Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 30/10/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Regios

Re: Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 29/11/19]

Post by Regios »

You know what this mod needs to make the Metal Slug comparison complete?

Protip: Super Vehicle 001

But all in due time, I guess. Don't burn yourself out working on something!
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Updates feel mostly good, but there are a few issues I have with the new missile gatling. Namely, the fact it fires semi seeking shots and lacks accuracy make it problematic when you need an accurate rocket shot to go somewhere, like, say, the Icon of Sin's weakspot in Map30 of vanilla Doom 2.

While I'm not saying the missiles need to go, I think we still need a good, accurate slot 5 alongside it for situations that require dealing splash damage at a distance. Maybe something that consumes multiple missiles but fires a single, high speed explosive shot akin to Metal Slug's Super Grenade?

Also, the lightning gun and laser feel like they do too similar a job, with the lightning gun just being a slow firing laser, and the laser being, well...better. In every way except ammo consumption, which the Lightning gun is admittedly better at. To that end, what if we had something similar to Metal Slug's Flame Shot? A slow moving, firey projectile that doesn't explode on impact, but instead burns everything it passes through, making it ideal for groups of heavier enemies that a shotgun can't deal with reliably?

Also, I noticed the Spider Mastermind hasn't been replaced yet, but I can totally think of what SHOULD replace him.

"C'mon boy! You're mincemeat! Run home to mommy! See you in hell!"
Melodica
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Melodica »

Regios wrote:You know what this mod needs to make the Metal Slug comparison complete?

Protip: Super Vehicle 001

But all in due time, I guess. Don't burn yourself out working on something!
I am planning on adding it to the mod eventually, altho main focus currently is finishing the weapons and monsters.
retronutcase wrote:there are a few issues I have with the new missile gatling. Namely, the fact it fires semi seeking shots and lacks accuracy make it problematic when you need an accurate rocket shot to go somewhere, like, say, the Icon of Sin's weakspot in Map30 of vanilla Doom 2. [...] Maybe something that consumes multiple missiles but fires a single, high speed explosive shot akin to Metal Slug's Super Grenade?
I've taken care of that, actually. %here's both a new Rocket Launcher that's more like the vanilla doom one, and also the ability "charge" your grenade throws by holding down alt fire instead of tapping it to throw them farther, exploding on contact with walls and not bouncing around, so you can take care of the IOS even if you only have the Missile Gun.
retronutcase wrote:Also, the lightning gun and laser feel like they do too similar a job
I've also taken notice of this, and I am trying to figure out ways to balance it, altho I might end up making an entirely new BFG weapon and retool the Laser Cannon into a weaker version of itself to go into the Plasma Rifle slot, working as a more straightforward alternative to the Thunder Gun.
retronutcase wrote:To that end, what if we had something similar to Metal Slug's Flame Shot?
There was a Flame Shot esque weapon before, and I am planning on reworking it to be more like Metal Slug's Flame Shot, also working as an alternative to the current SSG.
retronutcase wrote:"C'mon boy! You're mincemeat! Run home to mommy! See you in hell!"
I do plan on giving him an appereance in the mod, but I can't say much aside from that yet!
friendly_iceman:)

Post by friendly_iceman:) »

i just discovered that holding r key while rapidly pressing right mouse key increase knife attack spped is this a bug?
Melodica

Post by Melodica »

I am aware of that animation cancelling trick, and while it's funni to turbo punch anything other than a tank to death, it's been fixed for a while, just gotta get a new test version out I guess.
JuliusKoolius

Post by JuliusKoolius »

I'm really sorry if I sound impatient, but when is the next test version gonna be out?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I'm sorry that you're impatient with the update, but perhaps we should wait until the news arrives.

Anyway i was playing this mod for a while, with Plutonia and some ideas popped out of my brain. I kinda want to share them for you:

- I love the fact that the all lesser humanoid demons are replaced with real humans with guns and attitude. However i would like to see them visually appealing. Like them being gibbed by explosives, blasted off by close-range shotgun blast or being burned alive. It sounds rather gruesome, but that's how Metal Slug franchise displays Anti-war message in guilty-pleasure way, right? And it somehow works.

- Speaking of the original game, i would like to hear some sounds from the game itself. You don't have to because the sounds are already there, but just saying.

- You can spam with the Grenade and is very satisfying. But would be great if i could get myself more grenade variants like Fire Bomb or Stone. I know that it's gonna be finicky to code them in, so i'd recommend changing the grenade type once you pickup other variant.

