwise, it's becoming the default.

I'll work on the border scaling but I don't imagine it's going to be as simple as the intermission screen was.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bit of scaling. Making the 64x64 flats appear the size that they would have at 320x200 means that you are faced with a wall of huge square(ish) pixels behind the text. They are blocky and ugly (IMO of course) and would be one of the few things that you would be forced to look at in its original appearance (now menus no longer appear huge and HUD scaling is optioned). However, the other extreme of no scaling leaves these tiny little tiles of flats that repeat over and over in an equally ugly way. Having how much scaling is done would be a nice user option IMO.

However, if it came down to the current view versus scaling to a 320x200 appearance, I would also want it to default to the latter.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... 27c26f98ee

Effected the new default, also fixed a goof-up where I originally hard-coded texture values for testing.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Alternatively, could make them have the same scale as the text itself, rather than always 320x200.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm planning on including customization, but I am trying to do the screen border first.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”