LZDoom 3.88b 02/26 released

Game Engines like EDGE, LZDoom, QZDoom, ECWolf, and others, go in this forum
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kamil
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: LZDoom 3.85 02/29 released

Post by Kamil »

What do you mean?
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

I am using the autoexec.cfg file
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

sv_cheats 1
vid_refreshrate
vid_fps 1
vid_vsync 0
vid_maxfps 0

I use these commands
Kamil

Post by Kamil »

Oh my God. I added the vid_preferbackend 0 command and the performance problem was solved in LZDoom + now there is no FPS stuttering in Doom 2 in GZDoom. Thank you very much DrFrag :)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That's becouse the default backend is software (same as before but now softpoly). Also the software sector light modes are much faster there.
I've bumped the minimum save version to prevent loading old saves but now you can load GZDoom saves too.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I forgot to mention that the cvar for weapon bobbing while firing is wbobfire but it's in the menu, it works (in Hexen too).
The damage fix for bouncing missiles is working too.
And with the double spawn skill property i meant the return of the unholy massacre skill setting to the menu, for Heretic (1K deaths await thee) it's a bit different for a more dynamic gameplay. All skills can be tweaked with the DM flag (sv_doublespawn cvar). They work only for Doom and Heretic.
Remember that old LZDoom saves are not compatible (GZDoom ones will be), this is not a regular devbuild.
Matt087

Post by Matt087 »

Great job on making LZ doom the absolute hands down BEST !! source port for Doom, Hexen, heretic, strife etc . Not only is LZ Doom catching up with GZ doom in visual enhancements , but it runs So much faster FPS wise , GZ Doom and most other doom source ports seemed to run real slow, until i discovered LZ Doom and realized just how optimized this port really is , very fast even when maxed out settings wise in 4K resolution . MY main rig is an I7 4930k @ 4.5GHZ with 32 gb of corsair vengence pro Ddr3 2400mhz quad channel memory on a sabertooth X79 motherboard ,GTX 1080s in SLI . yet even the old Zdoom ran slow in comparison to LZ Doom. No doubt LZ Doom is the BEST all around source port for Classic ID games.
In closing i know nothing about coding doom source code , been busy enhancing old games and making everything i can compatible with windows 7 Ultimate 64. If anyone is needing help with customizing grp files for games like redneck rampage,duke nukem etc i have some experience in that field and can be of help in that department.
Teddipetzi

Post by Teddipetzi »

Matt087 wrote:Great job on making LZ doom the absolute hands down BEST !! source port for Doom, Hexen, heretic, strife etc . Not only is LZ Doom catching up with GZ doom in visual enhancements , but it runs So much faster FPS wise
Huh?
You are aware that this is merely an almost 2 year old version of GZDoom with partial feature upgrades and a few modifications to improve performance on low end systems, right? It's probably just these low end tweaks that make it look faster - using GZDoom's default settings it cannot keep up because it is missing GZDoom's most important optimization of recent times - the multithreaded map data processing in the GL renderer. It also has by default a distance culling feature turned on that may give the appearance of better performance at the cost of incompletely rendered levels. This is perfectly fine for the intended target hardware but surely not for a modern system.

