Walpurgis 0.99 (For Doom/Heretic/Hexen) [NEW RELEASE!!!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [0.82- "The Sound of Carnage"]

Post by eharper256 »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Also, very minor thing: When starting the game and selecting a random character, difficulty 1 misspells Korax as "Korvax."

Looking forward to the weapon upgrade features, stay safe during lockdown!
Yarp, I have to be extra-paranoid as I'm a kidney transplant patient on immuno-suppressants; I'm basically only leaving to buy shopping; and that's begrudgingly due to douchbags booking up grocery deliveries for two weeks solid.

Haha; now its pointed out; I kinda like the mispelling. He's so unimportant to the player at that difficulty that they're mispelling his name. :lol:
eharper256

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [0.83- "Dark Foundations"]

Post by eharper256 »

0.83: Dark Foundations
Just another bugfix release for now; though you can use the console to test the first couple of upgrades if you want.

Code: Select all

+New!:	Lots of base code added ready for the weapon upgrade system. Right now,
		you can test the Fist's Primary and the Axe's Secondary, if you use the
		console to "give whetstone". These are the only ones that actually
		provide an upgrade right now, and the system is not yet complete, hence
		you cannot find the upgrade items as drops at the moment. 
+New!:	One new wall-hit sound effect.
+Tweak:	Algor Secondary Ice Spears given +10% damage and +20% explosion radius 
		to more justify their charge time. 
+Fixed:	Accidently gave a Nodelay flag to the fist puff which did nothing, fixed.
+Fixed: The Vorpal Axe's Secondary Fire, if it activated its code for using its
		tight-space version, would charge you twice for its mana cost! Fixed.
+Fixed: Standing next to your Glacial Spike Wall (Algor Tertiary) will no longer
		damage you for small amounts, so you can use them for limited cover as
		well as inhibiting barriers. It will still hit you pretty hard if you
		try to detonate it standing next to it (shattering ice blocks don't have
		friend foe recongnition I'm afraid XD ) of course.
+Fixed: Myrmidon Grappling Hook would dissappear and break the animation when
		it hit low hanging sky sectors (i.e. E3M1 in Doom) as the 'weapon' 
		always expects it to return and this wasn't covered in its usual crash
		logic. It is now fixed.
Get it here: https://mega.nz/#!8IFTiSjR!RK1LbwKFxjaA ... 0oq9m9wIxI
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Oh, and here's my Test-Map, which is a modified version of HexArcana's:
https://mega.nz/#!8B1FAZAC!_1BV9jX-Gdca ... MGvwHpslyk
Figured that some may like to be able to have access to it to easily test the weapons before they start play. And you know, having a place to just freely slaughter Ettins with Quietus for fun. I do just that sometimes. :twisted:
SallazarSpellcaster

Post by SallazarSpellcaster »

Tried the two available weapon upgrades, they're fun!

They work quite well, as they increase functionality without drastically altering the feel of the weapon - the enhanced vorpal slash was especially useful once unlocked.

Do you plan on making the axe's glow purple too, to match the slash?
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Tried the two available weapon upgrades, they're fun!

They work quite well, as they increase functionality without drastically altering the feel of the weapon - the enhanced vorpal slash was especially useful once unlocked.

Do you plan on making the axe's glow purple too, to match the slash?
Yes, though perhaps not in the initial upgrades release (which will probably be 0.85 or 0.86). I may well add Trailblazer type visible sprites effects to each upgrade gradually (i.e. the Axe will look new rather than notched, the Mage will gain extra bracelet parts or tattoos), though that's alot of extra sprite and code work.

-----

In other news: Thought I needed some new footage of the most recent Walpurgis version; so here I am in Wastelands of Hub II in the original Hexen wad:

Juggling Algor, Fulgur, and Vis to best effect here, which you can really start to do in Hub II (whereas all the tight spaces of the Seven Portals pretty much ask you to focus on Algor use, don't they?).
Blackgrowl
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Blackgrowl »

Damn, I really like what you did with the Fists' upgrades. It not only makes them stronger, it makes them STUN enemies!
I also really love that visual effect, which is pretty much an "electric shock thunder" of shorts, that's how I would see the Warrior if he was an Elemental; Thunder; fast, sudden and incredibly dangerous.
eharper256 wrote:
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:I may well add Trailblazer type visible sprites effects to each upgrade gradually (i.e. the Axe will look new rather than notched, the Mage will gain extra bracelet parts or tattoos), though that's alot of extra sprite and code work.
It's still worth it though!
One of the reasons I love Trailblazer so much is the fact that visuals change when I upgrade a weapon. Not just visuals, sometimes even the visual FEEL of it (like the Chrome Shotgun, I'm sure you understand).

