MODINFO, or a PK3 lump to define some stuff about a mod

Moderator: Raze Developers

Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

MODINFO, or a PK3 lump to define some stuff about a mod

Post by Kinsie »

Simply put, a way to define certain defaults for mods so that they can load in an easier and more accumulative manner more like what we're used to in GZDoom, ripping off the GameInfo section of GZDoom's MAPINFO. Here's a quick and dirty example I threw together of what one could look like.

Code: Select all

ModInfo
{
	Game = "Duke3D"						// For defining a specific game for this mod, to prevent it being loaded with the wrong game
	CoreCon = "MODGAME.CON" 			// For loading instead of GAME.CON
	AddCon = "COOLUTIL.CON" 			// For additional CONs to be loaded alongside existing ones.
	AddDef = "widescreen_sprites.def"	// For adding an additional graphics def file without overriding or overwriting the main game def.
	BloodINI = "MYMAPS.INI"			// For defining an INI file to load instead of BLOOD.INI
}
I'm sure this proposal's missing a ton of things.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: MODINFO, or a PK3 lump to define some stuff about a mod

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, we absolutely need this.

Post by Guest »

Please don't forget about stand-alone content. As of now I am only aware of a few Duke TCs that run without the base game DUKE3D.GRP. I would like to see an option to load Total Conversions without any of the original content being loaded. It still would need a flag to set the base game code to run, not that any of the other build games have such TCs.

Also it's my first post on these forums, so, hi! I really like what I've seen/read about Raze!
Photonic

Post by Photonic »

Hi, it's my first post on these forums, I really like Raze!

I just wanted to add that there are a few Duke TCs that would fall into this discussion that may need to be handled differently because they don't depend on the base game data being present. Duke3D.grp can actually interfere with loading a few stand alone EDuke32 projects. I'm hoping you keep in mind a way to load custom games without any commercial game data.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sure. What does work is to distribute the game with a .grpinfo file and then point the game search to that directory - Ion Fury was set up this way - but there surely should also be a way to integrate such info in the game file itself.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Most of what was suggested is now part of GAMEINFO.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [Raze]”