- So the Chili Basket is the Berserk replacement. I actually expected doomguy to breath fire instead of punching with over 9000 horsepower like in Vanilla Doom! Heh

And i see that you're going to add Ridable vehicles once both weapons and enemies are all replaced. I'd recommend looking up for Lizard Squad, by lizardcommando. Him and Ed the Bat somehow manage to add such feature to the game!
Melodica

Post by Melodica »

Hey, actually a bunch of those ideas you suggested there are already in, Captain J! I just need to actually put out a new test version, wich I might do for the monsters as
those im not having as many roadblocks with as I am with the weapons.
Captain J wrote:Anyway i was playing this mod for a while, with Plutonia and some ideas popped out of my brain. I kinda want to share them for you:

- I love the fact that the all lesser humanoid demons are replaced with real humans with guns and attitude. However i would like to see them visually appealing. Like them being gibbed by explosives, blasted off by close-range shotgun blast or being burned alive. It sounds rather gruesome, but that's how Metal Slug franchise displays Anti-war message in guilty-pleasure way, right? And it somehow works.
The rebel soldiers do have a few more death animations! They (somewhat) work with other gameplay mods, aswell, namely the fire deaths.
Captain J wrote:- Speaking of the original game, i would like to hear some sounds from the game itself. You don't have to because the sounds are already there, but just saying.
I have been using more sounds from the original Metal Slug games aswell, my main concern is just sound quality, mainly just for the weapons.
Captain J wrote:- You can spam with the Grenade and is very satisfying. But would be great if i could get myself more grenade variants like Fire Bomb or Stone. I know that it's gonna be finicky to code them in, so i'd recommend changing the grenade type once you pickup other variant.
Different grenade variants are also in and working! You can get either Grenades, Firebombs, and Stones, and it works more akin to subweapons in Castlevania Rondo of Blood, where picking a new one will drop your previous grenade type, so you can go back and swap it out whenever you want. They will still use the same ammo type, and getting the same type of grenade just gives you 10 extra grenades aswell.

EDIT: A new test version of only the monsters has been released! Includes a whole bunch of new enemies, and all the rebel soldier sprites have been edited to more closely resemble the original Metal Slug sprites!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Melodica wrote:The rebel soldiers do have a few more death animations! They (somewhat) work with other gameplay mods, aswell, namely the fire deaths.
Enemies being gibbed? Sure, it's there. But it seems the flame projectile has too much damage or have no fire damage at all, so it tend to just gib the enemies instead of burning them. And speaking of which, i would like to see them flying around screaming after you kill them with explosives! That would be fun.
I have been using more sounds from the original Metal Slug games aswell, my main concern is just sound quality, mainly just for the weapons.
Yeah, but still Heavy Machinegun and Shotgun don't play their signature firing sound effect. i could donate some if you want!
Linz

Re: Iron Snail [New v2.0 Monsters test 15/06/20]

Post by Linz »

Hey,question

Does the music randomizer play any MS5 music? If not,Speeder would be cool to have,just a suggestion
leo1302g

Post by leo1302g »

hello , i want to play your ironsnail monster pack with action doom weapons pack but i don't know why the hitscan based enemy aren't replaced with the ironsnail monsters. Can you help me ?
Melodica

Post by Melodica »

leo1302g wrote:hello , i want to play your ironsnail monster pack with action doom weapons pack but i don't know why the hitscan based enemy aren't replaced with the ironsnail monsters. Can you help me ?
Action Doom has it's own custom monsters and isn't compatible with gameplay mods without custom patches.
Linz

Post by Linz »

Oh hey Melodica

How's work on the mod doing?
Melodica

Re: Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 17/04/21]

Post by Melodica »

New update! this time for both the weapons and monsters. It's been a bit over a year since the last actual update to the weaponset, but I havent abandoned this yet, just been very quiet about actual update progress.

Stuff that's changed from the last version of the weapons that I actually remember:
-New HUD
-New grenade types
-the font from the arcade Metal Slug games is now in the mod
-POWs (no hobos sprites though)
-A few weapon tweaks.
-A few new weapon sprites.
-A few weapons that werent in the previous release.

There's a few changes to the monster pack aswell, but theyre very minor compared to the changes in the weapon set.
64palm
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Iron Snail [New v2.0 test 17/04/21]

Post by 64palm »

Melodica wrote:New update! this time for both the weapons and monsters. It's been a bit over a year since the last actual update to the weaponset, but I havent abandoned this yet, just been very quiet about actual update progress.

Stuff that's changed from the last version of the weapons that I actually remember:
-New HUD
-New grenade types
-the font from the arcade Metal Slug games is now in the mod
-POWs (no hobos sprites though)
-A few weapon tweaks.
-A few new weapon sprites.
-A few weapons that werent in the previous release.

There's a few changes to the monster pack aswell, but theyre very minor compared to the changes in the weapon set.

sorry but im experiencing a bug when i shoot a pistol a graphic become a dark glitch
sorry for my english

Return to “Gameplay Mods”