When you get the time for a Final RC, you should plan up on the visual changes for upgrades. For now, you oughta worry about coding non-stop.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Blackgrowl wrote:Damn, I really like what you did with the Fists' upgrades. It not only makes them stronger, it makes them STUN enemies!
I also really love that visual effect, which is pretty much an "electric shock thunder" of shorts, that's how I would see the Warrior if he was an Elemental; Thunder; fast, sudden and incredibly dangerous.
Thanks; despite it being fairly simple; its actually a stack of new things in there. :shock:
Blackgrowl wrote:It's still worth it though!
One of the reasons I love Trailblazer so much is the fact that visuals change when I upgrade a weapon. Not just visuals, sometimes even the visual FEEL of it (like the Chrome Shotgun, I'm sure you understand).

When you get the time for a Final RC, you should plan up on the visual changes for upgrades. For now, you oughta worry about coding non-stop.
For sure; I do want to do it; Trailblazer is one of my favourites. Chrome Justice upgraded is nearly always my second upgrade after the FMG as well; so I understand. :lol:
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Spent the last couple of days adding in fluff it seems; there are now new wall-hit decals for Quietus, and new sprites for the Grappling Chain, both of which were in need of some love.

The upgrades are moving along nicely as well; I anticipate all the Myrmidon ones should be ready for Saturday, so I should do a release then.

I also finally completed a full run of both Heretic and Hexen with Walpurgis (Hexen with the Magister, Heretic with a different character for each episode (lol)) and I was happy with the results. A couple of extra things are due on the block to be balanced; but my goal of presenting a mod that is more powerful and cooler than the base game without going into OP and Russian Overkill crazy territory is progressing well! (Disclaimer: I really like RO and Trailblazer, as I'm sure you know, but its not the goal here!)

Oh, and there will be a CVAR to switch off mana dynamic light, hopefully.
eharper256

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [0.84- "Lumen Fortis"]

Post by eharper256 »

Version 0.84: "Lumen Fortis"

Code: Select all

+New!:	Crusader's Lightbringer got a massive number of graphical improvements
		on its projectiles. Most notably, the primary fire got a revision,
		as did the rainbow shots and lasers. Some remastered SFX too!
+New!:	Firestorm Font's Secondary and Tertiary Fire join the facelift crew as
		well, with the Secondary getting a proper Fireball and a more deadly
		looking looking comet-like corona, and the Tertiary wall gaining some
		taller, more wall-like flames (and better performance!). Decals too!
+New!:	Quietus gets a proper decal to go along with the axe. It uses the
		same slashy decal image; but fades from green to black (like the BFG).
+New!: 	Myrmidon's Grappling Hook also got a facelift; the hook got a new sprite,
		and it has an improved overall look. 
+New!:	Myrmidon's Unarmed attack upgrades all complete (Punches, Grapple).
		Also, if you choose to upgrade Tertiary when in unarmed; you gain a
		brand new tertiary fire!
+New!:	Myrmidon's Axe upgrades all complete (Swings, Vorpal, Thrown).
+New!: 	Myrmidon's Hammer upgrades all done (Swing, Thrown Copy, Quake-Stream).
+New!:	As a result, you can now find Mythic Whetstone in Myrmidon games as a
		drop for you to use. The Crusader & Magister still find other items.
		PLEASE KEEP IN MIND QUIETUS CANNOT BE UPGRADED RIGHT NOW; and you will
		waste your Mythical Whetstones if you try to use them on it.
+New!:	Coloured Strings for all! All the item pickup lines were given coloured 
		strings to allow you quickly ID the things you've just picked up.
+New!:	The Heretic Intermission Text was re-written to match the
		perspective of your Hexen character having defeated Korax and using
		the Chaos Sphere to go and help other realities in need of assistance.
		Will also do all the Doom ones eventually.
+Tweak: Quietus' range on its melee increased slightly to match its blade;
		however its vorpal slashes had their ranged slightly reduced as well.
+Tweak:	Following my Heretic and Hexen playthroughs with Walpurgis, several
		enemies have gotten a few tweaks:
		+	Heretic Iron Lich had Health and Speed doubled. Its quite
			possible to build your ultimate weapon in Heretic's Episode 1,
			and if you do, they're almost a joke boss (lol). At the same
			time, as there are two, and they are later mid-bosses, I
			didn't want to give them Cyberdemon HP. 
		+	Heretic Skeleton Knight gained +15% Speed.
		+	Centaur Elites are now a slightly darker colour; and are heavier.
		+	Both Centaurs deal slightly more melee damage on average (+6%~).
		+	Ettin got a slight (5%) speed boost.
Quite a big update this week; you can now use a good majority of the Myrmidon's upgrades; and pickup whetstones in play to use. Please keep in mind that Quietus doesn't work yet.
There are also quite a few graphical amendments. The Lightbringer and Firestorm Font got considerable visual improvements especially. Obviously, all the upgrades have their own visual quirks as well.

