Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Takuat

Re: Smooth Doom [UPDATE 9/25/19]

Post by Takuat »

Just wanted to say thank you so much for the mod. I've been playing around with a bunch of "smooth" animation sets and yours seems to be the best blend of features and being lightweight, though Dead Marine was definitely a personal favourite. I was actually trying to port over the sounds and HUD from Dead Marine but being pretty new to actual modding it seemed to just break Smooth Doom so I guess I'll be waiting (and praying) for if you get those Dead Marine parts ported over. Thanks again!
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Yeah! I've wanted to add in the sounds from Dead Marine for ages, cause I worked harder on that than probably any other aspect of the mod (a lot of it was custom sound work), I'm just trying to find a way to do it modularly enough where people can switch it off if they don't like it.
VGA

Post by VGA »

Do it the way Doom 64 Retribution does its options.
CyborgParrot
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by CyborgParrot »

I really love this Mod, it's such a nice break from all those hectic in your face adrenaline rushing Gameplay Mods for Doom I usually play.

Dunno if other people have asked you this before but have you thought about making something like this for Heretic/Hexen or Strife?
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

CyborgParrot wrote:I really love this Mod, it's such a nice break from all those hectic in your face adrenaline rushing Gameplay Mods for Doom I usually play.

Dunno if other people have asked you this before but have you thought about making something like this for Heretic/Hexen or Strife?
I've worked a fair bit on smooth weapons for Heretic, but nothing that's ever reached completion. Doing an entire new game would be way too much work for me, but I think the idea of finishing just the weapons would be fun.
Lagi

Post by Lagi »

This mod should be include in default with gzdoom.
Animations +100% Sprite increase quality of play by twice.

The only drawback is that other mods look poor in compare, and the authors would be pressurized to put more works into monster. And even now there is practically zero new beast to exterminate. All is reskin, recolor, Frankenstein, or new frame (wound, attacks).

I notice after playing smooth doom, that joy of play is increased way more by the adding of alternative deaths or wounds - so one monster reaction to our attacks could be something else than the same single death animation. Even just mirroring death animation provide nice differentiation.

That saying i make a statement ( to motivate myself) - I would be now only drawing death animation to existing heretic monsters, no more coding new stuff untill each 7 core actors don't die in at least 2 different way.

Maybe someone else already do something in this matter? To save me some work :D
VGA

Post by VGA »

Can I use this with Final Doomer+ ?

Maybe it's impossible, that mod touches the monsters in some ways, like when some weapons stun the enemies for example.
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

Not unless you merge the changes together, and honestly its probably even trickier than that.
TheArchvile

Post by TheArchvile »

This mod is pretty much 20/10. Excellent job with every single addition. The only thing I would add is making this mod compatible with Zandronum. That's the only thing that holds it back a bit for me.
VindSole

Post by VindSole »

All texture work here is flawless, I love it, however the short torches are colored versions of the blue torch, which leaves a ugly color scheme specially for the red torch, compared to the vanilla one, which is odd because the tall torch version have the correct color.

EDIT: Nvm, I made one, both for the green and red torches.
doomfan

Post by doomfan »

"give" weapons command doesn't work.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

doomfan wrote:"give" weapons command doesn't work.
Smooth Doom creates new definitions for all the weapons, so you'll have to use their new names when typing in the console (the new names are defined in the mod's DECORATE files). Or you could just use "give all"
DoomCATO

Post by DoomCATO »

Can you add the rotating key card back on your next update
HeemboGlobin

Post by HeemboGlobin »

For some reason Hellknights and Barons seem to have a little bit of red blood particles in addition to the green when gibbed, is there a fix for this?

EDIT: I searched and found out this has been reported a few times already a couple years ago, so maybe there's no way to fix it then I guess? This bug is driving me nuts lol.

Also, just wanted to say this mod kicks some serious ass! One thing in particular I love is that the SSG gibs enemies at point-blank, that's just brilliant and makes the gun so satisfying; not to mention the vanilla-style gibs, those are fantastic! Hoping for an update soonish!
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

HeemboGlobin wrote:For some reason Hellknights and Barons seem to have a little bit of red blood particles in addition to the green when gibbed, is there a fix for this?

EDIT: I searched and found out this has been reported a few times already a couple years ago, so maybe there's no way to fix it then I guess? This bug is driving me nuts lol.

Also, just wanted to say this mod kicks some serious ass! One thing in particular I love is that the SSG gibs enemies at point-blank, that's just brilliant and makes the gun so satisfying; not to mention the vanilla-style gibs, those are fantastic! Hoping for an update soonish!
I'm gonna try a few script things and see what turns out, when paired with Nash's Gore mod it's 100% more apparent.

UPDATE:
I found out that it was lacking a certain part of script; it was spawning default flying blood instead of it's own modified flying blood. Find this in Deco/Gore and fill in the lines.
(this will also be included in my updated Neural Smooth Doom, It also has grey blood and fuzzy gibs for spectres)

EDIT:

Code: Select all

ACTOR GreenGibs2: Gibs2
{
	decal greenbloodsmear
	translation "172:191=116:125","32:47=116:125","16:31=114:117"
	states
	{
	Spawn:
		GIBS C 1 a_spawnitemex("greenflyingblood",random(-1,1),random(-1,1),random(-1,1),random(-1,1),random(-1,1),-1,random(0,360))
		Loop
	}
}

Return to “Gameplay Mods”