Trying to convert MIDIs songs, help!

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Sandro

Trying to convert MIDIs songs, help!

Post by Sandro »

Hello there,

So I wanted to add in my computer's music library, the songs I liked from various wads I played.
Here's basically what I do:
- Open any .wad in Slade, display audio only.
- Export MIDIs files in a given folder (convert .mus to .mid if necessary)
- Open files in foobar2000, right clik on selection > convert to .mp3 (This way I can tag them properly in my library)
- Done!

As I play Doom with default windows soundfont (gm.dls), I wanted to have the exact same sound, so I converted gm.dls (windows>system32>drivers) to gm.sf2 using "ExtremeSampleConverter", so foobar2000 can use it as my default midi soundfont.

However, I noticed that some files (not all) are badly read : I often hear a tiny scratch in the background, in parts where music is quieter. (A typical example I found is Sunder Map 10's song, aka Sneaky Snake from Duke Nukem 3D) and it really annoys me because I'd start to doubt about every file I convert (what I do actually)...
I suspect the .dls to .sf2 conversion to be corrupted, but I don't know any other way to convert this file.

I tried different approaches :
- downloading directly gm.sf2 (via musical-artifacts.com), but it appears the sound is much louder.
- using a very close soundfont : GMGSx.sf2, but same issue as above, though it depends on what instrument is used. (the difference is very noticeable with midi version of Cavern Caprice from DKC3, found in Mayan Mishap's map 01)

So I'm running out of solutions... I know I'm probably too meticulous, but I really want to have a proper sound (the same than the one in-game) and so far I'm either stuck on a louder sound, or either using a different soundfont which is not what I want. :|
Gez

Re: Trying to convert MIDIs songs, help!

Post by Gez »

If you're happy with how they sound in-game, then you can use [wiki=CCMDs:Other#writewave]GZDoom itself[/wiki] to convert the midis to WAV format, and then wav to MP3 with foobar2000.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

I could work, but it's awfully slow, especially when you compare it to a whole MIDI selection in Slade, where I'd just need a minute to convert any number of files I want....
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

XMPlay can also do this, using wave output and BASSMIDI input with any soundfont you like the sound of.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Ok, I tried XMPlay, and I got the same result (tiny scratch at a regular interval (each 2sec or so)), so my conclusion is that my gm.sf2 version is somehow corrupted. (for the record, mine weights 3.188KB)

However, I'm still unable to find the correct/original one. Are GZDoom/Zandronum/etc. using gm.dls from the system32>drivers folder ? In that case it would mean I can't find a way to convert the correct file properly...
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sandro wrote:Are GZDoom/Zandronum/etc. using gm.dls from the system32>drivers folder ?
>That depends which [wiki]softsynth[/wiki] you use. If it's MS GM Wavetable Softsynth, then yes.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

For over a decade now the soundfont I have used to get the same sound as gzdoom has been https://stash.reaper.fm/v/23360/Scc1t2.sf2

Only a few minor instruments are different, give it a try, I *think* it's what you are looking for. Also I personally use Foobar2000 for conversion but I heard good things about XMPlay from a friend, I believe they are similar, so it's your call.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Thank you for your answers. I finally had time to investigate, and I found another app to convert .dls file to .sf2. This time it seems it is working perfectly without any corruption in it.
(Scc1t2.sf2 was like the others : a slightly minor difference that bothers me nevertheless... It'd work fine for 99% of tracks, but I can't help but focus on the 1% left... :) )
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Is there any chance the converted soundfont, or at least the application, could be shared then?
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Sorry for the bump, but I'd like to know how you did that as well. I've just been (unwillingly) accepting scc1t2.sf2's slightly different sound from gm.dls, but if there's a way to get a "proper" conversion of gm.dls to gm.sf2, that'd be awesome. When using gm.sf2, after conversion, certain instruments/channels seem to have their volume, attack and other attributes really noticeably different, easily noticeable on the E1M3 and E1M6 tracks in particular (percussion way too quiet, synth way too loud)
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

If you really want that Microsoft Synthesizer MIDI rendering preserved as a WAV, Winamp's in_midi can sample the output to WAV via using the near-identical synthesizer with the DirectMusic API that's been there since DirectX 6*

* - i haven't tried this since 2001 i don't know if it still can
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

Either way I appreciate the suggestion, I will give that a try

Return to “Off-Topic”