Beautiful Doom 7.1.6 (June 2nd, 2021)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Squirb

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build 7d9dbf8 (June 11, 2019)

Post by Squirb »

One minor issue I've come across when using the newest version of Beautiful Doom with mods such as Zagemod and Pandemonia:

When Imps throw a fireball, they enter a death animation even though they haven't been damaged/killed. Using only Beautiful Doom doesn't cause the imps to do the death fireball dance. With the mods, disabling the Imp replacement state within the options sorts this out.
acridAxid

Post by acridAxid »

BD's Lost Soul death animations revert to vanilla mid-way through.

I'm also seeing stuttering at the beginning moments of each level, even before killing an enemy, so there shouldn't be any gibs to speak of. This is on a Ryzen 7 2700 with a GeForce 970 with no other mods loaded.
AL-97

Post by AL-97 »

Squirb wrote:One minor issue I've come across when using the newest version of Beautiful Doom with mods such as Zagemod and Pandemonia:

When Imps throw a fireball, they enter a death animation even though they haven't been damaged/killed. Using only Beautiful Doom doesn't cause the imps to do the death fireball dance. With the mods, disabling the Imp replacement state within the options sorts this out.
You're combining several mods that modify both weapons and monsters behaviour. That's never a good idea. I'm surprised that it even works at all.

On an unrelated note, when using Beautiful Doom with other weapon mods and having Beautiful Doom weapons set to Disable in the options, the Former Human monster can still occasionally drop the Beautiful Doom pistol which will then add itself to your arsenal. Once again that is with Beautiful Doom weapons disabled. I think in version 6, where you had to edit the mod manually, this did not use to happen.
r6d2

Post by r6d2 »

Jekyll Grim Payne wrote:That enhancement mod from 2008.
Hi, Jekyll!

I've been working on a Neural Upscaled sprite set for your mod. I basically upscaled most of the sprites with Waifu2x and then run an ImageMagick script on them to remove some artifacts.

I have fully completed weapons and monsters, with more to come. Everything new resides on the Hires folder so it does not conflict with anything you've done so far.

Would you be interested in trying these out? If you grant me contributor permission I can create a pull request.

Let me know, best regards!
Spoiler:
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

it would be good if u added an option for disabling decorative objects like lamps,torches etc,played some wads and they all had custom decorations
rileymartin

Post by rileymartin »

I tried this mod again after going all purist for a while and noticed a few issues conflicting with regular GZDoom behaviour:

1) https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5EC54A940/
A few of the corpses, such as the lying Zombieman under the crosshair above, block the player when playing in (strict) compat or just with infinite height on in general. I haven't noticed this issue with any other monsters or gibs and it only happens with that particular death animation. Turning off the fancy death animation option appears to fix this.

2) The "deep water" effect causes some enemies to not be able to fire projectiles over barriers they otherwise can in vanilla. This can be seen in something like Scythe map23 where Imps and Barons are unable to attack Revenants behind short barricades while standing in the blood.

3) Punching the air does not always alert enemies like shooting does. Sometimes they hear you and other times you need to fire a pistol or something at a wall to alert enemies by way of normal sound propagation.

All experience with vanilla settings in the options.
Jekyll Grim Payne

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Jekyll Grim Payne »

Squirb wrote:One minor issue I've come across when using the newest version of Beautiful Doom with mods such as Zagemod and Pandemonia:

Uh...That's not bug. The option to disable replacements is included precisely for cases like this. You can't combine replacements in GZDoom, you can get only one version of Imp.
rileymartin wrote:I tried this mod again after going all purist for a while and noticed a few issues conflicting with regular GZDoom behaviour:

3) Punching the air does not always alert enemies like shooting does. Sometimes they hear you and other times you need to fire a pistol or something at a wall to alert enemies by way of normal sound propagation.
This is intended behavior with Enhanced and Mondern. Swinging fists in the air doesn't alert enemies, punching/kicking a wall does but only within a certain range. But if that happens with vanilla, this shouldn't be the case, I'll double-check...

I'll probably disable deep water effect entirely, too many cases when it causes issues.