All that said - for me it runs just like the GZDoom version it is built on, which on maps where it matters is 15-20% below modern GZDoom.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Matt wrote:drfrag can you see if the fill() function for ZScript status bars works for alpha values below 255? We seem to have run into an issue.
Well, clearly it doesn't work in software. It's very old code, before the renderer unification (2D refactor). It's roughly the same in DBaseStatusBar::Fill but then it calls SWCanvas::Dim. I don't know exactly why it doesn't work but that old code got ditched long ago. But if it's an issue the guy can use a vintage devbuild (i upload devbuilds from time to time to https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-vintage/).
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Matt087 wrote:Great job on making LZ doom the absolute hands down BEST !! source port for Doom, Hexen, heretic, strife etc . Not only is LZ Doom catching up with GZ doom in visual enhancements , but it runs So much faster FPS wise , GZ Doom and most other doom source ports seemed to run real slow, until i discovered LZ Doom and realized just how optimized this port really is , very fast even when maxed out settings wise in 4K resolution .
Firstly, welcome to the ZDoom forums! Ill be addressing your post in a list down below.
  • LZDoom is not attempting to catch up with GZDoom in visual enhancements. What LZDoom's primary intention is, is to provide most of the GZDoom feature set whilst being able to run on lower end hardware.
  • You state: ''GZ Doom and most other doom source ports seemed to run real slow''. Judging by your rig, GZDoom should fly. Which GZDoom version were you using? Also, which other doom source ports did you run that seemed to run slow?
Matt087 wrote: MY main rig is an I7 4930k @ 4.5GHZ with 32 gb of corsair vengence pro Ddr3 2400mhz quad channel memory on a sabertooth X79 motherboard ,GTX 1080s in SLI . yet even the old Zdoom ran slow in comparison to LZ Doom.
  • GZDoom does not (afaik) support SLI, but even a single GTX1080 is more than enough to run the latest works.
  • ZDoom does not use the GPU, so if it runs slow, this is likely because you were running it in 4K. On heavy mapsets, and on that resolution, you are CPU bottlenecked. This is due to the way the Doom renderer works.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Redneckerz wrote: [*]GZDoom does not (afaik) support SLI, but even a single GTX1080 is more than enough to run the latest works.]
A 1080 won't give you much. If you disable postprocessing and shadowmaps even a lowly Geforce 550Ti will be enough to run demanding maps - for SSAO and shadowmaps you'll need something better - but a Geforce 1060 is more than enough normally.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Teddipetzi wrote:It also has by default a distance culling feature turned on that may give the appearance of better performance at the cost of incompletely rendered levels. This is perfectly fine for the intended target hardware but surely not for a modern system.
All that said - for me it runs just like the GZDoom version it is built on, which on maps where it matters is 15-20% below modern GZDoom.
Render culling is also used in modern games and default distances are high enough that usually you won't notice, it can bring massive performance improvements on some maps on others it doesn't matter. But it's incompatible with multithreading (not that there is multithreading in LZDoom now). Besides that there are other under the hood more important optimizations in modern GZDoom, multithreading alone can't beat render cull.
Which maps? Have you tried Planisphere 2?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Just checked the culling and Frozen Time looks rather empty with the default settings.
On my system it runs at 50 fps with LZDoom and culling off, 60 fps with GZDoom and 85 fps with LZDoom and culling on. The 10 fps between LZDoom and GZDoom is the effect of multithreading - it is quite high on this map.
I also doubt it's incompatible with GZDoom's multithreading because that only passes the data to the second thread after all visibility clipping has been done.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Yes on that map it doesn't work that well. Here i get 10 fps with it disabled and 20 with default settings (in front of the 3D bridge). On GZDoom i get the same so gl_multithreaded doesn't help here (it's an ultra low end laptop with AMD R2 graphics so not that surprising). But on Planisphere 2 i get 7 fps without it (same in GZDoom) and 37 fps in this hot spot.
Screenshot_Doom_20200420_164045.jpg
Edit: in my master branch line render culling crashed with multithreading enabled.
My AMD card is the bottleneck here i get 18 fps with Vulkan in FT and 14 fps in P2. But still MT makes no difference.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

This distance culling indeed helps to increase performance both on new computers and old. But for modern hardware big maps GZDoom plays better peformance if I'd compare old and new engine without any culling. Clipping on big maps with lots of 3D floors and overall linedefs seems to be the cause here, in such conditions "stat rendertimes" feature reports clip time around 5.00 whereas in vanilla doom maps it's about 0.04-0.20. Do you have any thoughts on why this happens?

Return to “Game Engines”