Reincarnation of Evil - Remaking Doom 3/4 Content in 2

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Hidden Hands

Re: Reincarnation of Evil - Remaking Doom 3/4 Content in 2

Post by Hidden Hands »

Ghastly wrote:Reincarnation of Evil is a project dedicated to remaking the new content (monsters, weapons and items) in Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil and Doom 2016. The goal is to provide a resource for mappers to use, remaking these new resources in a way that lets them fit in with the original lineup of Doom 2 monsters and weapons, while providing different gameplay roles or themes mappers may find useful.

Formerly, this project was trying to remake all of the monsters from Doom 3, including monsters that already existed in Doom 2. I won't try to do that this time, unless the Doom 3 version is significantly different. I realized the only way remaking all of the monsters would be useful is to remake Doom 3 in (G)ZDoom, but in that case I'd just play Doom 3 anyway.

The names will have links to reference screenshots from the games themselves.

Progress:
Monsters:
Zombie Civilian: Not started
Hazmat Zombie: Not started
Chainsaw Zombie: Not started (Might cut. Not really significantly different)
ZSec (Pistol): Done
ZSec (Shotgun): Done
ZSec (Machinegun): Done
ZSec (Pistol/Shield): Not started
Zombie Commando: Not started

Trite: Done
Tick: Not started
Forgotten One: Done-ish. I'd like to get a sprite-set like Doom 3's Lost Soul for this, but *shrug*.
Cherub: Not started
Maggot: Not started
Vulgar: Not started
Wraith: Done
Pinky: Not started (I consider this different enough from Doom's Demon)
Bruiser: Not started

Vagary: Not started
Helltime Hunter: Not started
Berzerk Hunter: Not started
Invul Hunter: Not started
Sabaoth: Not started
Guardian: Not started (Seekers: Not started)
Maledict: Not started

Gore Nest: Not started
Hell Razer: Not started
Summoner: Not started
Prowler: Not started
Harvester: Not started
Hell Guard: Not started
Weapons:
Heavy Assault Rifle: Not started
Chaingun: Not started
Gauss Cannon: Not started

Vortex Rifle: Not started
Lightning Gun: Have sprites. Mostly working, still a little janky.
Burst Rifle: Not started
Grenade Launcher: Done
EMG Mark V Pistol: Working code
Reaper: Not started
Hellshot: Code's mostly done
Static Rifle: Not started
Items:
Gas Can: Code's done, needs pickup sprite
Chaingun Belt: Code's done, needs pickup sprite
Grenade Box: Needs pickup sprite
BFG Cell: Code's done, needs pickup sprite

Armor Shard: Done
Air Tank: Done!
Adrenaline: Needs pickup sprite
Soul Cube: Code's done, needs pickup and projectile sprites
Artifact: Code's done, needs pickup sprite(s).

Berserk (Sphere): Code's done, needs pickup sprite
Quad Damage: Code's done, needs pickup sprite
Demon Rune: Not started, easy to code, needs pickup sprite
Haste: Code's done, needs pickup sprite
Invisibility: Code's done,needs pickup sprite
Regeneration: Done!

Frag Grenade: Code's done, need sprites for projectile and pickup (separate from Grenade Box, that's an ammo pickup for Grenade Launcher)
Megahealth: Done
Argent Cell: Done, needs a pickup sprite (the massive container in Doom 4 would not work at all)
Lateral Thrusters: Needs pickup sprite
Hologram: Done
Siphon Grenade: Working code, needs a pickup and projectile sprite

Personal Teleporter: Code's done, needs a pickup and a projectile sprite.
Threat Pulse: Not started. Have some ideas
Shield Wall: Not started but easy. I've made something similar a few times. Needs a pickup sprite and a sprite for individual shield sections
Tesla Rocket: Code works, needs pickup and projectile sprites.
Threat Sensor: Not started. Have some ideas
Kinetic Mine: Code's done, needs pickup and projectile sprites.
Misc:
Sentry Bot: Not started
Supply Drone: Code's mostly done
Munitions Crate: Done
Health Station: Not started
Hell Barrel: Not started
Reference screenshots from Doom 3 are taken with Doom 3: BFG Edition with high-res skin/texture mods, where possible.

Screenshots:
Image Image Image

Video:
Spoiler:
Notes:
Monsters:
Spoiler:
Weapons:
Spoiler:
Items:
Spoiler:
Downloadable Betas:
*Nothing right now*
Have you got any download of your work so far?
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

This might be a question that someone already asked here and i didn't look it up but:

With the focus on actually new enemy types, does that mean later iterations of Doom 1/2 monsters don't count or are there exceptions for when certain designs or gameplay roles are more different?
Like the Doom 3 Pinky looking completely different or most of 2016/Eternal's enemies having new attacks and some not even having the same attacks as their classic counterparts.

