Voyage Infernal [1.13]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TheOldKingCole

Re: Voyage Infernal [1.04]

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Also what are the odds we can get a grenade launcher and railgun? I'm guessing zero, but I Still thought I should make the suggestion just because I miss the days of skulltag.
Goat

Post by Goat »

Took the new version for a spin on some maps. On second thought, I quite like the Double-barrel shotgun and LAW where they are :D . Maybe I'm just too used to seeing double barrels on the SSG slot and that threw me off at first. I have to say this weapon set really complements the atmosphere of Doom 64 maps and more industrial themed wads like UAC Ultra. The sliding is really handy when you're trying to evade crushers. I usually hate taking on multiple enemies in melee but the big wide swipe really makes it fun. I also like that the pistol is slightly buffed, makes it so much more viable.

I noticed there's a little overheating animation on the plasma rifle. Is this just cosmetic or are you planning to add something to it?
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

I noticed there is now a swap shotgun option which is great but it doesn't appear to work.
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

Another thing I noticed is that I now cannot hear any teleport sound
TheOldKingCole

Post by TheOldKingCole »

TheOldKingCole wrote:Another thing I noticed is that I now cannot hear any teleport sound
Nevermind, false alarm, This was on my end
Toberone

Post by Toberone »

I'm not kidding when I say this is one now one of my favorite weapon mods of all time, and it just came out of nowhere.

Don't really have anything else to say. Just hope to see more in the future, this is fantastic.
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

TheOldKingCole wrote:Also what are the odds we can get a grenade launcher and railgun? I'm guessing zero, but I Still thought I should make the suggestion just because I miss the days of skulltag.
there was a grenade launcher initially, which got replaced by HL/duke nukem style satchel explosives, which got replaced by grenades, which got replaced by the current rocket launcher, because everything else just doesn't work very well in doom maps as i have discovered during my own playtesting.

I've also considered making the plasma gun shoot small lasors/rails or something like that instead of balls, but for now im satisfied with the existing arsenal.
vidumec

Re: Voyage Infernal [1.03]

Post by vidumec »

TheOldKingCole wrote: Because I'm a hack with no talent? See what I did there? In all seriousness I am very new to modding in general, so I had no idea how to make it work the way you did.
haha no i meant the mouselook, not your modding skills
Goat wrote:I noticed there's a little overheating animation on the plasma rifle. Is this just cosmetic or are you planning to add something to it?
it's already there. Releasing fire button before it's overheated allows to fire again right away without the "cooldown" animation

I have uploaded a new version that doesn't use font scaling, that should fix all hud-scaling related issues, but the font itself will look bigger now, and not as nice. The scaling function is the same one that is used in D4D, and i remember it also having hud scaling issues, so maybe that's just how it is, and not much else can be done about it, short of recreating the font lump from scratch in smaller scale.
Goat

Re: Voyage Infernal [1.05]

Post by Goat »

vidumec wrote:it's already there. Releasing fire button before it's overheated allows to fire again right away without the "cooldown" animation
Ah, subtle
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

vidumec wrote:
TheOldKingCole wrote:Also what are the odds we can get a grenade launcher and railgun? I'm guessing zero, but I Still thought I should make the suggestion just because I miss the days of skulltag.
there was a grenade launcher initially, which got replaced by HL/duke nukem style satchel explosives, which got replaced by grenades, which got replaced by the current rocket launcher, because everything else just doesn't work very well in doom maps as i have discovered during my own playtesting.

I've also considered making the plasma gun shoot small lasors/rails or something like that instead of balls, but for now im satisfied with the existing arsenal.
How about like, a flamethrower or something for plasma rifle? The FAMAS could also get beefed up or replaced with an LMG. Increase SPAS shell cap from 6 to 8?
Last edited by EddieMann on Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Probably a dumb question but what map sets are featured in the screenshots?
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

EddieMann wrote: How about like, a flamethrower or something for plasma rifle? The FAMAS could also get beefed up or replaced with an LMG. Increase SPAS shell cap from 6 to 8?
Buffing famas will make plasma gun irrelevant. 8 shells in SPAS were OP, enough to kill fatso in one burst, or kill archvile in one burst + one shot from TTN. It also makes reload longer. Flamethrower sounds great, but i would need to draw various burning animations for monsters of different sizes, as well as draw some realistic first person fire sprites ( all particle based variants look funky ), so that goes into the backlog, right along with custom sliding animations for each weapon ( the current "ducking" is just a placeholder )
vidumec

Post by vidumec »

retronutcase wrote:Probably a dumb question but what map sets are featured in the screenshots?
btsx episode 1 and 2
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

vidumec wrote:
EddieMann wrote: How about like, a flamethrower or something for plasma rifle? The FAMAS could also get beefed up or replaced with an LMG. Increase SPAS shell cap from 6 to 8?
Buffing famas will make plasma gun irrelevant. 8 shells in SPAS were OP, enough to kill fatso in one burst, or kill archvile in one burst + one shot from TTN. It also makes reload longer. Flamethrower sounds great, but i would need to draw various burning animations for monsters of different sizes, as well as draw some realistic first person fire sprites ( all particle based variants look funky ), so that goes into the backlog, right along with custom sliding animations for each weapon ( the current "ducking" is just a placeholder )
I meant to say replace FAMAS with LMG sprites, like QBB-95 or make it feel more impactful. Aside from that, the pistol does seem a bit on-and-off with its rapid fire.
Toberone

Re: Voyage Infernàl [1.07]

Post by Toberone »

I like the way the pistol works

The pistol I think has a bit of a firing delay buffer built into it but I think If you keep a steady tapping pace it fires fairly quickly. Fun fact if you hold the firing button it dramatically lowers the fire rate but every shot is perfectly accurate and apparently stronger, the damage goes from 15 to 17. makes it a good back-up sniping tool that helps conserve ammo.

By the way I have one question. Ive been snooping around in the weapon code and I think the bfg projectile is missing its initial contact damage, not that its the important part of it but was that an intentional nerf?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”