The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0 released

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0 released

Post by Tormentor667 »

While making a small break from working on Blade of Agony, I took the opportunity to revive a little project of the long-gone past from me, the City of the Damned. The first release was around 2004 and it was one of my first completed maps next to the Torment & Torture series. Back then I had a lot of ideas that I wanted to realise but either the engine wasn't capable of that or I wasn't. In the past 2 days I took the time to improve various things, add some new features (truecolor lights, glows, new palette, polyobjects, scene effects, camera textures, dynamic lights, and many more cosmetic additions) and also make the whole mod widescreen compatible. Gameplay hasn't changed much so if you didn't like it back then, you will most propably hate it today. No surprises, no new content, just cleaned and heavily improved material.

Screenshots

Changes
  • Added dynamic lights to improve the atmosphere
  • Replaced some vertical doors with polyobject doors
  • Improved gameplay, added skill settings
  • Added a custom status bar
  • Added new graphics (widescreen compatible)
  • Added new sound effects
  • Added brightmaps
  • Added a new palette
  • Improved various textures
  • Retextured areas, replaced many original Doom textures
  • New ending sequence
  • Two new monsters for boss battles
  • Fixed countless misalignments and bugs from the original release
Download
Original release from 2004 (v1.3): https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/d ... the-damned
Remaster release from 2020 (v2.0): https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/p ... the-damned
Last edited by Tormentor667 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The City of the Damned | v2.0, RC1

Post by Ozymandias81 »

This gonna be cool and probably I may have fun with brighmaps :cool:
Nash

Re: The City of the Damned | Remaster | v2.0, RC1

Post by Nash »

I'd really love to see a remaster of TCotD: Apocalypse. :D That was my favorite.

That said, this is a cool update, I haven't played this in a long time. Looking forward to playing it soon!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

There are already plans regarding a remaster for TCotD2 to be honest - and more. I am currently working on remasters or actually overhauls of all my major releases that can be found at the Realm667: Bugfixes, improvements, next-gen additions, widescreen support, improved gameplay and much more.

The GitHub link leads to the „re-releases“ repo (the same where Wolfendoom is placed) and open for commits, so if anyone is interested in contributing - that means you too :) - feel free to! I am open to suggestions and improvements that I didn’t think of myself.
Barry Burton

Post by Barry Burton »

Are you planning another update to UTnT? The last time I tried to play it, it wouldn't load in GZDoom (I think it was version 4.3.1 at the time).

Anyway, looking forward to giving this a blast. I haven't played this for a REALLY long time!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Barry Burton wrote:Are you planning another update to UTnT? The last time I tried to play it, it wouldn't load in GZDoom (I think it was version 4.3.1 at the time).
Yes that will most propably happen as well, but currently I am concentrating on the "lighter" mapsets that are finished in a shorter time and need less effort. Main priority is still on Blade of Agony.
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by 3336655445 »

looks very good
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Nash wrote:I'd really love to see a remaster of TCotD: Apocalypse. :D That was my favorite.
Mine, too, but what's there to remaster? TBH, the only issue I have with it is the boss fight, because I never managed to finish it without god mode - and the off-center, egg-shaped moon in the skybox, which is more a nitpick than an issue.
Solid-Head

Post by Solid-Head »

Wow thank you for this! Never expect an update from one of my favorite wad. Always love the atmosphere of this particular map. Try it a little and I like the new effects.

There is one bug in the yellow archville room where there is a double door that keep open and close all the time.
Tormentor667 wrote: I am currently working on remasters or actually overhauls of all my major releases that can be found at the Realm667
Stronghold remaster when ? :mrgreen:
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

Graf Zahl wrote:but what's there to remaster?
I'd say some of the code could get more work put into it. I remember some decorations bleeding from getting shot, because of the new sprites clashing with Nash Gore code, and the sawed off storing 3-5 shots.
r&r

Post by r&r »

Graf Zahl wrote:
Nash wrote:I'd really love to see a remaster of TCotD: Apocalypse. :D That was my favorite.
Mine, too, but what's there to remaster? TBH, the only issue I have with it is the boss fight, because I never managed to finish it without god mode - and the off-center, egg-shaped moon in the skybox, which is more a nitpick than an issue.
I would say if the 2nd one does get a remaster
make it weapon mod friendly
as I would like to use the Ultra-Crispy weapon mod for that map
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Graf Zahl wrote:Mine, too, but what's there to remaster? TBH, the only issue I have with it is the boss fight, because I never managed to finish it without god mode - and the off-center, egg-shaped moon in the skybox, which is more a nitpick than an issue.
For most of the maps I have planned just that: Nitpicks, fixes, little improvements on things that I would do differently today. In TCotD2 I want to add polyobject doors on various places, improve the egg-moon (how do I do that anyway?), make it widescreen compatible and do some final touches to make it more all of a piece.

For other projects like TCotD1 now, the revamp was a bit more intensive in terms of looks and for Stronghold, it will be more complex because of the nature of this mod. So, if anyone is interested in helping me out, feel free to commit to the repo. :)
Solid-Head wrote:There is one bug in the yellow archville room where there is a double door that keep open and close all the time.
Thank you, just fixed that :)
Gothic wrote:I'd say some of the code could get more work put into it. I remember some decorations bleeding from getting shot, because of the new sprites clashing with Nash Gore code, and the sawed off storing 3-5 shots.
Can you be more specific about it, so I can fix it? (or even prepare a solution?)
r&r wrote:I would say if the 2nd one does get a remaster make it weapon mod friendly as I would like to use the Ultra-Crispy weapon mod for that map
The problem here is that I really need input from other people then. I am not using weapon mods myself and tbh, I have no idea what things need to be set to make them work with TCotD2.
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

Tormentor667 wrote:Can you be more specific about it, so I can fix it? (or even prepare a solution?)
The Nashgore_BloodyTwitch and Nashgore_NonsolidTwitch, which are chandeliers in game, bleed when they get shot.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Gothic wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:Can you be more specific about it, so I can fix it? (or even prepare a solution?)
The Nashgore_BloodyTwitch and Nashgore_NonsolidTwitch, which are chandeliers in game, bleed when they get shot.
Thanks kindly, I just uncommented these in the appropriate decorate file!
Nash

Post by Nash »

Shouldn't the chandeliers be new actors? This reeks of a time where decorations had to be replaced from a small pool of existing ones from the base game. If you ask me, this is exactly the scope of work a remaster should warrant. :mrgreen:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”