Not possible to achieve 100% kills in NOVA II MAP32

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Player701

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Not possible to achieve 100% kills in NOVA II MAP32

Post by Player701 »

The exit switch on MAP32 of NOVA II triggers a crushing floor that crushes some monsters whose death eventually ends the level via A_BrainDie. However, the exact events caused by pressing the switch differ in GZDoom and PrBoom-Plus:
  • In GZDoom, the crushers kill the boss brain (thing 3734) and a custom DEHACKED monster (thing 3725) residing within sector 5007. However, two similar setups with custom monsters (thing 176 within sector 1477 and thing 143 within sector 5005) are not affected, even though the crushers activate there too. It seems that the exploding barrels in these sectors do not explode for some weird reason.
  • In PrBoom-Plus, the reverse happens: both thing 176 and thing 143 are killed, but neither the boss brain nor the custom monster (thing 3725) within sector 5007 are affected due to the barrels not exploding.
While both ports prevent 100% kills as a result, I wish this could be fixed in GZDoom so that all the barrels explode and both thing 176 and thing 143 get killed, so that 100% kills becomes possible.

Save files from both GZDoom and PrBoom-Plus are attached. Please do note that in GZDoom the switch increases the kill counter by an extra 4 points (totaling 5) because the switch also crushes 4 lost souls, which are not counted towards the total kills percentage in PrBoom-Plus.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to isolate the issue in a simple test map. In all my attempts, everything seemed to work fine - even when I took the original map and removed everything from it except the affected areas.

Tested in GZDoom 4.3.3 and g4.4pre-39-g2bde2d826.
Attachments
prboom-plus-savegame2.7z
(199.93 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
save19.7z
(186.2 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Not possible to achieve 100% kills in NOVA II MAP32

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm not going to mess around witch such volatile code for a map that obviously has never been properly tested. My suspicion is that the overlapping barrels can end up blocking the crusher.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

I think the crushers do activate, it's just that not all of the barrels get crushed for some reason. I also thought this could be fixed with a compatibility setting, so as not to "mess around" with volatile code. However, since even PrBoom-Plus does not work 100% correctly, I guess it might not be feasible after all.
Gez

Post by Gez »

It may be simpler to just remove the monsters that don't get killed.
Player701

Post by Player701 »

Hmm. Yeah, sounds good enough to me. Unfortunately, I don't feel well at the moment, so can't make a PR right now. Maybe next week, unless somebody manages to make one before then.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”