SIGIL

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
DovahClown

SIGIL

Post by DovahClown »

What's everyone's opinion, should SIGIL be played with the MIDI soundtrack first or the Buckethead soundtrack?
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: SIGIL

Post by Kinsie »

Which one strikes your fancy more?
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

I wrote a whole wall of text but due to time out the forum got me logged off, so in short I would prefer midi over buckethead because bh sounds like no music to me. The midi version has more integrity, so let it be looped but it would be one idea that fits to the levels rather than pieces of "creativity" glued up together into a mess.

In general I'm not a fan of Buckethead but I think he sounded way better when teamed up with real musicians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op49INVC8kc

Bet if community performs this midi track it will sound much better than what Buckethead came up with. Maybe it's just like Buckethead can't compose for games.

Edit: I bought it once and disappointed a lot.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by MFG38 »

Darkcrafter wrote:Maybe it's just like Buckethead can't compose for games.
You do realize that the Buckethead soundtrack is a selection of pre-existing Buckethead tracks picked by Romero, right? Buckethead didn't compose any original music for SIGIL.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Your opinion is not absolute.
MFG38 wrote:
You do realize that the Buckethead soundtrack is a selection of pre-existing Buckethead tracks picked by Romero, right? Buckethead didn't compose any original music for SIGIL.
He did make one new song, ''Romero One Mind Any Weapon.''

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buckethead/com ... ck_is_out/
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Darkcrafter »

MFG38 wrote:
hm.. I didn't know that. Sure my opinion is not absolute, but I definitely don't like it.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I'd say go with midi. The audience of AGDQ have objectively made it the winner ;)
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sinisterseed »

+1 for MIDI from me as well.

I mean, I don't think Buckethead is bad but I really don't think it goes very well with the oppressive atmosphere in many maps, it's too action oriented for that. And I agree too, some parts of various songs feel as if they've been glued together from various pieces, the transitions are pretty bad in places. "Romero One Mind Any Weapon" is probably the best example of this, no smooth transitions to be found anywhere.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The MIDI soundtrack is free and comes with SIGIL; the Buckethead soundtrack must be bought separately. So MIDI for me.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Jimmy wins by default.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I like Jimmy's midi's more, when playing Sigil, to be honest. It feels more fitting.

That's not to say the Buckethead tracks are bad - it's more that I feel the midi's blend with the atmosphere better.
DovahClown

Post by DovahClown »

Rachael wrote:I like Jimmy's midi's more, when playing Sigil, to be honest. It feels more fitting.

That's not to say the Buckethead tracks are bad - it's more that I feel the midi's blend with the atmosphere better.
So many people say the midi, So I will go with the midi for my first play through. Atmosphere is important in games and atmosphere can affect how much you enjoy or don't enjoy a game.
Apprentice

Post by Apprentice »

I like them both but the thing I have with the Buckethead soundtrack is, that except for one track, none of it are especially made for Sigil. They were already available and John Romero simply has taken a licence to use those eight tracks. If Buckethead would have made entire new tracks for Sigil, just as NIN did for the original Quake, then I say you would have a more interesting Sigil soundtrack . . .
42_the_Gamer
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by 42_the_Gamer »

Definite the MIDI version. Old video game soundtracks age like wine.
Kazudra

Post by Kazudra »

To me, it really depends if you want MP3 music or MIDI music. There really isn't a bad option.

Return to “Off-Topic”