[0.4.1] [SW] Darkwoods tank can break multiple times

Moderator: Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: [0.4.1] [SW] Darkwoods tank can break multiple times

Post by Graf Zahl »

What map is this and how can I get to the tank?
It'd really be more helpful if you just linked to the relevant data when you post a report. Searching for this stuff really costs me time I cannot use to fix bugs. :(
Manuel-K

Post by Manuel-K »

The following line does the damage that destroys the tank if you shoot anywhere: https://github.com/coelckers/Raze/blob/ ... .cpp#L6917

It's in level 4 of the full sw campaing after the third key door. The save file is too big to attach to a post.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:What map is this and how can I get to the tank?
It'd really be more helpful if you just linked to the relevant data when you post a report. Searching for this stuff really costs me time I cannot use to fix bugs. :(
But it's literally in the title...

This is on MAP04 of the base game, "Darkwoods of the Serpent" (levelwarp 4 in console). I actually had a save right before jumping in the tank for this purpose, but I accidentally deteled it when I did some clean up in my directory... damn.

You just keep going, once you go through the yellow and red doors through the forest you enter the main area with the tank, can't miss it. An easy noclip through the map should do it - because I couldn't upload the save in time...
Last edited by sinisterseed on Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gammli

Post by Gammli »

Graf Zahl wrote:What map is this and how can I get to the tank?
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... tank.dsave

The attachment filesize limit seems awfully low.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Manuel-K wrote:The following line does the damage that destroys the tank if you shoot anywhere: https://github.com/coelckers/Raze/blob/ ... .cpp#L6917

It's in level 4 of the full sw campaing after the third key door. The save file is too big to attach to a post.
Now a second immediate issue regarding this bug - does that code affect all repairable armed machines in the game?

Because obviously, there are more than one such vehicle in the game, and fixing only one critical instance is not going to change a lot of things. Yes, I did read the part of your post where you described what these vehicles really are, but...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Now what? That block of code is exactly the same for Raze, SWP and SWR. SopDamage is the same and SopCheckKill also. I simply cannot see what's different here so I rather suspect a difference in the general movement logic being at fault. Maybe that extensive overhaul for EDuke last year?
Gotta have to test with the old collision code instead.
Manuel-K

Post by Manuel-K »

Graf Zahl wrote:Now what? That block of code is exactly the same for Raze, SWP and SWR. SopDamage is the same and SopCheckKill also. I simply cannot see what's different here so I rather suspect a difference in the general movement logic being at fault. Maybe that extensive overhaul for EDuke last year?
Gotta have to test with the old collision code instead.
I haven't found anything suspicious as well, although I only compared Raze and Redux. I don't have a debugging environment for Redux set up at the moment…

The new collision code seems a likely culprit. The code block that is triggered suggests that a collision between the shell and the sopj was detected.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not a collision but an explosion. The damage is distance dependent. But from the looks of it it's indeed the collision code. After changing it I only damage the tank when shooting directly into the ground - which is to be expected.

I'll do a new test release ASAP and let you have fun with it.
Manuel-K

Post by Manuel-K »

I haven't managed to blow up the tank with the latest commit.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

So quick? I am just uploading the new release.
But thanks for confirming, neither did I, except when I deliberately shot the ground.
Manuel-K

Post by Manuel-K »

Graf Zahl wrote:So quick? I am just uploading the new release.
But thanks for confirming, neither did I, except when I deliberately shot the ground.
Well, it's only on changed file, so the recompile was very quick. ;-)
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Well damn, that sure was quick as hell lol.

Now all that remains is checking the armed vehicle in the maps where they're present... oh, boy... *goes insane*
Last edited by sinisterseed on Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

If there are other issues with that new collision code, they are all gone now. I did the same as Blood and RedNukem - unconditionally go back to the old code. It's abundantly clear that the new code was never seriously stress tested for compatibility, considering how many problems it has caused - not only here. I'd rather steer clear of such code as much as possible.

So far I haven't set up RedNukem to allow playing Duke and NAM - I think that's an oversight I am going to correct now.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Well, what else can you expect from an engine that has repeatedly borked mods with no interest in keeping them compatible... And it isn't even the fact that it caused issues, that happens, but WHAT kind of issues - this bug right here was supremely stupid.. it almost reminds me of Bethesda games bugs...

I sure hope the turrets/tanks/armed vehicles are fixed now, I'm gonna test some maps tomorrow to see if there's any other going funky but there'd better not be...

Return to “Closed Bugs [Raze]”