Get it here:
https://mega.nz/file/VJNCBazb#wpMScICuO ... 3DuOpxNS1Q

Edit: Slight derp with the upload; if you were lucky enough to get it in the first few minutes, you'll find a version where you gain free whetstones when you start as the Myrmidon (let my testing version get into the download, oops!) :P
Last edited by eharper256 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

if I hold reload button with lightbringer, I dont need ammo to shoot. Looks like bug (but maybe its a feature :D)

mace alt fire is OP. it has no draw back, dont need ammo. Pushback monsters and projectiles, decent dmg (better than primary). I just move around with hold mace altfire all time.[as fix I suggest altfire to cost green mana, I dont use it for Lightbringer at all]

doing above altMace-ing - i notice when i hit affrit or etting, the yellow overlay from axe appear for split second

apparently when im on zero blue mana, and keep holding lightbringer ALt fire - the light ray last, as long as I hold the button (forever, if i dont release button).

This upgrade system is nice. With choosing what to improve and new graphical effects.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

That blasted Lightbringer and its mana bugs. I thought I'd fixed those. Yes; because it has a special sprite when its out of ammo, it performs erratically sometimes; I can tell from the video the pointer is skipping the mana-check step when jumping from outofmana => reload => fire. I might just re-write the whole code block to be honest. Most people (including me, apparently) shouldn't normally find it; because it will de-equip itself when you are out of mana normally. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mace Alt Fire; its meant to be a spacing tool. The slower attack speed and knockback means that, actually, it deals much less damage over time, even though the hit itself deals about 10% more. I'm dubious about nerfing it; as the Crusader already has the toughest start in many levels (especially in Heretic levels where having a ranged option is expected!). The Yellow Overlay is intentional; it shows you didn't damage that monster and just performed knock-back.

The upgrades will eventually have new sprites for the weapons themselves as well.

Out of interest; why did you turn off the split interface? Just prefer the old style?
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

eharper256 wrote:The Yellow Overlay is intentional; it shows you didn't damage that monster and just performed knock-back.

eharper256 wrote:Out of interest; why did you turn off the split interface? Just prefer the old style?
Such a pretty ornamented hud are rare now days (indie "MSpaint" quality or modern ascetic with tech precision).
+ I dont think about it too much :) I enjoy split as well, more center space is nice. Like the gargoyles.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Huh whuh? I've never seen that before. How freakin' bizarre... I can't duplicate it in my tests. I thought you meant the yellow lightning effect; as that is what you should get. Absolutely nothing else is replacing the axe anywhere in your load-order is it? No texture packs being loaded after my mod?

Hmmm... guess I will put in a failsafe.
Lagi wrote:Such a pretty ornamented hud are rare now days (indie "MSpaint" quality or modern ascetic with tech precision).
+ I dont think about it too much :) I enjoy split as well, more center space is nice. Like the gargoyles.
Fair enough.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Mage's storm spell's (Fulgur, I think?) altfire seems to pass through monsters. Is this intentional?
I know it's not the way it's meant to be used, but when used that way, I would have expected it to explode on the monster.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Jarewill wrote:Mage's storm spell's (Fulgur, I think?) altfire seems to pass through monsters. Is this intentional?
I know it's not the way it's meant to be used, but when used that way, I would have expected it to explode on the monster.
Yes; its intentional. It originally exploded on monsters until 0.8, where if you see in the changelog, it changed, because most thought it was too niche. However; giving it ripper damage as well as the lightning bursts would be too powerful. If I get around to doing 'shock pain' animations for enemies, it will probably trigger those.

Generally, though; if you fire it through enemies it doesn't do hardly anything to that enemy anyway; its most optimal to fling it somewhat over heads and let it rain plasma shocks over things it passes.
Lagi wrote:
eharper256 wrote:The Yellow Overlay is intentional.
I've updated the link to fix your two issues: https://mega.nz/file/VJNCBazb#wpMScICuO ... 3DuOpxNS1Q
Get it again and you should be able to keep your saves; but if you want to be extra cautious, try to save with Firestorm Font equipped before updating (rather than Mace or Lightbringer).
Last edited by eharper256 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”