Rise of the Abyssal (Single level TC)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Night Falls

Rise of the Abyssal (Single level TC)

Post by Night Falls »

Note: Development on making this a full length TC has ceased, it's way too time consuming to work on to feasibly continue development, and I've moved on to other projects. So as of now RotA is just one (decently lenghted) level. Sure, there's still a lot in the game that the one level never got to show, but I think it's a pretty solid and lengthy level for what it is.

Intro
Somewhere, sometime in the past, a civilization was formed around a mysterious energy source which allowed them to create technology that would not be possible otherwise. Then, when the civilization began to flourish, the animalistic species unique to the land became organized and waged war against them.

And then someone shows up on the shore, carrying nothing but a note in an unknown language.

Gameplay
Rise of the Abyssal is a more tactically focused total conversion featuring overhauled combat, monster behaviors, new puzzle mechanics, etc.
You can now kick monsters over to leave them vulnerable or get them temporarily out of your way, and slash staggering demons with a demonic dagger to regain health.
The combat flows kind of like a fast paced dance, dashing around things, kicking, stabbing, shooting, and slashing.
You no longer have medkits, and must instead protect your health with vitality: armor that takes 100% of damage taken. As mentioned above, the main way to regain health is through the demonic dagger.
You're weapons include a versatile sword which delivers a continuous series of swings and slashes, a bow that you pull back and fire, an unconventional crossbow that can fire up to four bolts in a row with dynamic reloading, triggerable explosives and bait for monsters.

Monsters have a wide range of unique behaviors, from dodging to lobbing props at you to breathing jets of flame while chasing after you. Every enemy is unique, and most of them are much smarter than a standard Doom demon.

Trailer

Spoiler: Outdated screenshots
DOWNLOADS
(requires Doom 2 for the time being)
The standard .ipk3 for all you who are familar with GZDoom:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15XGCdv ... sp=sharing
Standalone version with preconfigured GZDoom engine for people unfamilar with GZDoom:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pE6cMX ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Night Falls on Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 21 times in total.
skdursh

Re: Rise of the Abyssal (W.I.P. TC)

Post by skdursh »

This is looking pretty tight so far. I'm interested.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I think you did a great job overall! Gameplay seems fun and there is a nice variety of enemies to fight, and detailed and diverse environments.
What could be improved:
The artstyle could be more unified. Some models have low-res textures, others are more detailed, some surfaces even have normals maps. Sometimes, the hands and weapons of the player character are models (which I liked), sometimes, they are sprites with a completely different look to them.
The monsters, especially the crawling skeletons, could use a smooth rotation and movement system. I know that the default monster behavior leads to models snapping to their new angles and movement positions instantly, so this should be circumvented to achieve a more realistic look.

I hope to see more of this project in the future!
Night Falls

Post by Night Falls »

Pretty much anything that's a sprite is a placeholder, and I just haven't made all the normals yet, but I agree that the rotations look kinda awkward. I don't really know how to fix that.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

First 10 seconds already sold me. I got instantly reminded of PSX titles of past, and an obscure DOS rpg like World of Aden Thunderscape - Which looks really similar to this. Looks high quality already.

And you are a new user aswell! Well, you couldn't make a better impression. Welcome! This goes on the writing queue.

By the way, what does this need? GZDoom? LZDoom?
Night Falls

Post by Night Falls »

Thanks! I've actually been working on this for a couple years now, only recently got around to registering an account for a public announcement. Just takes a while with one person.
I run it on GZDoom, and have used LZDoom in the past, but I haven't tested it recently.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Night Falls wrote:Thanks! I've actually been working on this for a couple years now, only recently got around to registering an account for a public announcement. Just takes a while with one person.
I run it on GZDoom, and have used LZDoom in the past, but I haven't tested it recently.
I can tell that this is quite some times work! It looks very impressive and could easily pass for its own game. Is that something you envision (A standalone title)?
Night Falls

Post by Night Falls »

Yeah, I'm working towards it. I'm still piggybacking on Doom 2 for now, but eventually it should be an independent game of it's own.
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

This looks fantastic! Very impressive!

If you need any assistance with an original soundtrack, I'd be more than happy to help out. :)
Night Falls

Post by Night Falls »

I'm currently working with someone who's doing the soundtrack, but you might be able to work together or on different tracks. I'd have to ask if that's okay with my current musician.
The project could definitely benefit from more people being involved.
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

This looks great! I'll have to try it out
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Night Falls wrote:Pretty much anything that's a sprite is a placeholder, and I just haven't made all the normals yet, but I agree that the rotations look kinda awkward. I don't really know how to fix that.

If you need help with the smooth model movement and rotations, join the zDoom Discord. Boondorl, phantomBeta and me worked on a solution a couple of days ago.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

I'm liking what I'm seeing here! Looking forward to playing this! c:
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Night Falls wrote:I'm currently working with someone who's doing the soundtrack, but you might be able to work together or on different tracks. I'd have to ask if that's okay with my current musician.
The project could definitely benefit from more people being involved.
Well, feel free to hit me up!
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

Night Falls, your in-progress TC has an entry at Realm667.

Look for the entry of March 23. :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”