SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.2.5 (19/Dec/2023)

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.11 (04/Mar/2020)

Post by Gez »

With a size of 256, that means your images are 16x16. That's too small for a Doom flat, so they're identified as something else. Proper flats should be 64x64 (4096 bytes).
sirjuddington

Re: SLADE Discussion - Latest: v3.1.12 (26/May/2020)

Post by sirjuddington »

3.1.12 is up, with a bunch of fixes and minor improvements.
Hexereticdoom
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hexereticdoom »

I have updated two days ago to version 3.1.12, and I've been working with it without any major problems... until today.

When I have opened it up some minutes ago to continue editing my mods, Windows Security Defender has jumped up of a sudden telling me that a trojan horse has been detected in the Slade executable file, and then it has removed the shortcut and moved the exe file to quarantine byself. WTF?! What's going on here? >:(

Here is the report message in Windows Security program:

Code: Select all

Trojan:Win32/Fuery.C!cl

Nivel de alerta: Grave
Estado: En cuarentena
Fecha: 01/06/2020 18:43
Categoría: Caballo de Troya
Detalles: Este programa es peligroso y ejecuta comandos de un atacante.

Elementos afectados:

startup: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SLADE\SLADE.lnk

file: C:\Program Files (x86)\SLADE\SLADE.exe

file: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SLADE\SLADE.lnk
Is somebody else affected by this problem? May be a false positive or what? Please let me know, I need to continue working with Slade tool... :?:
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I got the same thing as you just a few hours ago. Even though I've been using that version of SLADE for a few days now.
Hexereticdoom

Post by Hexereticdoom »

Phew, good to know it has been not just me! Anyway, I hope SirJuddington can fix this as soon as possible...

At the moment I have reverted to previous version (3.1.11) and seems it is totally clean.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

There's a very good chance this is just a "false positive" from defender. i.e. 3.1.12 is probably totally clean too.
JPL

Post by JPL »

I run into this regularly with software I distribute (Playscii). Basically every time I post a new build with a slightly different signature (hash of the program's contents, however they define it) it trips a new false positive.

I submit my software to this page https://www.microsoft.com/security/port ... ubmit.aspx and it's usually confirmed as a false positive within 1-2 days, and the next round of Windows Defender definitions that goes out stops flagging it. It's a pain, but it's been a consistent process so far.

One thing that might be tripping it in SLADE's case is having an embedded Lua interpreter - Defender seems twitchy about any program that can execute arbitrary user-provided scripts (my software can exec() Python scripts), as apparently various kinds of malware do that.
Gothic

Post by Gothic »

Hopefully the syntax highlighter will recognize all Decorate functions for the stable 3.2.0, as there are functions and flags that are not recognized yet by the text editor.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Well, this seems to now happen every time I load up a sprite or texture (or any sort of graphic):
SladeError.PNG
This happened both before and after I updated to the latest version of SLADE, and I recently updated my Intel drivers.
Gez

Post by Gez »

If it happened also before you updated SLADE, that means that it suddenly started happening in a version that worked for you before, so it's not a regression.

Perhaps it was that driver update? What if you rollback?

Also you can try the 3.2 beta.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Beta 1 trip report:
  • Very annoying flicker in the Gfx panel when moving from one image to the next.
  • In Gfx mode, the eraser brush does not work anymore. I haven't tested the other tools.
  • Create a new map (it was UDMF in my case, if that's relevant). Create one sector (I used shift space to plop down a square), then create another sector inside it (same thing), then delete the inner sector. The lines are flipped to face the remaining sector (that's good) but they keep their defunct back side (that's bad). Explicitly setting back side to -1 or back sector to -1 did not take -- the change was not applied.
  • Because of the above, I went to save the map, close the map editor, and edit the raw UDMF (good thing there weren't that many elements yet). The faulty lines had apparently about all the UDMF properties set, even those that were not relevant and equal to the default values.
  • Going back to map editor mode, after inserting a new sector in the emptied column and attempting to edit the sector properties for this new addition, SLADE crashed.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Gez wrote:Beta 1 trip report:
  • Very annoying flicker in the Gfx panel when moving from one image to the next.
  • In Gfx mode, the eraser brush does not work anymore. I haven't tested the other tools.
  • Create a new map (it was UDMF in my case, if that's relevant). Create one sector (I used shift space to plop down a square), then create another sector inside it (same thing), then delete the inner sector. The lines are flipped to face the remaining sector (that's good) but they keep their defunct back side (that's bad). Explicitly setting back side to -1 or back sector to -1 did not take -- the change was not applied.
  • Because of the above, I went to save the map, close the map editor, and edit the raw UDMF (good thing there weren't that many elements yet). The faulty lines had apparently about all the UDMF properties set, even those that were not relevant and equal to the default values.
  • Going back to map editor mode, after inserting a new sector in the emptied column and attempting to edit the sector properties for this new addition, SLADE crashed.
  • I'm not getting flicker here, except for the entry name at the top of the group box, is that what you mean?
  • I need to look at the gfx editing stuff, apparently it hasn't been working for a while, I've also noticed the cursor will flicker and sometimes get stuck as the wrong icon
  • Ugh, I've fixed it for now, but this is one of the things I want to look at reworking. The map structure/editing code is a mess including many functions that don't work the way you would expect
Gez

Post by Gez »

sirjuddington wrote:I'm not getting flicker here, except for the entry name at the top of the group box, is that what you mean?
No, i mean the canvas area. It gets blanked when switching between two different images.

Other types of entry panels also have the same issue, but it's especially annoying for graphics because moving between entries can be used to preview how an animation would look, or to find minute differences between two near-identical pictures, and getting a flash of gray in between ruins that.
sirjuddington

Post by sirjuddington »

Hmm, might be something windows 7 is doing differently (I'm on 10). I wonder if it's due to the group box name change anyway, I know I originally wanted to do it in 3.0 but there was some reason I didn't, might have been this flicker.

Either way I'm considering just removing the group boxes on the archive panel (it's like that on the entry tree branch), they only really take up space for not much benefit except looking 'nice'.
tmachovec

Post by tmachovec »

With this newest Beta version, is there an option to clear the clipboad each time you copy paste and entry? Im copyng a single entry then when I paste it into my new archive file its pasting everything I have previously copied along with the new entry. i looked through all the preference menus but didnt see/missed one about clipboard contents.

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”