Deathmatch Simulator - This Mod Has Moved. See OP For Details.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
neoworm

Re: Deathmatch Simulator (03/01/20 - Build 03.1 p4)

Post by neoworm »

Can I borrow that bit of code? I would really like to learn some monsters to politely die when thrown to lava.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The simplest is probably to have them call [wiki]A_CheckTerrain[/wiki] regularly. Something like overriding the tick function to call A_CheckTerrain every 32 tics.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

neoworm wrote:Can I borrow that bit of code? I would really like to learn some monsters to politely die when thrown to lava.
Go ahead!
Gez wrote:The simplest is probably to have them call [wiki]A_CheckTerrain[/wiki] regularly. Something like overriding the tick function to call A_CheckTerrain every 32 tics.
I don't know how A_CheckTerrain works exactly because it's native, but the wiki suggests it only works with two specific sector specials, while DM Sim's implementation handles custom UDMF sector damage amounts and intervals by getting the data from the sector itself.
Trex8210

Post by Trex8210 »

Hey is this mod compatible with GZDOOM 4.1.3?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Trex8210 wrote:Hey is this mod compatible with GZDOOM 4.1.3?
Try loading it. If it needs a newer version, it'll tell you.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

AWWWW i can't play this mod with Skulltag!! DDDDDD:

... Joke aside, this is exactly i enjoyed in skulltag's very own deathmatch. But with unique and distinctive cast and the weapons. Also am i seeing some special encounters like Duke, Chubbs and Cyberbaron as well? They sure take a lot of punishment! Very impressive work.
Spoiler: And mind if i tell ya some feedback and suggestions?
So that's about it. I would like to see more of retrospectively radical custom DM maps. This whole experience made me wanna play Skulltag once again!
Last edited by Captain J on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
PatCatz2004

Post by PatCatz2004 »

uhm Kinsie, I needed your help. whenever I download the latest release, it always ended in z, and I only downloaded an empty winrar archive. this is true with both Juvinelle Power Fantasy and Metadoom.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ended with Z? What do you mean? You mean the download link doesn't work? Because it does work. I can download the file without a problem. Google Chrome is not really acting weird this time.

Also Winrar? Have you also tried another unzipping program such as 7-Zip? It unzips the file perfectly.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

My mods are released as 7-Zip archives. Use that, it's great.
Doommaniac2004

Post by Doommaniac2004 »

Can you release a delta touch compatible version?
Pls
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Doommaniac2004 wrote:Can you release a delta touch compatible version?
Pls
You may need to set Delta Touch to use a "dev" version of GZDoom in order to make newer mods work. If it still does not work, then go tell Beloko to update the "dev" version to a newer build.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I cannot guarantee Delta Touch support for any of my mods, as I don't use an Android device and as such cannot test my mods on that platform. Sorry about that!
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Having just binge-played this for an hour or two with 32in24 and freeDM, I have a couple things to say:

Firstly, the chaingun is a good stunlocking weapon, which usually makes sense, but it doesn't feel quite right in a DM simulator. Maybe this is just my quake 3 roots talking, but it needs to be more accurate--something that I can do sustained damage with even at medium ranges if I can track a target.

Similarly, the rocket launcher could do with some more vertical thrust on impact, to mimic the juggling in q3--though this isn't as much of a problem when you're hitting Ranger with a rocket. Fittingly enough, his bunnyhopping makes him go flying when you rocket him.

Speaking of, love the designs for the deathmatchers. They all do a great job of telegraphing the behavior of the enemy in question.

...also, can we get a current-weapon-dropped-on-death option? Yes, it's because I'm salty that I died right after I picked up the BFG. (Would be cool to get "drop powerup on death" as well, for actual DM.)

[EDIT] Oh, and I bet you could think of something cool to spawn in place of the keys. A powerup, for instance, or one of the skulltag-specific weapons...
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hey! In case it wasn't plainly obvious, I kind of temporarily dropped this mod in January to work on MetaDoom some more. Then, once the prospect of Reelism 2 came up, I kind of completely forgot I hadn't put out my recent changes. Oops. Anyway, here it all is with some other minor fixes.

Latest Stable Build - Build 04 (~18mb)
GAMEPLAY CHANGES:
  • Added the ability to play on deathmatch maps that don't have a player 1 start!
  • Rewrote the code to make multiplayer-only actors appear in single player to not mangle actor flags, allowing script actors to function properly. As such, the CVar to toggle this behavior has been removed.
  • Added Duke3D-style respawn markers! Togglable in the DM Sim Options menu.
MONSTER CHANGES:
  • General: Monsters that aren't fighting the player will switch targets to the player if they get reasonably close and aren't actively fighting someone else, reducing the common issue of monsters running past the player seemingly oblivious to their existence.
  • Pacifist: Added to the Hard spawn list!

MAP CHANGES:
  • Made some tweaks to IWAD maps (E1M8, MAP01, MAP02, MAP32)
  • BB3: Added a favorite map from Blood!
  • FDM02: Adjusted temple geometry to make the Timesphere jump easier.
  • FDM03: Adjusted scripting for slanted jumppads to remove workarounds.
  • FDM04: Replaced the hidden Hastesphere with a Timesphere.
MISC. CHANGES:
  • Added more sound clips for the start of a match.
  • Continued development of the Fake Voice Chat system. (removed in stable release)
  • Fixed animation on Bossbrain projectile explosions
  • Fixed some intermission issues on newer versions of GZDoom.
Hetdegon

Re: Deathmatch Simulator (05/09/20 - Build 04 p5)

Post by Hetdegon »

Oh this is excellent. I thought this was all done, so I'm happy as can be right now.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”