I do like the idea of making the new stuff fit with the older games (sometimes even aesthetically) and i even had some ideas about this:

* Like the Kahn Maykr's design resembling a typical human female angel statue, but with golden wings and her brain on top of her head almost resembling a pope hat with some metal wires around it. (i like the idea that a Heaven in Doom would parallel classic Doom Hell in the sense that some enemies, levels, textures, props and even items like keys and power ups could draw similarities and differences)
* When i think of the Hell Guards, i think of how 2016 "uncybered" the Mancubus, so i imagine a demonic metal armor suit (with some flesh, horns and a pentagram on the front) still piloted by a demonic worm but the staff and mace are more "medieval" looking.
* The Carcass could be a frankensprite based off Arachnotron legs and a Chaingunner's body. (i guess some other enemies could be based off existing sprites like the Dreadknight still having horns because he's an HK variant, the Prowler being a purple Imp with some differences or the Cybermanc being what he is in D4V)
* And Gargoyles could resemble that one Satyr stone face wall texture or even Doom 64's gargoyles.

These are some ideas.

Edit as of Feb/12: had some more ideas of "classic" designs of new demons that may have taken a bit of creativity but:

* Maybe the Cybermancs could have an armor similar to the player's or an helmet/visor based off the vanilla armor bonus.
* Hell Razers being rock/volcano-like?
* Possessed engineers don't seem that special.
* Possessed soldiers having an actual classic Plasma Rifle fused with their flesh and they're based off the classic Doomguy armor but colored white (or blue to fit that Plasma theme) and their helmet is broken. (like the front/bottom part is still there and it's the eyes/forehead that is exposed)
* I once thought Summoners looked like fallen angels because of the wings and "crown", so that could be exploitable in some way.
* Doom Hunter: At first, the obvious would be a Cyberdemon edit where the "platform" is stylized to resemble certain textures/weapon sprites and his "gun" could be an arm cannon for simplicity and there's debate on whether or not he keeps the double saw. his design seems Doom enough in some ways but a change of details for simplicity and art style don't seem like a bad idea. For creativity i thought of him having a nose ring like a Heretic Maulotaur.
* Fire Baron: already exists as that one Realm667 monster spriteset but with fire blades. (maybe some "rocky" details from the 2016 Baron could fit)
* WhipLash: besides simpler details i remember Hugo Martin saying the design was meant to be more noticeably female so i wondered if something inspired by either the Doom 3 Vagary or even that one cut D64 monster could work: making the upper half resemble a female human (still with exposed brain and horns and other details) to create a weird mix of human nudity and demonic elements.
* Marauder: i always imagined that an "evil Doomguy" would easily carry the same helmet but with horns and have some background like "made to kill you" or "remember the boss you beat up before you were sent to Phobos? that's him".

I just imagined that a different lore could apply to some alternate timeline/"what if" designs.

Edit day 17: actually, maybe the Cybermanc's armor could be similar to that of the classic Revenant and Prowler's eyes could be different like they have a cyber thing attached with big red circles or something.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Hidden Hands wrote:Have you got any download of your work so far?
I don't at the moment, I wanted to get some more stuff done before I put stuff out for people to play around with and drum up some interest.
whatup876 wrote:With the focus on actually new enemy types, does that mean later iterations of Doom 1/2 monsters don't count or are there exceptions for when certain designs or gameplay roles are more different?
That's it, basically. I don't really see much of a reason to include Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal's takes on Imp, for example, when they look so similar to it, and behave much the same. The new Imps do have that fireball-charging gimmick, but that is behavior I could put on the Gargoyle, for example. Doom 3's Pinky is mostly on the list because I absolutely love that design, and I think I could make it pretty interesting compared to the original Pinky. I had considered adding Doom 3's and 2016's Hell Knight to the list as well, for the same reason, but I don't think I will for a couple of reasons. I've also been considering the Cyber-Mancubus, but I can't really think of anything to really set it apart from other monsters in the list. I'll have to think about that one some more.
I do like the idea of making the new stuff fit with the older games (sometimes even aesthetically)
I think making them fit aesthetically is just as important. This is intended as resources for people to use to make their projects more interesting, and I think these will be much more useful in that way if modders can put them in alongside the original weapons and monsters without them clashing in style too much.

With Eternal's release, I've been playing through it and putting together a list of things in it that I want to remake. Before I have the full list, I did want to ask opinions on one particular thing. I'll put it in spoiler tags, for those who don't want Eternal spoilers:
Spoiler:
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Realized i have a post about designs here https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nt-2085981 but it may not have much difference from my other comment here.

For new enemy abilities, there's a lot of new attacks and ideas from the new enemies in 2016 and Eternal, but one pet peeve of mine is when some enemies seem to reuse certain attacks or share similar attacks, which means i can see where these "classicfied" enemies would have to have new original attacks.

