Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
OmarSlim

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.3.3c

Post by OmarSlim »

Hi Matt,

Just registered to give you big time kudos on the mod. I've been playing HD non-stop for a week now, and I'm loving it! You've done a hell of a job with the gameplay - I haven't played many games that are as tense and rewarding as this one.

So yeah... thanks a million for all the work you've done.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Thanks!
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Booting this up after awhile is quite refreshing! really still love this mod quite a bit.
Noticed that my headshots (and therefore shot placement) don't make a huge difference. Guess i hadn't noticed before. Any chance of these ever showing up in HD?
Also, what exactly is the "Elite Soldier Kit"? and is it important to loadout?

P.S hope you're well in this quarantine business.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

One of the hints that appear randomly when you boot up a map really stuck with me.
It said: "A shot to the heart can deal with situations a shot to the head can't" or something like that.
Ever since then, I've been generally aiming at the center of mass of my targets and it's working nicely.

As for the elite soldier kit, it consists of a green armor, medikit, 2 stimpacks, pistol, 3 pistol mags, 3 frag grenades, derp and a ladder.
Personally I've replaced "sol" with "awg, med, pis, 915 2, frg 2, drp, lad" for my loadouts, as I found that the whole kit doesn't really fit well with 1.0 encumbrance multiplier.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Indeed, center-mass shots more reliably cause critical damage and bleed. Central nervous system hits (brain / spine) are modeled by a narrow column down the center of a monster though, so "headshots" are sometimes a viable way of doing that if you're aware of how hitbox meta works in Doom and realize that the "head" of the sprite isn't always necessarily the head area of the hitbox. Overall though it's just better to aim for center mass.

8-)
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Jarewill wrote:One of the hints that appear randomly when you boot up a map really stuck with me.
It said: "A shot to the heart can deal with situations a shot to the head can't" or something like that.
Ever since then, I've been generally aiming at the center of mass of my targets and it's working nicely.

As for the elite soldier kit, it consists of a green armor, medikit, 2 stimpacks, pistol, 3 pistol mags, 3 frag grenades, derp and a ladder.
Personally I've replaced "sol" with "awg, med, pis, 915 2, frg 2, drp, lad" for my loadouts, as I found that the whole kit doesn't really fit well with 1.0 encumbrance multiplier.
1.0?! Holy shit! hardcore parkour my friend~~!
Caligari87 wrote:Indeed, center-mass shots more reliably cause critical damage and bleed. Central nervous system hits (brain / spine) are modeled by a narrow column down the center of a monster though, so "headshots" are sometimes a viable way of doing that if you're aware of how hitbox meta works in Doom and realize that the "head" of the sprite isn't always necessarily the head area of the hitbox. Overall though it's just better to aim for center mass. 8-)
No way! gonna have to check this out now. I do notice better damage at center mass, but never a one shot heatshot.
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Greatly enjoying the update, man! Thanks for the hard work, you've essentially made my quarantine that much more entertaining.

So, stupid question. I'm wanting to boost the damage of the .355 revolver. I don't see much a point to using the revolver since it doesn't do that much more damage than the 9mm pistol, and the larger magazine and faster reload of the pistol makes it more useful to me. If I were to try boosting the revolver's damage any, how would I go about doing that? I don't see any damage values under the revolver's code file, and the .355 projectile code doesn't seem to have anything for damage that I can see, at least.

(An aside, I accidentally discovered what happens when you boost the stamina value on a projectile. Doing so to an obscene degree lets me destroy entire sections of the map, turning the game into Red Faction)
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

The bullets don't have any "damage", it's all calculated from the physical properties of the projectile. In this case, .355 revolver rounds are very close to 9mm in general stats, so they tend to have similar effects.

