[3.4!] FINAL DOOMER +

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
VicBorAng

Re: [3.3!] FINAL DOOMER +

Post by VicBorAng »

I've been slowly playing trough each the classes on their respective WADS. (ie Played Ancient Aliens with the Ancient Aliens weaponset, JCP with the JCP weapon set, etc.)
And have just now begun playing trough Back to Saturn X.

I've skipped TNT and Plutonia, maybe i will finish them later.

Anyway, i really do like how i slowly start to form my own specific play-style as i slowly learn the ins and outs of the weapons.

Like how i gravitated more towards the Stasis arrow, AA Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun and Super Shotgun. And didn't use the others one as much. Mostly due to preference. Like, i started to notice that the normal Shotgun had it's uses later on, but by then i was already set on my ways

While during my play-trought of JCP i varied a lot more. But tended to use the Rocket Launcher less often then i did on Ancient Aliens, since there i was basically maining the RL.
And i eventually bound the Z and X keys to the Sword and Pistol, because the silenced pistol always ended up being useful and the Sword was amazing.
A good "Burst fire with the chaingun + single RL shot + Some shots with the Ofuda gun" combo tended to finish most strong enemies quickly.

Now onto BTSX, and even on the first level i'm starting to notice a gamplay style forming. What with the huge prevalence
Pistol can dish out damage, Shotgun for tricky shots. Etc.

I'm loving this and can't wait to get to the rest.
Great work on the mod.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Tesculpture wrote:I've noticed DoomGuy's pistol is always perfectly accurate, even with sustained fire. Is this intentional?
It's not intentional, thanks for the heads up.
DoubleCakes

Post by DoubleCakes »

I've been trying to play Vendettaguy and the plasma rifle's auto-aim is reversed vertically (if an enemy is below you, the gun will fire upward). There's also an issue with the beam not hitting flying enemies (or at least, not hitting cacodemons). The gun will aim at the cacodemon correctly and the projectile will hit the enemy, but no damage occurs. The enemy doesn't even flinch.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

I think Final Doomer is one of the greatest weapon mods because it has so many classes and their weapons are quite distinct, despite most of them don't use alt fire or reloading.
That said, some chaingun replacement weapons felt too similar, because they are fast-firing hitscan guns. but yeah it's a small issue.
oppo1021
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by oppo1021 »

Can I release my DeHackEd mod based on the plutonia and tnt weapon sets?
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

oppo1021 wrote:Can I release my DeHackEd mod based on the plutonia and tnt weapon sets?
Sure thing!
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

DoubleCakes wrote:I've been trying to play Vendettaguy and the plasma rifle's auto-aim is reversed vertically (if an enemy is below you, the gun will fire upward).
What GZDoom version are you using?
namsan wrote:I think Final Doomer is one of the greatest weapon mods because it has so many classes and their weapons are quite distinct, despite most of them don't use alt fire or reloading.
Thanks!
oppo1021 wrote:Can I release my DeHackEd mod based on the plutonia and tnt weapon sets?
You already did.

It looks like you only asked because someone asked whether you'd even talked to us about it.

Your mod is neat, but I'm genuinely angry that you did this.
oppo1021
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by oppo1021 »

I'm Sorry Yholl I forgot to ask.

I took it down.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

oppo1021 wrote:I'm Sorry Yholl I forgot to ask.

I took it down.
No, don't take it down. It's very cool, and dehacked work is always great to see.
I'm completely fine with you doing this, and I want you to continue having fun making it.

The entire problem was you asking to release it when you already had, which is infuriating. It would've been better to ask something like "Hey, I've been working on a dehacked version of FD on Doomworld, would it be alright if I continued?". I would've been absolutely happy with that.

It's all about context. I appreciate your apology though, thank you.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Spoiler: If I could have your attention for just one second...
Last edited by Slax on Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

huh. noice to see ya uploading some funky drawing of yours, slax!
Khodoque

Post by Khodoque »

This is one of my favorite gameplay mods, it provides lots of content while showing some restraint, so I think I ought to give some feedback, as I played through BTSX, Ancient Aliens and Eviternity with it.

