Backwoods 5 level Campaign Mod HALLOWEEN DEMO OUT NOW

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ShortedOutFuse

Backwoods 5 level Campaign Mod HALLOWEEN DEMO OUT NOW

Post by ShortedOutFuse »

HALLOWEEN 2020 DEMO RELEASED

Any feedback is appreciated!

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/n58hq6fl ... 2.zip/file

Story: Local hillbilly, Eddie, had his worst nightmare realized when the Schism Corporation built a research base in the cave system beneath his house. Things then went from bad to worse when that base was overrun with strange hellish creatures that began slaughtering the staff and generally making a mess of the place. Now with the screams of the damned keeping him up all night he'll have to go down there and find the source of this invasion and stop it if he ever wants a good night's sleep again.

Features:
- A five level campaign plus one secret level
- All new monsters all with new, original sprites and animations
- A brand new arsenal of weapons including the "Weird-Ass-Demon-Gun" which eats your enemies and then spits them at other enemies, the "Deep Fryer" which lets you deep fry your enemies and eat them for health and the "Compensator" which compensates for your embarrassing skill level by killing everything in the room
- A cartoony style
- A story told mainly through notes and environmental details (Notes are purely for story and never give you hints on progression or secrets so if you don't care about the story and just want to shoot some monsters you're free to ignore them.)
-2 new power-up items: the Can-of-Whoop-ass and the Thunderkiss, the former allowing you to kick enemies into walls or groups of their friends (Splattering them on impact) and the latter electrocuting any enemy who uses a melee attack on you.
- Juggle your enemies by kicking them into the air and continually shooting them, than slam them into the ground when you're done.

Enemies
Spoiler:
Gameplay Videos:
Spoiler:
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Credits:
-Full credits are in the Readme file
-Darsycho- voice of various monsters and other sound effects
-Captain J- Additional testing and support

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This mod was made to be used with GZDOOM. No other source ports have been tested with this mod. No other gameplay mods have been tested with this mod either. This mod is made to be played with DOOM 2.

For updates and information check out my Twitter: https://twitter.com/shorted_fuse?lang=en
Last edited by ShortedOutFuse on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Re: Backwoods 5 level Campaign Mod

Post by Vostyok »

Okay, this looks rad.

Kinda like Redneck Rampage told through an underground comic book.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one. This looks cool.

Also... 16 holes... Hmm.

1...2....3,4,5...... You know what, nevermind...
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Would you please use this to rewrite the entire combat system of Action Doom 2, please. This looks great.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

The visual style between the enemies/weapon and level design textures seems to clash quite a bit, but it looks pretty interesting regardless.
Valken

Post by Valken »

Looking forward to this!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ah, so it's here! Welcome to ZDoom forum and thanks for informing this neat TC!
ShortedOutFuse

Re: Backwoods 5 level Campaign Mod HALLOWEEN DEMO OUT NOW

Post by ShortedOutFuse »

Brand new Halloween Demo Available now! Play through the horror themed level "Campy as Hell". Any feedback is appreciated!
http://www.mediafire.com/file/l0ybywy7c ... p.zip/file
Last edited by ShortedOutFuse on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spoone

Post by spoone »

So far I like this. I like the references to other games. I think I noticed one from Illbleed (Michael Reynolds museum if i'm correct). I'm assuming the tone is a mix of horror and comedy at least just for the demo? Not that it's a problem, but for whatever reason I think I was expecting something similar to Redneck Rampage. I really do like this though. Am excited to see the full version.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

It sure is campy and comfy. Let me try the demo and give ya some feedback!
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

It's as if Blood had been made by mid nineties Lucasarts.
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

I'm really enjoying this so far except for the end boss who seems to have too much health or I'm using the wrong weapon.

After entering the first building on the right and the boss shows up and spawns some monsters, then he does the jumpscare where he drops the fake body. The first time I played the demo this jumpscare didn't happen.

In the room with the red key ambush, next to the boxes with the four Splatterhouse masks, there is a guy hiding back there that you cannot interact with.

Messages display really quickly yet you don't want them on the screen forever right, a nice trade off is having the same text dumped to the console window. Ditto with the out of bounds text at the start (behind the school bus) because it was red I could barely make out what was being said.

It would be cool if the player could zoom their view or focus on an object, for example the girl in the canoe.

Thought of something else, was disappointed when I found the axe in the tree stump but could not use it. An axe could definitely replace a 2x4.
Last edited by Kills_Alone on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

So i played the demo.
Spoiler: look ma i'm helpful
Absolutely promising. Can't wait for more update! Also i would like to help you with the sound design and stuff. I might cook up something for you later!
ShortedOutFuse

Post by ShortedOutFuse »

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback!

Yeah, weapons like the Super shotgun and LMG have secondary fires in the works but they weren't quite ready for prime time just yet so I left them out of this demo.

I wasn't aware of the dashing glitch but I'm working on a fix. I'm also adjusting the boss's health, he might be a bit too beefy as it is now.

The TNT flashing blue is a leftover from a previous mechanic where blue items were things that could be kicked, I made the TNT flash blue to show that you could kick it. Since I'm not making all blue things kickable anymore I should probably make the TNT not flash blue anymore.

The axe in the tree stump with the candy bar next to it was just a dumb reference to Friday the 13th but I totally should make it a usable weapon!

Everything else so far should be a pretty simple fix. I'm really stumped what happened for you with the bathroom doors though, they seem to work fine fine on my end but I'll continue to look into it.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Glad we could help but... Bathroom door unlocked On your end? That's very strange. Maybe i was sequence breaking? Tho i'm sure i was heading the right way... Also used the toilets as well

Anyhoo, i really like how this is going. Good luck!
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Aaaawwwwweeesome..it's out ...thanks so much for making this ...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”