Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sebelino

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Post by Sebelino »

This mod is based on the Nintendo DS game named Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and its recent remake on the 3DS, as well as other MegaTen games. This mod was basically memed into existence. I originally posted version 1.0 and version 2.0 of the mod on /smtg/ (4chan), but I figured it was time to make a thread about it.

Here are the most important features:
  • Doom II monster sprites have been replaced with Shin Megami Tensei demon sprites. For example, Imp has been replaced by Hua Po. Their movement and behavior remain largely the same, but there are some differences.
  • Many additional demons, with custom-implemented behavior and attacks.
  • The demons have weaknesses and resistances to certain elements, and can even null and repel certain attack types. The weaknesses/resistances are determined by their counterparts in the original DS game.
  • Some of the main character's weapons have been replaced with "elemental" counterparts: the shotgun shoots fire, the SSG shoots ice, the pistol can shoot both electricity and poison.
  • The main character can pick up demon-summoning programs which are accessed using the 8, 9 and 0 keys. This allows for summoning a maximum of 38 different demons to aid you.
  • Map 01 has been replaced with the first floor of Sector Antlia from Strange Journey.
  • Map 02 has been replaced with the third basement floor of the Basilica from Shin Megami Tensei 1.
  • Map 03 has been replaced with the first floor of Sector Eridanus.
  • Map 32 contains a superboss and is accessible from secret exits present in all maps above.
For dummies: To play it, install a recent version of GZDoom and get a Doom II IWAD file. Make sure you can use GZDoom to play Doom II, then download strangejourney.pk3 and drag and drop it onto gzdoom.exe.

Download (updated)

Version 3.0.2 from January 17th 2020, which is the most recent version:

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gy5pgyxzp ... y.pk3/file

Version 2.0 from October 25th 2017:

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tiiad3bmf ... ourney.pk3

Old strangejourney.wad version 1.0 from January 2017:

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lt4jyr3ns ... ourney.wad

Compatibility notes
* IWAD: Doom2
* Supported sourceports: GZDoom. Dynamic lights (lights.pk3, brightmaps.pk3) are recommended but are probably not necessary. Version 1.0 was developed against Zandronum however.

You are very much welcome to use the mod for any purpose.

Enjoy.
Last edited by Sebelino on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sebelino

Re: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Post by Sebelino »

There is now a version 3.0 of the mod, featuring the gigantic map Eridanus 1F with 66 (!) secrets and tons of other improvements. Please see the enclosed readme for details. I have updated the description.
Whitestellar

Post by Whitestellar »

This mod is cool, but, need to ask a few things:
1) There is a version without the custom guns? To use another mods with
2) Do you plan to make the Whole Strange Journey?
Sebelino

Post by Sebelino »

Update: Fixed a bug affecting the HD font spacing which became an issue in the most recent versions of GZDoom. I have updated the description with a link to v.3.0.1 containing the bugfix.
Sebelino

Post by Sebelino »

Whitestellar wrote:This mod is cool, but, need to ask a few things:
1) There is a version without the custom guns? To use another mods with
My apologies for the late answer. I'm afraid not, but you can achieve this quite easily:

1. Unzip strangejourney.pk3
2. In strangejourney/MAPINFO.txt, remove this line:

Code: Select all

playerclasses = "SJGuy"
3. In strangejourney/strangejourney/ZSCRIPT.txt, remove this block:

Code: Select all

// Weapons
#include "strangejourney/weapons/ZSCRIPT.txt"
4. Remove the directory sprites/weapon/
5. Remove the directory sprites/projectiles/
6. Zip the directory and rename it back to strangejourney.pk3
Whitestellar wrote:2) Do you plan to make the Whole Strange Journey?
I have no such plans, but we'll see.
Sebelino

Post by Sebelino »

Update: Addressed a performance issue where summoning certain demons would slow down GZDoom severely. These sprites were huge, so the workaround for now was to scale them down. Updated the description with a link to v.3.0.2 including the fix.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Pretty impressive mod. Each monsters has unique and intimidating attack pattern and it's kinda fair. Also... They have no animations at all because they only use official portrait artwork. So it's hard to animate, pixelate them and whatnot.

But you know what? It gives me the JRPG feeling in non-stop action and It's working.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”