JPCP set - hands down my favorite. I have some bias towards it - I was really disappointed with Shadow Warrior reboot back in the day, because it had a sword that was so OP it pretty much obsoleted all the guns, while not being that fun to use. Here, sword is also insanely powerful, but it is the other guns that make it so powerful, and even though it only has one game mechanic, said mechanic is done well and is fun to use. And I love how you can shoot prismatic launcher point-blank at enemy ambush and then go Zatoichi on them - was that intentional reference?

Plutonia set - very close to vanilla, but also different. Shotguns are tweaked in the way to make them work even better in roles I usually use them. MG is a bit meh, but HMG makes up for it. Grenade launcher is fun to use.

TNT set - this one feels like DoomRLA Lite to me, because when I play DoomRLA, I always end up up to my neck in combat pistols, tactical shotguns and Uzi's, and mini-missile launcher is one of the first assemblies I usually make (though I have to note that similarity is strictly superficial, all the guns work differently in this mod). I haven't used regular shotgun too much, I feel like SSG replacement encroaches on its territory too much. Laser is awesome. Spent shells from SMGs kinda look like dandruff (just saying). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use Haldermann device to its full potential, I usually only used hazmat mode.

Ancient Aliens - beatiful set for beautiful WAD, all the guns are fun to use, except maybe SSG replacement (SSG replacements are hit and miss in this mod in general). Plasma rifle replacement is a goddamn horde eraser, really comes in handy in the massive battles in AA. I don't really like chainsaw in vanilla, so I liked that it was replaced by useful utility weapon.

BTSX set - I didn't cared much about it at first, but I finished BTSX ep.1 and second episode of Eviternity with it, and it grew on me. Really different from vanilla, lots of cool mechanics. I've seen people having issue with Machbuster, but I usually use SSG as melee weapon anyway, so I liked it a lot.

Alien Vendetta set - I played Eviternity hell episode with it, and I felt like it is somewhat underpowered, as I kept getting overrun by imp hordes. It seems to me that RL and plasma rifle had its roles swapped around, but RL is not as good at sweeping rooms now, and you can't use it point-blank, so it limits its usefulness.

Whitemare set - unfortunately, this set is a case of "style over substance". It fits its respective MegaWAD theme, but gameplay-wise it is incredibly unfitting. One real standout feature of both Whitemares is annoying extreme long range encounters - slow projectile shotguns and limited-range plasma rifle replacement are the last things you would want in this situation (though shooting SSG replacement at long ranges is surprisingly fun). Whitemare aside, it is still a stellar weapon set, but it is better suited for cramped architecture and claustrophobic encounters of UAC Ultra. I also had a blast playing through winter episode of Eviternity with it. Flamethrower is awesome.

Hellbound set - for some weird reason I disliked this set at first, but it also quickly grew on me. Powerful, fun to use, fits its WAD. AP rifle is pretty great idea, but regular shotgun seems to be better than SSG.
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Panzermann11 »

Hey there, so I ran to a bug when I was testing the weapons. When I shoot the ceiling with Hellbound's Aeroslayer minigun, the bullet tracers seem to just stick up to the ceiling and keeps making ricochet noises. Could you guys look into this? Thanks.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

Slax wrote:agh
ehehehehe
aagh is always welcome, thank you
Finder153 wrote:Hey there, so I ran to a bug when I was testing the weapons. When I shoot the ceiling with Hellbound's Aeroslayer minigun, the bullet tracers seem to just stick up to the ceiling and keeps making ricochet noises. Could you guys look into this? Thanks.
Yeah, it's caused by using vanilla bulletpuffs. I don't know when the next update is, so just switch to something else.
Sgt. Ham
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Sgt. Ham »

Slax wrote:
Spoiler: If I could have your attention for just one second...
You found the RenegadeSphere, didn’t you?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”