New Picard trailer just dropped

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Wereknight
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: New Picard trailer just dropped

Post by Wereknight »

Not a big fan of Star Trek but, looking at past few ST big shots (well uh, movies, mostly), might to watch it when will be avaible here...
Oh and... Picard, you say?
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

That video.. wow haha

Apparently CBS has posted the first episode of Picard on YouTube for a limited time. So, if you dont have All Access and want to check it out, you have til Feb 7 to watch it for free. Naturally it's region locked though urgh.

Episode 2 of Picard seen. Glad it explains some of the mysteries & fan complaints about the first episode.
Spoiler:
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Episode 3 seen: (spoiler alert)
Spoiler:
Clippy

Post by Clippy »

As a huge star trek fan going up this show makes me sad cause it's not star trek at all :(
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

It took me a while to get into the pace of it. I'm used to Star Trek being 45 minutes of a big story with a parallel and much more personal story affecting one of the crew (probably Chief O'Brien :roll: ) that somehow mirrors the bigger plot. Both stories, of course, get conveniently wrapped up nice and neatly within about 45 minutes and there is a good moral lesson for us all in the end.

Picard telling one story over the entire season means a slower pace and although lots of things have happened (episode 1 alone had lots of things happening), the story is moving at a much slower pace. Now that I'm into it though, I really like the fact that they can take time to tease out some of the points. e.g. you don't need to understand everything about every new character within 5 minutes because they are likely to be around for 8 hours more of viewing time, so we get more time to see and explore relationships... sometimes.

I also like the fact that it's not set onboard a federation-run vessel of any kind. Although Picard is far from and ordinary person in the Star Trek universe, shifting things away from a bunch of federation stiffs wandering the universe preaching about their prime directive and their utopian, squeaky-clean, sterile future is a nice new perspective. Indeed, Picard doing so and talking about how his federation should be (or was) is in a nice stark and uncomfortable juxtaposition with how things are for many of the other individuals in the universe. To me, that gives a glimpse as to what ordinary life might be like for people not wearing the starfleet uniform and, as I always suspected, it's not as rosy as starfleet would have you believe. I also like that Picard is a bit "persona non grata" with the powers that be (and others too). I also like the fact that on some occasions, that has come as a surprise to him as much as anyone.

The only characters that really bug me are the Romulan brother and sister spies on the cube. I just find them a bit weakly written and very tropey in their sneaky bad-guys deceiving a central character but one maybe not quite as signed up to the cause kind of way. Their story is one part that I would like to see evolving a bit more quickly. We'll see how it pans out though.

Not entirely sure why Picard so unquestioningly accepted a scientist (Dr. Jurati) on to his crew for such a dangerous and secretive mission without knowing anything of any real substance about her though. I'd be surprised if she doesn't turn out to have some ulterior (and possibly harmful) motive. Her effortless inclusion on the crew seems illogical, as Spock might say.

It's by no means the best TV that I have watched, but I am enjoying it.
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

I have to say, I like what I've seen so far (watched all 4 released episodes). They have treated "Star Trek" and the lore that goes with it, with more respect then they have done with Discovery. Sure there are some weak points here and there but in overall, it remains (for me) enjoyable to watch.

Discovery could have better been called "The Michael Burnham Chronicles" and with the Star Trek elements removed, you probably had a better series . . .
Clippy

Post by Clippy »

Like I was saying to someone else - Classic Star Trek gave me hope for mankind

New Star Trek leaves me with this doom and gloom feeling

Show's supposed to be uplifting guys - about discovery and exploration and how humanity evolved

Now it's F Bombs and drama and destiny and BS ffs
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I always found the squeaky-clean near-utopian future of Star Trek too sterile to give me any optimism. I think it would be awful to live like that and the self-righteousness of it gets right up my nose sometimes.

I actually feel more optimistic about the future presented in Picard. It shows that humanity is still around, it's functioning pretty well and has made progress from where we are right now, but it's still human, flawed, sometimes petty, sometimes selfish and it's more believable IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a doom and gloom person. I don't want everything to be a miserable dystopian scenario and I generally like an upbeat ending where the good guys, if they have earned their victory, are allowed to win (and keep their victory too, no last minute "the bad guy is still around" twist, thank you very much) but an unrealistic plastic "perfect" future is almost as bad as the miserable option IMO.
Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Yeah by this stage in Discovery I was pretty pissed off lol but with Picard I'm enjoying it.. few holes to pick here and there but I think it's pretty good.

Episode 4 seen (belated).. WE'RE OFF!:
Spoiler:
Guess I better hurry up and watch Ep 5 now instead of reading comments as that's just asking for spoilers haha.

Blake00

Post by Blake00 »

Yeah.. episode 5.. wow.. If people here disliked it you don't have to worry about me arguing with you on this one guys. As this episode broke me too, or more precisely it broke my enjoyment of the show. I didn't enjoy that at all. I thought maybe if I sleep on it I'd feel better but nope, today I'm even grumpier about it haha. Up until now I've only had little nitpicks and have really enjoyed show and have defended it when people have complained about it "not feeling like star trek" but there was next to nothing Star Trek feeling about Ep 5. Those people who complained about past eps not being star trek are gonna looooooove this one lol. I don't wanna walk away from a Star Trek episode feeling frustrated and miserable. When they played the exciting trailer for the next ep and all the cool Borg stuff at the end I didn't even give s***. I was like.. whatever. They're gonna have to work hard in the next few eps to undo the damage that one just did. I can only hope that they had to go that dark and callous to setup the audience to be brought back to the light and happy ending lol. But I can't help but think that if it turned me off that badly then all those people out there who's really not been that into the new show and were barely holding on will probably be like "stuff this!" and be done with it after seeing that ep lol.
Spoiler:
Urgh.. end of rant. Breath Daniel.. Just breath... lol

Like I said.. they're gonna need to work hard to undo the damage this episode did. I think I'd rather rewatch most of the episodes in discovery season 1 than ever watch that episode again lol.

