Doom Bot / AI by Sunbeam

Things that are still useful but aren't launchers, engines, or editors go here.
Sunbeam

Doom Bot / AI by Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Hey everybody!
I've worked on a new Doom bot project for quite some time. Please take a look and tell me what you think of it! :)

Have a good day!

(I'm not sure this is the right sub-forum because it is neither a TC, a game engine nor a separate utility...)

Join the Sunbeam Discord for discussion and feedback!
Click here!
Last edited by Sunbeam on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cherno

Re: Doom Bot / AI by Sunbeam

Post by Cherno »

Impressive stuff! I wonder, what would the application of a bot that can traverse most levels on it's own be, though? A coop partner, sure, but how does it handle combat?
Solid-Head

Post by Solid-Head »

When I thought that TDRR bots were the best things ever. Automatic waypoints ? Color me impress ! I'm curious to see how you did it.

As I can see right now, it look more intelligent than AUTODOOM (which can't beat MAP02 because of that jump). Does it shoot enemies ?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Extremely impressive. Is it ZScript based? By the way, where are you from? :)
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Thank you all! 😊
Cherno wrote:Impressive stuff! I wonder, what would the application of a bot that can traverse most levels on it's own be, though? A coop partner, sure, but how does it handle combat?
A coop partner for one. And on the other hand: Just entertainment. 😉
It doesn't handle combat at the moment. I focused on pathing first. Of course somewhere along the way it should be able to handle some demons.
Solid-Head wrote:When I thought that TDRR bots were the best things ever. Automatic waypoints ? Color me impress ! I'm curious to see how you did it.

As I can see right now, it look more intelligent than AUTODOOM (which can't beat MAP02 because of that jump). Does it shoot enemies ?
As I said: No enemies at the moment. I've seen Autodoom and it looks interesting! Yes, at least in that one specific feature my bot is a step ahead. 😉
Tormentor667 wrote:Extremely impressive. Is it ZScript based? By the way, where are you from? :)
No, it's completely implemented in the engine.
It seems I'm from the same country as you. 😉
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Sunbeam wrote:No, it's completely implemented in the engine.
It seems I'm from the same country as you. 😉
Colour me interested. Would it be possible to get this as a code patch to include directly in GZDoom itself?

Obviously that means you get credit.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I'd definitely like to see this merged into the mainline engine. It's time to dump the cajun bots for good.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Tormentor667 wrote:Extremely impressive. Is it ZScript based? By the way, where are you from? :)
No, it's completely implemented in the engine. It seems I'm from the same country as you. 😉[/quote]
According to your accend, I assumed that :)

Regarding the whole thing: Adding this to GZDoom and replacing Cajun would be awesome!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I tried AutoDoom and was disappointed that it didn't even pass the first vanilla Doom levels. This looks like it could actually beat the entire game at some point. An amazing achievement!
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Rachael wrote:Colour me interested. Would it be possible to get this as a code patch to include directly in GZDoom itself?
In general: Yes. BUT for one there are still several cases that the bot can't handle (I only showed the things that worked in the video 😉) and the code would probably not meet your requirements at the moment. Still needs cleanup.
NightFright wrote:I tried AutoDoom and was disappointed that it didn't even pass the first vanilla Doom levels. This looks like it could actually beat the entire game at some point. An amazing achievement!
Thanks! I didn't try AutoDoom myself, but from what I saw in videos I already found it quite impressive.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I have to say, that's impressive. The way it can figure out quite complex constructs and map/switch logic is really cool.

Obviously it's not ready to replace Cajun just yet because Cajun can fight enemies and can be used in DM but I hope those things might be along the road at some point.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Enjay wrote:I have to say, that's impressive. The way it can figure out quite complex constructs and map/switch logic is really cool.

Obviously it's not ready to replace Cajun just yet because Cajun can fight enemies and can be used in DM but I hope those things might be along the road at some point.
Thanks!
Theoretically I could combine the pathing of my bot with the fighting ability of ZCajun. Dirty, but should work. 😉
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Impressive stuff. If this is an in-engine source mod and its not working up for all user cases yet, perhaps consider an unofficial build so people can playtest/help out with your progress?

This would be similar, i realize, to how the older Cajun Bots did it, being a source modification that didn't get any mainline integration, but in the here and now, it is something you could consider :)
Marcus101RR
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Marcus101RR »

What about other than scrapping the idea of trying to create an AI that self-learns to complete Doom Levels, make it an actually Squadmate-esque-like Mass Effect? As in have the player command said AI Companions to follow, attack, move, etc. With the exception that they would have to at least learn to grab items once in a while that they need to continue the fight.

There have been quite a few evolution of Cooperative Bots in the ZDoom/GZDoom era while I was gone.

Brutal Friends being the common one as of right now.
Isabella Companion which is basically what Brutal Friends is.
Marine Express which were basic Monster Type emulation of bots, but utterly stupid using Friendly flag.
AutoDoom which sadly is its own self Doom Engine, so you can't just drop into ZDoom/GZDoom?
Coop Bots which was a more advanced decorate magic.
Coop Marines, another decorate magic.

Am I missing any? I think there was another mod but i can't find it.
Sunbeam

Post by Sunbeam »

Redneckerz wrote:Impressive stuff. If this is an in-engine source mod and its not working up for all user cases yet, perhaps consider an unofficial build so people can playtest/help out with your progress?
Thanks. This might be a good idea in the future, but for now I know of enough places where the bot needs improvement. 😉
Marcus101RR wrote:What about other than scrapping the idea of trying to create an AI that self-learns to complete Doom Levels, make it an actually Squadmate-esque-like Mass Effect? As in have the player command said AI Companions to follow, attack, move, etc. With the exception that they would have to at least learn to grab items once in a while that they need to continue the fight.
Ideally this would be the end result. I thought of something like this. Where the player just gives commands to his teammates or maybe just points to a location to order the bot there.
Marcus101RR wrote:There have been quite a few evolution of Cooperative Bots in the ZDoom/GZDoom era while I was gone.
Yes, but from what I have seen only AutoDoom is a "real" AI which can navigate levels properly.

Return to “Miscellaneous”