"Soul" of a sector

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

NickDoom

"Soul" of a sector

Post by NickDoom »

Imagine medkits, ammo crates etc. made of subsectors, not sprites. The attached object ("soul") becomes invisible, the sector works instead of it.
If "soul" blocks movement (a torch, an imp), both clipping and rendering are calculated the common way.
If it does not (an ammo box, a dead imp), only rendering is calculated for the subsector, but clipping is calculated for the floor and ceiling of the surrounding sector (so both surfaces become smooth as if there was no subsector).
If "soul" is removed (picked up, died like a pain elemental) both clipping and rendering are calculated for the surrounding sector (so subsector disappears both visually and physically).
Of course, all damage to sector walls is transmitted to the "soul". "Soul" speed is set to zero, but it can shoot, so it's usable for turrets, too.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: "Soul" of a sector

Post by phantombeta »

I- What?
What?
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

A "quick hack version" of VoxelDoom, based on existing rendering abilities (sectors). Unfortunatelly, it covers static objects only.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Sounds like what OP wants is 3D rendered actors. This has no business being part of the map code...
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Can you just use 3D models?
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

ZZYZX wrote:Can you just use 3D models?
Yeah, the idea is rather for BSP-only ports than for GZDoom.
I've chosen the wrong place to suggest it :roll:
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

NickDoom wrote:A "quick hack version" of VoxelDoom, based on existing rendering abilities (sectors). Unfortunatelly, it covers static objects only.
What is ''VoxelDoom'' anyway? Because it sounds like a source port and i am fairly sure you mean a project that converts Doom actors to voxelized forms.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Yeah, the Voxel Doom Project (and this port is actually an experimental branch of GZDoom made in 2010).
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

NickDoom wrote:Yeah, the Voxel Doom Project (and this port is actually an experimental branch of GZDoom made in 2010).
The Voxel Doom Project i know. But ''this'' port, which thread/link are you referencing here???

EDIT: It seems you mean the Wikia page about the project. and this thread in particular.

EDIT2: You are aware of RDVOX/RDDVOX which is a project of new voxel assets for both GZDoom and DelphiDoom?

EDIT3: This post mentions a ZDoom based SVN build with voxel support from 2010, but having downloaded it, it contains no compiled executable. Also found in this October 8, 2010 DW post. Seems to me that link was updated over time by DooMAD and only now contains the voxel stuff without the executable.

EDIT4: Turns out i was right on that. Here is an Archive.org backup of the file as it were on October 14, 2011. When downloaded, it packs 2.3 MB (As opposed to the 300 kb or so of the original) and indeed contains a ZDoom executable, dated December 19, 2010.

EDIT5: You know what, i just fetched the latest archive.org link that still has the executable. Here is the link, from August 13, 2012. ZDoom build is still December 19, 2010, but it has updated files, mostly credits related. Starting from December 7, 2013 (The next archived link), the executable is removed.

I reckon these unofficial builds (by Exl) were made prior before official voxel support got into ZDoom.

EDIT6: And this is also true. ZDoom 2.5.0 was released on August 11, 2010. Voxel branch appeared in October. It was only at ZDoom 2.6.0 from July 2, 2012, almost 2 years (1 year, 11 months) later, that voxel support was added.

So it made sense to have a custom build around back then because the code simply was not in mainline yet, similarly to how GZDoom-ZDRay today is a custom build, but that carries a different reason.

I remembered this as i was researching the seperate Voxel branch some time ago.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Redneckerz wrote: EDIT: It seems you mean the Wikia page about the project. and this thread in particular.
Yep. The Wikia page still lacks the most important fact, however.
Redneckerz wrote: EDIT2: You are aware of RDVOX/RDDVOX which is a project of new voxel assets for both GZDoom and DelphiDoom?
Unfortunately no. It clearly says "Voxels for (G)ZDoom". I knew VoxelDoom fork is dead, but I didn't know it's because the job is finished, not failed. I didn't know the voxel engine is complete and merged with the main branch (and wiki page still lacks this info). Reading the RDVOX thread makes it obvious.

So, voxel support has bees stopped for a decade because of lack of voxel packs, not because of voxel engine troubles? Most screenshots show static items. Should I try to combine some monster sprites into a voxel model, will it help the project or I'm late?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

NickDoom wrote: Yep. The Wikia page still lacks the most important fact, however.
Which would be?

The Wikia page should not be used, anyway. Its not official, its edited by people that aren't part of the official Doom Wiki, and the Wikia Team itself is infamously bad at handling things. So no.
NickDoom wrote: Unfortunately no. It clearly says "Voxels for (G)ZDoom". I knew VoxelDoom fork is dead, but I didn't know it's because the job is finished, not failed. I didn't know the voxel engine is complete and merged with the main branch (and wiki page still lacks this info).
And that's why you should not stare blindly on the Wikia page :) The ZDoomWiki page in EDIT6 links to the precise moment Voxel support was added to ZDoom, at 2.6.0.
NickDoom wrote: So, voxel support has bees stopped for a decade because of lack of voxel packs, not because of voxel engine troubles?
Yes. This is why i linked to RDVOX - That's an upcoming voxel pack for both Z/GZDoom and Delphidoom. Since Z/GZDoom now have voxel support, they can use the voxel renderings made by GRAU (the author) there.
NickDoom wrote: Most screenshots show static items. Should I try to combine some monster sprites into a voxel model, will it help the project or I'm late?
GRAU has had a voxel rendition of a lost soul, and his pack has been featured on Realm667. You can always contact him at DoomWorld and offer your assistance, but for now, it seems GRAU is the only publically active developer working with this.

His assets are quite amazing though.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”