Everywhere I go so far I've seem pretty horrified responses to ep5. I've seen a couple of dudes say they loved ep5 though, I was like WAAAT lol.
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I haven't seen the episode yet but pretty much everything you mentioned exemplifies why I am enjoying Picard.

I've always felt that the future shown in Trek was too perfect and too plastic; soulless. Showing people actually being fallible, failing, suffering and their experiences having real, personal consequences for them - and society - makes the Picard version of the Trek future much more believable. I always thought that Star Trek relied too much of an unrealistic shift in basic human nature over the next 200-ish years versus the tens of thousands up to this point.

I can see why die-hard Trek fans don't like it and I can even accept that the number of alcoholic/PTSD/suffering people is bordering on being a bit too much (is no one happy in the future?) but I like it.

And, honestly, the show is deliberately delving into the underbelly a bit. Picard isn't boldly going in a huge, shiny Enterprise with the might of the uniformal federation behind him, bolstered by the moral high-handedness of the federation code. He's effectively gone rogue and has assembled a rag-tag crew of people who are seeking out people who have, essentially, lost under the current regime. Whereas, at least on the face of it, society as a whole is still squeaky clean. The various places Picard visited on Earth were light, clean, airy and pleasant for the most part. For your average Earth citizen, the world probably isn't that different to what it was in earlier Star Treks. It's only if you fall foul of that system that the cracks start to appear - and I've always felt that would probably be the case; we just never really got to see it. So, for me, this gives some balance. It's like the previous iterations always showed the government propaganda, and now we're getting to see a bit more of the "warts and all" picture.

Also, I'll be perfectly honest, I found Icheb and those other Borg children annoying and cringey in an I'm almost embaressed to be watching this episode Wesley Crusher kind of way (worse in some ways) so I'm looking forward to seeing what you describe happening to him. :twisted:
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I can only echo what Blake00 said. This episode was the thing that ended my interest in this show. Before that I sort of liked the idea of painting the Star Trek universe in a different way, because I don't think you can make a 80-90's show in 2020 without it feeling extremely dated and out of time. Picard goes out in the universe again and sees the universe from a civilian's point of view - I liked that angle.

But now after this episode it is clear it's JJ Abrams horrible kind of show that just keeps throwing lame back-references and a story line that creates nothing interesting new of its own. Even the shock effect at the end is just a sad Game of Thrones wannabe gimmick. With that ending they wasted half the season on what? Chasing down a name that people only connect to anything at all because they watched an entirely different show decades earlier. A show should be able to stand on its own without having watched earlier shows first and this one clearly can not.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

dpJudas wrote:A show should be able to stand on its own without having watched earlier shows first and this one clearly can not.
I disagree with that. I am watching the show with my daughter. She doesn't know any Star Trek characters or lore in any real depth. With the exception of Data and vaguely recognising 7 of 9, she hasn't been familiar with any of the characters who are call backs to previous Star Trek presentations. She didn't really even know who the Borg or the Romulans are. However, this has not hampered her ability to watch and understand the show and all of the important call-back characters have had enough back story explained to put them in good enough context for watching and understanding Picard.

As with Star Wars, I feel that many die hard fans are too wrapped up in their own sense of entitlement of what they see should be happening and if it doesn't match up with what they are being presented with, the show/film is the "worst ever" and "[insert director/show runner name here] ruined [or worse] my childhood".

Picard can and does work well as a stand-alone presentation and, despite the many references and Easter eggs in every episode, little or no prior knowledge is required to "get" Picard.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

I'm not really a super Star Trek fan. I didn't like Star Trek Voyager at all, I didn't know who 7 of 9 was before seeing this show, and I think the Borg in itself is a pretty boring idea that only entertained me when I first encountered them in the first few ST:TNG episodes they appeared in.

If anything, I think your daughter actually has an advantage in the sense that she doesn't know what the Borg or the Romulans were. Because the way they are pictured in this version seem to be nothing remotely to what they were back then. And that in itself is fine - I can live with the Romulans being different than their ST:TNG stereotypes.

My complaint is mostly that if you're going to write a new story then use new names and ideas. Don't call the professor Maddox, don't show me Data (even tho he's silly fat in this version, haha), and for the love of God, don't make a ship computer doctor! If you must include old characters like that you have to reintroduce them in your new show in their new form. If you remove all the references to older shows the story of the last two episodes basically boil down to: "old retired admiral picks up old friend with weird gadgets in her face, the old friend lies to the retired admiral and kills a crime boss that you also know nothing about. Then girlfriend of old scientist kills the old scientist, again with nothing further than they were lovers once". That's not quality storytelling to me.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Whereas I'm quite OK with the idea that the years have taken their toll on these various people and that they have become different due to the passing of time and the events that befell them along the way. None of us are like we were 20 or so years ago and very few of us will have experienced situations as traumatic as the ones that the various characters are meant to have been through.

As for Dr. Agnes Jurati and the nature of her relationship with Maddox, I've been suspecting something since the first moment that we met her.
Earlier in this thread Enjay wrote:I'd be surprised if she doesn't turn out to have some ulterior (and possibly harmful) motive.
and while I didn't specifically mention Maddox there, I always thought that there was some connection with him that would be part of whatever unfolded.

Return to “Off-Topic”