Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Tormentor667

Re: Vanilla Essence 4.3: 320x200p support! More bugfixes.

Post by Tormentor667 »

Tormentor667 wrote:What does this exactly do?
Forgot about it - it's fun :)
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

Now that we have something that approximates "Vintage DOS Doom", there will be the occasional complete n00b who will ask some questions regarding performance. Namely: now that everything looks like pixellated shi-uh, I mean Goodness... does this mean that the other stuff that GZDoom does will not be taxing graphics cards or CPUs? I mean, I put this toggle on the F5 key and insist that it works like the old days when your CPU started bogging down to nothing.

Looks mighty cool, though, and very handy. I'll give it that. I prefer my tech to look ancient yet flow like butter, you know.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

This may give some performance improvements as it disables many graphical effects by default. However, the rendering backend used by GZDoom still has minimum requirements, and the underlying game simulation is still far more complex than vanilla Doom. Personally I would consider this retro look just that: A look.

8-)
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

For anyone still trying to get Status Bar to look right in 4:3, just set Status Bar Scale to "Scale to Fullscreen". That should be one of the options in VE in my opinion.

Also "Auto" as one of the options for HRTF in VE would be appreciated.
Last edited by Agitatio on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

You know, if we never evolved Doom Source Ports to include different or brighter forms of lighting, then we'd never have those really big and sprawling maps because you CAN'T SEE ANYTHING IN 320x200p! Weird way to see what graphical fidelity does to a game if "improved" over time.
guitardz
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by guitardz »

Is there any option to for this to auto activate on startup so I don't have to remember to hit my toggle key?
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

Forget that. Is there a way to prevent Vanilla Essence from switching to Traditional Doom Automap colors and retaining the Custom ones?

EDIT: Never mind--found it. However, it says "Map Colour Set" as opposed to "Automap Colour Set" and looks small enough to overlook. I imagined it wasn't a feature, even though the program switched the colors to Traditional Doom.

I still like this mod. The trouble is that nothing modern takes the resolution into account. While this makes Brutal Doom look pretty good overall, the more ambitious maps operate on a level of visual fidelity that's more than, "Where's my glasses?" I doubt that any serious speed-runner would impose Vanilla Essence's baseline restriction upon their runs.
ozy

Post by ozy »

This mod is great! Thanks for making it.

Is there a way to automatically enable the settings without pressing a hotkey? Personally I would prefer to default to vanilla settings and turn it off as needed.
Phobos867

Post by Phobos867 »

Great mod! I love how customizable it is
CykaBear
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by CykaBear »

hi i'm having problems with the mod it doesn't look like the images are all shiny and there are no low resolution textures
sdaa

Post by sdaa »

Rocket Launcher visual bug in Struggle: Antaresian Legacy with this mod.
Hydra Spectre
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Hydra Spectre »

With Intel "HD" Graphics, with Vanilla Essence On, it still renders in whatever resolution LZDoom is set at (in my case, 720x540p) and it still isn't pixellated.
I'm not sure if this is a problem with Intel Integrated Graphics or with the OpenGL renderer in LZDoom.
And another problem is that the lighting is much brighter than playing DOOM with DOSBox.
I hope someone can send me an older version of GZDoom which supports DirectX 9 or 10.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Hydra Spectre wrote:or with the OpenGL renderer in LZDoom.
It's this.

Or rather to be more specific - your hardware's lack of support for the needed features. If you're stuck using LZDoom, then chances are your hardware is so old that it doesn't support the shaders that this uses - and is actually part of the reason why support for that hardware was dropped in the first place - these features have become essential to GZDoom functioning properly.
zenlikecreature

Post by zenlikecreature »

I love Vanilla Essence... is there any chance for 320x200 automap?
Donowa

Post by Donowa »

Why is this in Gameplay mods? This should go in Shaders

Return to “Gameplay Mods”