The enemy attacks from the new games i see are.
* soldier projectile that stops in mid air and explodes
* imp chargign fireball
* plasma shotgunner with energy shield
* hell razer being like a tiny Quake shambler
* some revenant rockets can at time "spin" like the projectiles of the Dark Bishop from Hexen
* mancubi shooting one fireball at a time but this sounds boring
* flamethrower
* arachnotron grenades and attaching to the ceiling
* prowler teleportation and 3 fireballs at once
* summoner with enemy summoning, teleportation or a similar fast travel thing where they turn into red energy
* exploding lost soul and clueball/engineer guy (the former even explodes after death, so they are more dangerous in Eternal i think)
* 2016 cacodemons could blur your vision and i think that stayed in Eternal
* the way how lost souls function with the new PE
* i think the cybermanc's liquid pools could be represented with Hexen like poison gas clouds, so they're just different in visuals
* maybe the same for the dreadknight's energy pool but he also shoots a line shaped projectile (similar to 2016's cybie i think)
* not sure about the whiplash
* how some enemies like baron can jump and smack the ground
* pinky shell armor
* carcass with energy shield summoning and how he shoots multiple "rings" in seperate bursts
* 2016 cybie had ceiling rockets falling to the ground, rail gun, ability to summon walls, horizontal line projectiles and advanced movement
* hell guards could thow a mace like a boomerang that shoots projectiles while in the air (and they were travelling in some arc), the had the spinning fire sticks coming from him, like they have a lot of weird unique attacks
* mastermind had bombs, floor electicity and laser beams too or something
* archvile has a fire shield, some "floor projectile" that was also for the whiplash, he's mostly a summoner but he also could buff enemies and summon a fire thing than explodes near the player
* harvester has a lightning gun-esque attack so he could summon 5 fireballs or something
* gargoyles are mostly like flying imps
* doom hunter seems like a stronger revenant or cyberdemon with a chainsaw, energy shields and occasional energy projectile
* marauder has the ssg, shield, dash, wofl and a spinning line shaped projectile, which can be different from other projectiles
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

whatup876 wrote:For new enemy abilities, there's a lot of new attacks and ideas from the new enemies in 2016 and Eternal, but one pet peeve of mine is when some enemies seem to reuse certain attacks or share similar attacks
I am probably cutting back on the number of things each individual monster can do, to make sure everything is fairly unique in the lineup.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Gez

Post by Gez »

I kinda feel the same about the Hell priests, they don't really make sense outside of Eternal's story.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

I'm not as concerned about Hell-themed things. Completely divorced from Eternal's plot, if I gave it the Totem's abilities, it would be another Hell-themed monster.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Are they really hell-themed, though? They're just humans with robes and crowns. It feels like they'd fit better as some mage enemies in Heretic or something.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Gez wrote:Are they really hell-themed, though? They're just humans with robes and crowns. It feels like they'd fit better as some mage enemies in Heretic or something.
They'd definitely work in Heretic as well, but I think they look sufficiently demonic (or at least zombie-like).
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I mean, the priests really are just story characters with no gameplay impact like enemies, so it's safer to focus on the actual enemies instead.
Although, if anyone wanted to make story based mods or put some Strife into Doom, i can see the use of sprites for them, like there would be for Hayden and others too.

Also, the Gladiator has an attack that shoots back projectiles when hit with projectiles, while the Marauder's shield can actually reflect some stuff.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

whatup876 wrote:I mean, the priests really are just story characters with no gameplay impact like enemies
That's why I was asking for opinions earlier; I'm considering moving the Buff Totem's function over to a possible Hell Priest monster.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Another thing i could mention is that the Hell Priests being characters means there aren't multiple of them like an enemy type.
There IS concept art from the leaked art book where they looked more demonic and less human, so that could work and fit more.

I also think that the multiplayer components of both 2016 and Eternal give enemies abilities that they don't have in single player.
Ghastly
... in rememberance ...

Post by Ghastly »

Finished 100%ing the game, went through and got reference screenshots for everything. Updated the first post with the list. I even have a pretty good idea how I want a lot of these to work.

I threw both Buff Totem and Hell Priest in the list. Even if I personally would use a faceless, anonymous Hell Priest in a mod I make, the Buff Totem would be an easy enough sprite that I may as well include it in the pack for people who'd prefer to use that.
Faceman2000

Post by Faceman2000 »

That seems like a solid idea to me!
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

According to Drpyspy, this spriteset is based off the possessed soldiers from 2016 but in classic Doom.

https://twitter.com/DrPyspy/status/1245464402402267136

Reminds me of what i described a classic iteration of the enemy to be, except that the soldiers in that game were the modern zombiemen, so this one carries an assault rifle instead of a Plasma rifle.

Return to “Resources”