Shades of Doom v4.1 (07-09-23)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: Shades of Doom v3.0 - Off the chart (02/02/20)

Post by eharper256 »

Oh nice! My favourite monster mod got a cool upgrade!
Neccronixis

Post by Neccronixis »

This mod freezes when viewing the roster of monsters. Using the latest GZdoom version 4.3.3 and the latest svn build
DoomSoul

Post by DoomSoul »

Would it be possible to select several monsters of the same class?
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

Hell yeah, glad to see you're still working on this! I just gave it a spin with Walpurgis on Doom II The Dark World, and I gotta say, this is some good shit. I did notice that the mod crashes when viewing a monster in the roster section and pressing one of the arrow keys. That was the only actual problem I noticed, but it would be kinda cool if you could select multiple variants of the same monster. However, I can totally see why that would be a pain in the ass to do, so take that suggestion with a grain of salt. Great job, man! This update was well worth the wait
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

First of all, thanks for all the kinds words! Sure is great to see that people still use Shades of Doom.
Also, thanks for testing this new release out. It really helps a lot, since the project has grown quite a lot since I first startet.
Neccronixis wrote:This mod freezes when viewing the roster of monsters. Using the latest GZdoom version 4.3.3 and the latest svn build
Whoah wrote:I did notice that the mod crashes when viewing a monster in the roster section and pressing one of the arrow keys.
That's weird. Haven't run into that issue before. I'll see what I can do.
DoomSoul wrote:Would it be possible to select several monsters of the same class?
Whoah wrote:...it would be kinda cool if you could select multiple variants of the same monster.
That would be a cool feature indeed, but I'm not sure how to implement it. It's on the "things-to-look-into" list now.
d34d

Post by d34d »

Love the mod but I can't get it to work with Colorful Hell + Champions + Legendoom. If it's possible, would it be a load issue problem?
BradmanX
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by BradmanX »

d34d wrote:Love the mod but I can't get it to work with Colorful Hell + Champions + Legendoom. If it's possible, would it be a load issue problem?
Colorful Hell and Shades of Doom are both monster randomizers, they won't work together.
d34d

Post by d34d »

Silly me, thanks for the reply
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

d34d wrote:Love the mod but I can't get it to work with Colorful Hell + Champions + Legendoom. If it's possible, would it be a load issue problem?
As BradmanX said, Shades of Doom will not work with most other monster randomizers. It should work with Legendoom + Champions though. I'm pretty sure I've tested that combo.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Dare you to test it out with Guncaster.
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

AvzinElkein wrote:Dare you to test it out with Guncaster.
Have you tried using this?
TheOneFreeMan

Post by TheOneFreeMan »

Hello! I've tried your mod and find it to be excellent. I was wondering if there is/will be any way to remove certain monsters from the random spawner. I love a lot of the new enemies, but I find some of them don't really fit in with the look and feel and would like an option to pick and choose exactly which enemies i'm going up against.

I'm aware you can choose the any enemy preset to either A: A certain enemy, or B: a random selection, but it would be nice to have complete control over which enemies spawn.

Edit: If that wouldn't be possible, would it be possible to implement a way to remove certain enemy types from the random spawning pool?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

TheOneFreeMan wrote:Hello! I've tried your mod and find it to be excellent.
Thanks! :)
TheOneFreeMan wrote:I was wondering if there is/will be any way to remove certain monsters from the random spawner. I love a lot of the new enemies, but I find some of them don't really fit in with the look and feel and would like an option to pick and choose exactly which enemies i'm going up against.

I'm aware you can choose the any enemy preset to either A: A certain enemy, or B: a random selection, but it would be nice to have complete control over which enemies spawn.
This has been requested many times, but I sadly can't seem to find a way of implementing it in the mod. I wan't it to be there, I just don't know how to code it.
TheOneFreeMan wrote:If that wouldn't be possible, would it be possible to implement a way to remove certain enemy types from the random spawning pool?
This is actually quite easy to change by yourself. Open the mod in Slade 3, navigate to Decorate -> ChaosSpawners.txt and simply comment out or delete the monsters from the spawners. Here's an example:
Spoiler:
For Barons, Arachnotrons, Mancubi, Masterminds and Cybers it's a bit more difficult though. You would have to navigate to ZScript -> Shades -> Replacers.txt, remove the monster from the corrosponding array and subtract 1 from the random(0, XX) thing. (1 for each monster removed. Here's an example:
Spoiler:
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Did you try playing it with Guncaster?
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Post by Cyanide »

AvzinElkein wrote:Did you try playing it with Guncaster?
I tested it with this a while ago. Dunno if it still works, but it did back then. Guncaster is not my cup of tea (no disrespect), so I haven't done any testing since then.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”