Raze officially revealed!

News about ZDoom, its child ports, or any closely related projects.
[ZDoom Home] [Documentation (Wiki)] [Official News] [Downloads] [Discord]
[🔎 Google This Site]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Machine-Reaper

Re: Raze officially revealed!

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Graf Zahl wrote:Since the base here is NBlood, if they don't there would be a bug.

But what's so weird about the controls? Aside from using a native Windows backend instead of SDL, they are mostly unchanged in Raze.
I really don't know but it feels to me like Blood has more...smooth or delayed controls compared to Doom which are more sharper and in-control.

since you need to use Auto-aim a lot in Blood and its very dependent on it I felt like I was playing the game a lot more smoother then usual and when I got back to Doom I felt the control was very sharp and responsive.

and Raze feels exactly like that but it does borrow the Auto-aim mechanic exactly as it is from Blood but now I can play the game without out it completely since the control are more Doom like...sharper and faster

maybe its possible due to the graphics/renderer making you feel like that as well?

in either case I don't wana return to NBlood or GDX, its very very hard to play with them and Fresh Supply has a incomplete save system which completely ruins my experience.
(oddly enough Fresh Supply has better feeling controls then both NBlood and GDX)
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

It's probably just because the engines work differently, that's why you perceive Raze's controls as being slightly less responsive/raw than GZDoom.

I notice a slight difference too, but it's so minor it never affects me.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

lowskill. wrote:It's probably just because the engines work differently, that's why you perceive Raze's controls as being slightly less responsive/raw than GZDoom.

I notice a slight difference too, but it's so minor it never affects me.

uhh, you took my explanation in the opposite meaning,

Vanilla/Raw Blood has less responsive and mushy controls, which are present in NBlood and GDX.

Raze's controls are sharper and responsive like Doom/GZDoom

so obviously its better.

(Fresh Supply also has better controls but I haven't played it much to tell if its as good as Raze)
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Oh snap, I got it backwards somehow, oops.

Must be tired again I guess... My experience with NBlood is actually the opposite, for me NBlood and EDuke32 feel super raw without VSync.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

lowskill. wrote:Oh snap, I got it backwards somehow, oops.

Must be tired again I guess... My experience with NBlood is actually the opposite, for me NBlood and EDuke32 feel super raw without VSync.
well...oddly enough for PURE RAW players like Civie11 from YT NBlood/EDuke is perfect cause they want to feel all the hardship players used to have playing these games when they were released.

so for people that love stuff in its original form as close as possible, it works out greatly, but for modern or adaptive players such as myself, I would prefer source ports like Raze.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Oh don't get me wrong, I prefer Raze too ;) , but I like switching between them every now and then, and I still use them for investigations.
Tea Monster

Post by Tea Monster »

Any idea when we could see any model support? Also, is there any plans to upgrade from MD3 to something more modern, such as FBX?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Model support will be there when I find the bug. It must be some minor oversight.
FBX: Probably not. This here is a lot more complex than GZDoom but even there MD3 and comparable formats are the limit, even though Doom is a lot better structured than the Build games.
AntonZab

Post by AntonZab »

Hello. Make support for witchaven 1 and 2 games. These games are also on the build engine.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, they are, but unlike the other ones there is no ready-to-use source - the only thing that exists is the original DOS source which has extremely poor support for better hardware than what was available when the games were made. Meaning, they require a lot more work to get ported. Wanna help? ;)
AntonZab

Post by AntonZab »

Sorry. But I can not. :( .
It would be great
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

AntonZab wrote:Sorry. But I can not. :( .
It would be great
Sure you can. And you're right, it would be great if you did!
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

AntonZab wrote:Hello. Make support for witchaven 1 and 2 games. These games are also on the build engine.
Kinsie wrote:Where's Witchaven and Tekwar?
In hell, where they belong. No, but seriously, the source code releases for those games are legally troublesome on account of being uploaded by a former programmer without any approval from the (long-defunct) rights holder or proper code license, so we can't really touch it. Sorry. BuildGDX is working on those games, you should totally check it out if you're not allergic to Java. (You might be! I wouldn't blame you.)
Borg

Post by Borg »

What compiler is used in this project?
Can I assume its all the same as for GZDoom?
I guess my old Mingw GCC 3.4 wont cut anymore?
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Borg wrote:What compiler is used in this project?
Can I assume its all the same as for GZDoom?
I guess my old Mingw GCC 3.4 wont cut anymore?
MSVC, just like GZDoom. Why would you want to use a ~13 year old compiler?

Return to “ZDoom (and related) News”