Gorec wrote:it would be good if u added an option for disabling decorative objects like lamps,torches etc,played some wads and they all had custom decorations
This will be included once I manage another release. The lack of this option is strictly temporary.
Gideon020 wrote:I dunno if I'm going crazy or not, but did this mod have plans for an automatic super-shotty? Because I know it was some kinda smooth doom-like mod...
An Automatic SSG used to exist in the Modern Guns arsenal, yes, but it was ultimately removed for balance and stylistical reasons, and replaced with a more traditional SSG. It was shown in a video here.
DarkQuill

Post by DarkQuill »

rileymartin wrote:https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5EC54A940/
A few of the corpses, such as the lying Zombieman under the crosshair above, block the player when playing in (strict) compat or just with infinite height on in general. I haven't noticed this issue with any other monsters or gibs and it only happens with that particular death animation. Turning off the fancy death animation option appears to fix this.
This also happens with the zombieman death where the head gets shot off. I've tested adding the A_NoBlocking tag on those two deaths, and it now works properly when trying to pass a corpse hanging over a ledge or on stairs.
https://i.imgur.com/FQPigIE.png
Not seen this happen anywhere else yet though.
Jekyll Grim Payne

DarkQuill wrote: This also happens with the zombieman death where the head gets shot off. I've tested adding the A_NoBlocking tag on those two deaths, and it now works properly when trying to pass a corpse hanging over a ledge or on stairs.
https://i.imgur.com/FQPigIE.png
Not seen this happen anywhere else yet though.
Yes, that's an issue of missing A_NoBlocking. Thanks for reporting, the fix will be uploaded to the repo shortly.
ToxicMasculinity

Post by ToxicMasculinity »

Hey Jekyll, I have a few requests/suggestions I've been meaning to mention to you for almost a year now. This goes without saying, but obviously only if you are up for them.

Suggestions:
Spoiler:
Minor Requests:
Spoiler:
Also, I'm no modder, so I have no idea what certain error codes mean and if they even effect the mod. With that said, here are the errors from the log file anytime I run BD. Are these errors normal for the current build, or am I just doing something wrong? Using GZDoom 4.2.0, and no other mods whatsoever.
Spoiler:
ProFound

Post by ProFound »

How do you change the hud so it becomes the default hud while using all of the beautiful doom perks. Thanks
Jekyll Grim Payne

Re: Beautiful Doom pre-7 build c0d410c (January 16, 2020)

