Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
boris

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Post by boris »

I can reproduce that pasting of textures with more than 8 characters doesn't work in that dialog (will be fixed in the next release), but it doesn't crash for me.
Jaska
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Jaska »

boris wrote:I can reproduce that pasting of textures with more than 8 characters doesn't work in that dialog (will be fixed in the next release), but it doesn't crash for me.
Yeah, crashes are quite rare. Have to keep in mind when they occur. Propably on 3D-floor mode? But doesn't it use the same texture selector.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

I have a question about the visibility of user defined actors. I am using Build R3428.

I have a couple of them that do not show up in Ultimate Doom Builders "User defined" section when trying to place them in the map. When I place an object and give it the ID of said actors, it is displayed as the "?"-placeholder.
The actors are fully functional ingame when I launch it, its just inside the editor where they do not show up. Other actors inside the same pk3 are displayed and are listed unter User defined. Changing object IDs does not help.

Anyone got an idea what could cause this? It isn't more than an inconvenience, and very possibly not an issue with UDB itself, but it would still be very useful.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

FFFFRRRR wrote: .....
Anyone got an idea what could cause this? It isn't more than an inconvenience, and very possibly not an issue with UDB itself, but it would still be very useful.
For an actor to be visible in an editor it needs to have a unique DoomEd number.

This number can be assigned to a ZSCRIPT actor in a DoomEdNums block MAPINFO/Editor number.

For a DECORATE actor you can use the above method or append the DoomEd number to the actor name.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

Huh. Didn't know you could also define them in Mapinfo. That way I now found out I had a couple of numbers twice. Everything shows up now.
Thank you!
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Unsure if this has been asked before or not, but I am not able to edit these resources while they are loaded in UDB even if "Open map resources in read-only mode" is selected. I did not have a problem with doing this with gzdoombuilder so I assume it has something to do with the more efficient resource loading?
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

I found an interesting use of the dynamic lights.
Spoiler:
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

I also have had some crashes without any report. It occurs when I zoom out on my map very far away. Builder just freezes for some time and disappears.
Kappes Buur

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder spawning monsters

Post by Kappes Buur »

This thread over on Doomworld caused me to play around with various spawn specials.

I started out with making a simple map, using UDB r3435, with the items given in that script. Testing with GZDoom 4.3.3 the text would display but no monsters spawned. Then I added two more items to my map and the text and the medikit showed up, no monsters. Then I tried older versions of UDB, then GZDBBF and GZDB. No monsters spawned.

Then I loaded my pwad into DBX and DB2 and everything work just fine with GZDoom 4.3.3.

Is there something missing in UDB which would cause the monsters not to spawn?
Attachments
TEST_SPAWN.wad
testing testing
(4.72 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
boris

Post by boris »

Works fine for me. Just make sure you're not starting it with -nomonsters, then the monsters will not spawn.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

(expletive, more expletive)
Yup, works just fine. Getting old is the pits.
And the clues were right there.
Thank you for testing. :)
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sat May 02, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I'd like to bring up the topic of pk3 write access in SLADE again :3:
When loading a pk3 in UDB, and also having it opened in SLADE, it can't be saved in SLADE. This was possible in GZDB-BF and was very handy when chaning things like actor radius etc., or even adding new actors without having to close UDB, saving the edits, then runningUDB again. Please make it like before, I have to keep using GZDB-BF for that reason :|
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

^ This.

I'll be mid-edit and decide to pull the latest GZDoom dev build, and I now have to close my map so that I can paste in the new gzdoom.pk3. This never happened on older versions of the editor.

I use my resources as a directory, and when I save a new resource in a folder, I just have to hit F8 to reload and have access to the new actor/texture/whatever. What keeps us from having the same capability when loading resources from a .pk3?
boris

Post by boris »

It looks like it worked before by pure chance. There's a branch with a fix, but I'm waiting for another dev to review it because I'm not really familiar with those file streams.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

I asked this on page 1 and while it was mentioned by ZZYZX nothing has happened to it:

Could the config file be renamed to UDBuilder.cfg to differentiate UDB from GZDBBF/GZDB?

How difficult would it be to change GZ to UD?
Last edited by Kappes Buur on Sat May 02, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”