The interaction is pretty fuzzy, but in my experimenting: Generally the relevant factors for damage on fleshy targets are caliber (stamina), speed, and mass. Damage against shields is heavily (heh heh) dependent on mass (heavier bullets knock down shields faster), and penetration against armor relies on shape (accuracy), hardness, and speed. These are usually converted from real-world values for similar rounds.

from line 334 of bullet.zs:

Code: Select all

speed: 200-1000
mass: in tenths of a gram
pushfactor: 0.05-5.0 - imagine it being horizontal speed blowing in the wind
accuracy: 0,200,200-700 - angle of outline from perpendicular, round deemed to be 200
stamina: 900, 776, 426, you get the idea
hardness: 1-5 - 1=pure lead, 5=steel (NOTE: this setting's bullets are (Teflon-coated) steel by default; will implement lead casts "later")
(to be honest I'm still not sure exactly what pushfactor does. I think it's aerodynamics or something)

First step I'd try would be making the .355 rounds faster, basically a +P or Magnum-type adjustment. The speed value is in units per tic, which can be derived to/from meters per second (42 units = 1 meter) for comparison with real-world things. Or you can just go ham obviously and make it shoot at rifle velocities, but I like to try and keep things realistic.

8-)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.3.3d

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Highlights:
  • Encumbrance 1.0 is now the default, and the hardcore preset / reduced speed mode has some more movement penalties for items and armour.
  • Better (untested) compatibility with LZDoom.
  • IEDs are no longer ~"'smart'"~ and will faithfully detonate when you explicitly tell them to.
  • Fixed the crash when using hd_give for the liteamp.
  • Lots of little behavioural inconsistencies.
  • Missing shaped-charge damage from the Brontornis has been restored.

And yes, I know I've been relatively quiet on the HD front the past month or so.
Spoiler:
DYD
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DYD »

I played through Diabolus Ex with this. Before I could press the exit switch, I had to fight a Baron. With a chainsaw. While we were both on fire. The Dwarf Fortress of Doom indeed.
Matt

Post by Matt »

What are the most common compatibility problems with custom maps? I'm trying to get an idea if there are any recurring problems that repeatedly come up that make the game unplayable (in a bad, immersion-breaking way).

Stuff like custom enemy damage types not affecting armour for example.

Please comment here or on the Github issue, whichever you prefer.

EDIT: Just to be clear, my intention with this is to make HD playable with as many maps as possible without having any user modify those maps.

That said, I have no intention at this point to look into "the player's too slow to reach X" problems right now because those are way too complicated for me to script around so those remain in the "just make an exception and noclip through" pile.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

so i tried playing btsx today and realised that there are too many reviving imps so i decided to use a ladder to get the blue key at the start of the base,but i could not hang the ladder,from below i stand as close as possible and look at the wall but its no use,i can only hang ladders on small heights,even on firing range where there is ladder hanging from 2 crates instead of one i cant do it
Matt

Post by Matt »

No idea, firing range works for me (took off the ladder there and tried to re-hang it, wasn't actually expecting to be able to make that jump but somehow it worked)

EDIT: then tried btsx and can't hang a ladder from literally *anything* wtf
EDIT: the orthogonal ledges and anything from above are fine but attaching natural ones from below is not

EDIT: it's failing the checkmoves on those ledges, but *not* the much higher one on the nearby wall (the "orthogonal ledges" in previous edit) and I have no idea why

EDIT: and the mossy ledges *sometimes* work if I just walk along them and mash the use-item key, never managed to reproduce this while standing still o_O

EDIT: It was working fine in principle, just finicky and hard to see what one is doing... and also the place where it was checking at some angles was still within the player's hitbox, thus never reaching the ledge. That's why my chances were so much better while I was moving.

Fixed and feedback issue addressed.
r&r

Post by r&r »

I kinda wonder if theres a rainbow six siege and republic commando style companions mod?
would be fitting for this mod if there was one.
bendix-hyde

Post by bendix-hyde »

Just started playing again after about a while and after a little bit of rust, managed to get back into the swing of things. Man, being able to repair HERPs and DERPs during a level is pretty refreshing.

One thing I've been having a little bit of trouble with though are the IEDs. I'm going through all of Doom 1 as a way to shake off some dust and I try to set one or four up to clear out some monster closets, but sometimes they either work or they explode a short while later after leaving or after chucking one right in front of a wall that I know hides some baddies. Is it because they are still detecting the monsters behind the wall? They never really seemed to do that on past versions. I'm also not sure if a dead body next to them is also setting them off whenever I toss one at a regular wall, but next to a fully dead enemy corpse.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”