pre-7 build c0d410c (January 16, 2020): DOWNLOAD on GitHub

Features & Fixes
  • Most classes now get precached when the mod is loaded. This results in slower initial startup but less stuttering as you play and new resources get loaded.
  • Beautiful Doom Settings can now be reached both via GZdoom options menu and from the main menu as "Beautiful Settings". Please note, if you run it with another mod that also contains a main menu replacement, you will not be able to see "Beautiful Settings" in the main menu, but you can still reach it via Options menu > Beautiful Doom Settings.
  • Added "Gibs pushable by explosion" option to Beautiful Doom Settings. Disabling it will make gibs non-interactive and (hopefully) lighter on your CPU. (Large amounts of gibs will still cause framerate drops. There's only so many actors GZDoom can handle.)
  • Added "Beautiful Doom Decorations" option that allows to disable replaced decorations from Beautiful Doom (same as other toggle options for weapons, monsters, etc.).
  • Added "Shootable Decorations" option: if Beautiful Doom decorations are used and this option is enabled, some decorations will be shootable by hitscan attacks (whereas in vanilla Doom decorations can only block projectiles) and some will react to being shot (for example, decorative victims can be killed, hanging bodies will swing around, etc.). Non-solid decorations will not be affected.
  • Icon of Sin replacement can now be disabled, just like any other monster, in the Per-monster replacement settings menu. This will disable enhanced spawn cube visuals, death effects including the earthquake triggered by its death.
  • Players and objects will no longer appear partly submerged into liquid surfaces such as acid or water: while the effect was nice, it prevented some maps from being easily completed due to attack-activated switches positioned carefully at a specific height.
  • Added "Show Weapon Help" button under Beautiful Doom Settings (default bind: G). With Enhanced and Modern weapon sets pressing it will show a graphic popup with some weapon information.
  • Removed old Help screen (F1)
  • Fixed Modern Super Shotgun being able to reload when you're out of shells, essentially having infinite ammo. (Thanks tototo)
  • Fixed blood sprays overhang on ceilings
  • Fixed Enhanced Second Pistol being visible and pickupable even when it shouldn't be
Visuals
  • Reworked and improved Enhanced muzzle flashes: they now have higher resolution, more detailed highlights on the gun sprite, fade-out animation, and leave smoke when firing.
  • New chainsaw deaths for Zombieman and Chaingunguy
  • Vanilla (red) muzzle flashes now use additive rendering which makes them more vivid without altering the classic look.
  • Added some missing frames for the Vanilla muzzle flashes.
  • Assault Rifle (Modern Guns) can now use Vanilla muzzle flashes.
  • Improved bullet effects on hitting various surfaces: they now spawn more consistently, and bullets will leave holes on floors and ceilings, just like they do on walls.
  • Blood pools and drops on the ground now have materials attached: they will reflect dynamic lights, such as torches, explosions, etc.
  • Chaingun Guy will now use different sprites (holding a rifle) when you're using Modern Guns, to match the fact that the chaingun is replaced by a rifle.
  • Drew brand-new quality animations for chainsaw deaths for Zombieman, Chaingun Guy
  • Added brand-new quality sprites and animations for Bloody Twitch (decorative person with cut-off legs hanged ona chain). Will react to being shot; can be killed. After killing will react to being shot like dead bodies: by slightly swinging on the chain.
  • Added brand-new quality sprites for impaled dead body, hanging torso without leg, and hanging leg.
  • Reworked smoke appearing over gun barrels: instead of wonky plume you'll now see more realistic fainter clouds, but they will only spawn if Enhanced muzzle flashes are used.
  • Modern Guns now don't stop bobbing when being fired or reloaded; it's a relatively subtle effect but makes them feel a bit more natural.
  • Modern Guns recoil slightly changes screen zoom for greater effect.
  • Vanilla and Enhanced Super Shotgun will now gib enemies based on how many pellets hit them instead of a randomized chance
  • Improved bullet tracers (and bullets in Modern Guns) so that they look more like they're fired from the gun rather than directly from the player's body.
  • Enhanced Pistol has slightly smoother animation when dual-wielding.
  • Modern Shotgun has a new firing animation, with a nicer and smoother short pump.
  • Arch-Vile fire now has updated sound and visual effects when exploding under your feet.
  • Arch-Vile flame seeker now properly won't spawn if bdoom_flames is set to false.
  • Arch-Vile seeker flames show additional particle effects when they dissipate.
  • Icon of Sin death sequence now uses new explosions, and blood will gush out from its forehead. It will only work if Icon of Sin is placed at the correct coordinates, predetermined by Doom 2. (This is actually true for all Icon of Sin effects, even in vanilla Doom 2.)
  • Modern BFG orb now has much more impressive visuals, with additional beams, particle effects and sprite alterations.
  • Improved BFG decals and added glow
  • Improved Plasma Rifle decals and added glow
  • Vanilla/Enhanced BFG orb has additional lightning and particle effects when exploding.
  • Pieces of meat spawned by gibbed enemies can now temporarily stick to walls and ceiling.
  • Better swinging for decorative hanging torsos and bodies (thanks Gutawer and kodi).
  • Added normal and specular maps to blood
  • Added new shader effects for liquid textures
  • Added the updated versiou of bloody footprints that will appear if you've stepped over a lot of blood
Gameplay
  • Reworked Modern BFG9000: The orb will now emit visual beams at its targets before firing. The orb gradually slows down after being fired, so, it can't fly very far. (This way you won't be able to just hurl it at remote ends of the map and destroy lots of enemies.) There are still 8 levels of charge, which determine how much ammo is used, as well as the orb's initial speed, size, maximum number of targets, range of beams, and size and power of explosion.
  • Modern Fist can now be comboed slightly faster. When using Berserk, isntead of being very fast it simply becomes much stronger and has a larger combo window, making it easier to string longer comboes. Also, with Berserk the light left punch never resolves into a light finisher and has autofire, so you can just hold down primary Fire and pcun away.
  • Modern Launcher grenades can now realistically slide along the floor instead of stopping dead as soon as they stop bouncing.
  • Modern Plasma Rifle now has a slight recoil effect.

TO-DO LIST
  • Finish the rest of Weapon Help popups: Modern Fists, Chainsaw
  • Add black gloves
  • Add red vingette effect to Modern Berserk
  • Add a selection sound for Modern Chainsaw
  • Draw new sprites for Live Stick, Head on a Stick, Heads on a Stick
  • (Possible) Incorporate varied monster sounds as an option
Known Issues

This version hasn't been fully playtested and can contain bugs.
Modern Assault Rifle uses incorrect muzzle flashes.
Not all decorative blood and corpses have been implemented.
Doomguy doesn't use any special gore effects.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

I have some suggestions (None of which you have to do, but I think would be cool to see)

-Replace Modern pistol with smg based on the DOOM box art
-Bring back old modern shotgun pump (I liked it way better)
-Have the option to either use modern assault rifle or modern chaingun
-Give modern/Enhanced style the ability to do Headshots (and have it actually damage the Demons more than body shots)
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

TheOldKingCole wrote:I have some suggestions (None of which you have to do, but I think would be cool to see)

-Replace Modern pistol with smg based on the DOOM box art
-Bring back old modern shotgun pump (I liked it way better)
-Have the option to either use modern assault rifle or modern chaingun
-Give modern/Enhanced style the ability to do Headshots (and have it actually damage the Demons more than body shots)
Also a dedicated jump and crouch kick animation
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Would it be possible to have it so the Modern rifle starts loaded when picked up?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”