GZDoom freezing on alt-tab

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Xenaero

GZDoom freezing on alt-tab

Post by Xenaero »

Hi

Don't know if this has been run into yet, did some searches and nothing distinctive came up.

I run GZdoom (x64 build) in fullscreen, native res (1920x1080), software mode on Windows 10. Sometimes I alt tab and when I try to tab back in, it's frozen and I have to task manager nuke it down. Tried a fresh directory with latest version, new config, the works. Not sure what's up. Anything I should be trying?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom freezing on alt-tab

Post by Rachael »

1) What version of GZDoom?
2) What drivers are you using? What is your GPU?
3) If you're using 4.0.0 or later, are you using OpenGL, Softpoly, or Vulkan backend for the software renderer? (It does matter)
Xenaero

Post by Xenaero »

Rachael wrote:1) What version of GZDoom?
2) What drivers are you using? What is your GPU?
3) If you're using 4.0.0 or later, are you using OpenGL, Softpoly, or Vulkan backend for the software renderer? (It does matter)
NVidia 1080 GTX w/ 442.19 drivers
OpenGL w/ Software
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Hmm I am not getting this issue. Will need to know more.

Are you using anything like a multi-monitor setup? It might help if you post a detailed system report, but honestly I can't think of anything else that should cause this issue.
Xenaero

Post by Xenaero »

Rachael wrote:Hmm I am not getting this issue. Will need to know more.

Are you using anything like a multi-monitor setup? It might help if you post a detailed system report, but honestly I can't think of anything else that should cause this issue.
Yeah, I got two monitors, GZDoom launches on the primary. I almost feel like if I leave it alt tabbed long enough it has a higher chance of freezing the longer I'm out of focus. When I try to get back in focus, the display is frozen, music has stopped if there was any playing, and it 'eats' the mouse. It's been real weird. I'm about to try other renderers and windowed to narrow it down, but the root cause is...Mysterious.

I also cannot get this to reproduce on Zandronum where I have very similar renderer settings and I feel like that's probably the closest port to GZDoom.

What system diagnostics report would be helpful in this instance?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Probably DxDiag, just in case someone has another idea about what could be causing this.

Make sure to review the file and edit out personal info (like your real name)
Xenaero

Post by Xenaero »

Here's a DxDiag: https://pastebin.com/4jDHcsSR

I think I might be on to something after some more attempted breakage. It seems to have a much higher, possibly guaranteed breaking point if I click INTO the window to re-focus, rather than clicking the taskbar for the application. I'll do more testing with it but uh, that definitely is a big wtf to me if it ends up being the case.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Okay, so, when I try clicking into GZDoom when it's fullscreen as you described, what happens for me is the mouse cursor disappears. However, if I alt-tab out and alt-tab back in it is responsive for me, but the mouse cursor is now permanently gone until I exit. I tested this using my laptop screen as a secondary monitor.

Return to “Technical Issues”