[0.4.0] Game autodetection does not work

Moderator: Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Nash

[0.4.0] Game autodetection does not work

Post by Nash »

I am creating a report here so that this can be tracked, because this was previously discussed in a noisy thread that was bound to get lost or forgotten.

Game autodetect doesn't seem to pick up any of my GOG or Steam installs of the base games.
mjr4077au
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [0.4.0] Game autodetection does not work

Post by mjr4077au »

I'm going to attempt to debug this tonight and see if I can work out what's happening. I have the games on Steam and both Steam and GOG games are picked up by reg-detect methods.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

I've ran a debugger against raze, debugging symbols loaded etc. Google Drive folder with compressed dump file and screenshot of output from Visual Studio debugger: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yH12d ... uemPOKPyHe

There's a number of warnings from searchpaths.cpp that can be seen which I'm unsure if they have an impact. The game determines whether there's group files based on the count of the output from GrpScan(). These two warnings occur during that function in searchpaths.cpp:

Code: Select all

Warning	C26451	Arithmetic overflow: Using operator '+' on a 4 byte value and then casting the result to a 8 byte value. Cast the value to the wider type before calling operator '+' to avoid overflow (io.2).	raze	D:\USER REDIRECTED FOLDERS\MJR40\DOCUMENTS\REPOS\RAZE\SOURCE\COMMON\SEARCHPATHS.CPP	767	
Warning	C26451	Arithmetic overflow: Using operator '+' on a 4 byte value and then casting the result to a 8 byte value. Cast the value to the wider type before calling operator '+' to avoid overflow (io.2).	raze	D:\USER REDIRECTED FOLDERS\MJR40\DOCUMENTS\REPOS\RAZE\SOURCE\COMMON\SEARCHPATHS.CPP	768	
Lastly, I found that my copy of Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition is not defined in the registry path array. It's Steam App 225140. I can do a pull request for that but I can't validate that it's working until the issues with GrpScan() are resolved.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Should be fixed, although I could only verify the paths for GOG, but not Steam.
I still had one leftover path in my registry which I could use to test this, but for Steam there is nothing I can use for checking.
So if someone could manually check with RegEdit if the provided paths are correct I'd appreciate it.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

I’ll compile this shortly and test. The paths are correct though. Apologies that I wasn’t of any real help in the end.

Post by Guest »

I just tested it, and it worked except for finding my copy of Redneck Rampage from GOG. The "GOG.com\\GOGREDNECKRAMPAGE" key didn't exist, but it would have to be "GOG.com\\Games\\1207658674" for Redneck Rampage Collection from GOG.com.
Manuel-K

Post by Manuel-K »

Is there any difference in registry keys if the game was installed via Galaxy or the standalone installers? The “new” standalone installers were supposedly changed to match the way Galaxy handles the files, but since inconsistency is GOG's second name, it might be worth checking.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

So they did two different installs? The one which left behind the keys in my registry used GOGREDNECKRAMPAGE.
So, for this other key, where does it point? Are the two games, RR and RRRA in subdirectories or are there keys that can be queried to find them? You'll have to tell me because you are the one having this version.
dennisjjunk

Post by dennisjjunk »

I installed the game via GOG Galaxy (v1.2). Maybe the GOGREDNECKRAMPAGE key is offline installer only. As far as where the other key points, it points to where Redneck Rampage and Suckin' Grits is, with RRRA in a 'again' folder within.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Confirming the latest git master performs Steam lookups as expected.
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Actually, there are some duplicates as per the attached.

Loading either of the duplicates is loading the same data according to the log. Would it be an option to add some extra lines to the console as it builds the game list to try and see what's happening there? The game is only defined once in the datatable of registry keys.
Attachments
error.png
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

mjr4077au wrote:Actually, there are some duplicates as per the attached.

Loading either of the duplicates is loading the same data according to the log. Would it be an option to add some extra lines to the console as it builds the game list to try and see what's happening there? The game is only defined once in the datatable of registry keys.
This is because it tries to autodetect the add-ons from the Duke main directory but you also got a path set to the files themselves. So it detects them in two different ways through two different lookup records. Remove the search paths to the add-ons and all should be fine again.

That leaves the RR issue. What I need there is a bit more info on the unhandled case mentioned above. If someone has the version with the 1207658674 key, what I need is two things:

1) Does this point to RR only or to a common directory of RR and RRRA? If the former, is there a secondary key for RRRA? If the latter, how does the path need to be expanded to find the games?
mjr4077au

Post by mjr4077au »

Graf Zahl wrote:This is because it tries to autodetect the add-ons from the Duke main directory but you also got a path set to the files themselves. So it detects them in two different ways through two different lookup records. Remove the search paths to the add-ons and all should be fine again.
This happens with a fresh config file out of the box. This is what I have, and if I drop $STEAM, nothing gets found.

Code: Select all

# This file was generated by Raze <unknown version>
# These are the directories to automatically search for game data.
# Each directory should be on a separate line, preceded by Path=
[GameSearch.Directories]
Path=.
Path=./*
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=$PROGDIR/*
Path=$STEAM

# These are the directories to search for add-ons added with the -file
# command line parameter, if they cannot be found with the path
# as-is. Layout is the same as for GameSearch.Directories
[FileSearch.Directories]
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=$GAMEDIR
Nash

Post by Nash »

Autodetection seems to be somewhat working for me with 0.4.1. It successfully detected my Steam installs - Duke World Tour, Shadow Warrior Classic and Ion Fury. It however failed to detected my GOG installs. I have Duke Atomic and Blood installed under D:/Games/GOG Games.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

You'll have to check your registry. Apparently GOG changed their naming scheme and those new names are not on the list yet.

Return to “Closed Bugs [Raze]”