[4.3.1] Torch in Heretic might be Broken

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[4.3.1] Torch in Heretic might be Broken

Post by sinisterseed »

So I upgraded last night to 4.3.1 and while playing Hymn ( https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... Ports/hymn ) I noticed that the torch got borked in the recent update. This is how it made some parts of E1M4 look like: https://i.imgur.com/5yTWjmN.png I'm using the Enhanced Night Vision option in the screenshot.

I've also noticed that decals seem to render incorrectly, they can be seen through walls: https://i.imgur.com/4EEY3To.png

But, now comes the odd part. I tried using the torch again, both the original and the enhanced version on the next map... and it worked fine. When I returned to E1M4 things rendered correctly now. I have no idea what to make of this, or how to reproduce, apart from, I don't know... download the last stable x64 Win build of 4.3.1, leave the default (enhanced) version on, jump straight into the game, and use a torch.
Jimmy

Re: [4.3.1] Torch in Heretic might be Broken

Post by Jimmy »

Confirmed.

Both the torch and the infrared seem to suffer this, but I don't think it's connected to the enhanced night vision mode, as it seems to happen regardless of whether that's on or off.

Different levels yield slightly different results, but the main takeaway is that walls are not getting properly affected by the powerups. In some cases they're being darkened, or made full dark. In maps like Doom 2 MAP01 and MAP31, it's not really noticeable, but in larger, darker areas, it becomes extremely prevalent.

Heretic's E1M1 seems to suffer the most with the walls going totally black.
Heretic E1M2, M3, etc. seem to keep the walls dark (or darken them, even) while only the flats become fullbright.
Doom 2 seems okay until you use the infrared in MAP02.

sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Holy pile of dynamite, I had no idea it was this bad.

I haven't actually revisited this issue since, but I ran into case #2 as well shortly after posting this, but didn't realize it was not the intended behavior. I wonder what exactly triggers this broken behavior considering that using the torch a couple of times eventually causes it to render things correctly.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Pushed a fix for this. Given how broken the code was I'm surprised I didn't notice it while playing various maps. Then again, I always avoid the light goggles because they just make the graphics ugly. :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think another version is in order, so Sunday will be 4.3.3 day.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Graf Zahl wrote:I think another version is in order, so Sunday will be 4.3.3 day.
Heh, funny you said that, I was just about to ask if we can see a new point release since this issue kind of warrants another.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”