Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Post by Kappes Buur »

Baysha wrote:...
I don't know why it only worked for this monster.
Nobody but yourself know what you have done with your pwad, or how you set up your editor.
And since you do not know why whatever went wrong with the monsters, it would be advisable for you to upload your pwad for perusal.
Baysha

Post by Baysha »

Kappes Buur wrote:
Baysha wrote:...
I don't know why it only worked for this monster.
Nobody but yourself know what you have done with your pwad, or how you set up your editor.
And since you do not know why whatever went wrong with the monsters, it would be advisable for you to upload your pwad for perusal.
Ok. This is the wad I was using. The editor said there were some errors with double-defining in a DECORATE class, so I cleaned that up and now DECORATE classes work. But most ZSCRIPT classes still won't show up in the menu.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ak-3qG ... nFxWw/view
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Baysha wrote: Ok. This is the wad I was using. ...
Downloading does not work so good
Spoiler:
Jaska
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Jaska »

Baysha wrote: Ok. This is the wad I was using. The editor said there were some errors with double-defining in a DECORATE class, so I cleaned that up and now DECORATE classes work. But most ZSCRIPT classes still won't show up in the menu.
I think this might be the problem. "//$Category" and other definitions to editor must be inside "Default" brackets in ZScript.
Spoiler:
Baysha

Post by Baysha »

Kappes Buur wrote:
Baysha wrote: Ok. This is the wad I was using. ...
Downloading does not work so good
Spoiler:
Well that's certainly embarrassing for me. It should work now.
boris

Post by boris »

The latest version now contains the visual sloping functionality. Here's a reminder how it works:

In visual mode you can toggle visual slope picking (was default hotkey: Shift-W, now not bound anymore. Go to Tools -> Preferences -> Controls -> search for "Toggle Visual Slope Picking" and bind it to something), then move the cursor close to the edge of a floor/ceiling. You'll see the line being highlighted. This is the slope handle. Pressing the LMB will select the slope handle. Pressing RMB will set the slope handle as the pivot handle (where you'll rotate around). If you don't set a pivot handle it will try to automatically find a handle to use as the pivot handle (this will work fine in many cases). The smart pivot handle is shown in blue for the currently highlighted slope handle.
After selecting a slope handle you can use all height modification actions on it, like scrolling the mouse wheel. If you have multiple surfaces selected when modifying a slope handle, the new slope will be applied to all selected surfaces. If you have nothing selected the slope will be applied to the surface the slope handles belongs to. You can also slope the selected floors/ceilings between two selected slope handles (default hotkey: Ctrl-F).
Last edited by boris on Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh yes - time to continue mapping this evening!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just had a mess around with the visual sloping feature. Nice. I can see it being very useful. :yup:
boris

Post by boris »

Revision R3423 added the visual sloping functionality. The default hotkey for toggling visual slopes was shift+W, which clashes with moving fast (by holding shift) in visual mode if your changed the movement keys to WASD. So if you changed the movement keys to WASD and accidentally activated visual slopes please go to Tools -> Preferences -> Controls -> search for "Toggle Visual Slope Picking" and bind it to something else. The default has been removed in R3428, but this change is no retroactive.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Baysha wrote:Ok. This is the wad I was using. ...
I don't have much time these days, so I just had a cursory glance at your pwad.

If I counted correctly, you are using 16 DECORATE and 6 ZSCRIPT actors. With that many actors it is not surprising that some errors creep in when using the wad structure. You would be better served using the pk3 folder structure, where everything is neatly placed into their specific folder, or subfolder when used.

Good examples are how Enjay structured his Gene-Tech pwad or the file structure of PB github.
riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Well, I downloaded this fork just to check if the translucent walls are shown in 3D mode for Boom mapping (action 260). Alas, here they are still shown as regular textures, which is an inconvenience and I can not see what is behind them :(
https://i.imgur.com/AH26Izf.jpg

Although in UDMF mapping translucent walls can be seen normally.
printz

Post by printz »

Is there going to be a mode where you see all linked portal layers translated to their in-game positions? This would be tremendously useful for GZDoom and Eternity map editing! Right now I feel discouraged from making Eternity maps because none of the known editors shows me how the portal layers will overlap; I get to think blindly with portals, and that can get tedious fast. If I see ahead of time how the layer I'm currently editing fits with the upstairs and downstairs layers, I'll be able to make good decisions much sooner, without scrolling all over the map. It would speed up Mordeth 2 too :D
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

Suggestion: Change the Test submenu into options only (and "run" at the top), so you can set difficulty/port/nomonsters (and anything else) prior to launching. Clicking the icon would run with current settings as usual. This would make "test map from current position" more useful, as currently to change any of these test settings you have to actually run the game once. It's pretty silly.

As a bonus, you could be rid of the cacodemon icons. (They're not FOSS-friendly if that matters, nor very consistent with the other icons. A simple monster head symbol would be fine.)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

NeuralStunner wrote:As a bonus, you could be rid of the cacodemon icons. (They're not FOSS-friendly if that matters, nor very consistent with the other icons. A simple monster head symbol would be fine.)
I tend to do most of my testing (certainly during the actual mapping stages) with -nomonsters. So a simple "running man" would do just as well too.
Jaska

Post by Jaska »

I get this error when copying texture name to another field like from upper texture to middle texture when using long texture names and folders in PK3.

Copy "textures/mid/FRSGLASS.png"
Paste -> "textures" only appears and it crashes. Not always but sometimes. Seems like there is some problem when copying as "/" appears.

Spoiler:

BTW. Visual sloping is just GREAT!

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”