Highway Acceleroid Booster v1 - Life in the Fast Lane

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dawnbreez

Re: Highway Acceleroid Booster v1 - Life in the Fast Lane

Post by dawnbreez »

The weapons feel interesting, especially because all of them are highly specialized--each one is really, really good at certain situations, including the starting gun, which is actually the best option for some common early-map scenarios! Someone ought to write down some tips for each weapon.

Hey, wait a second--I'm someone!
Spoiler:
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Definitely need to check this out. Congrats on a release!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Spoiler: hold on... I think i've got some gripes
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Captain J wrote: Also are you going to make the player spam a lot of Alt-Fire missiles somehow? Just like other great FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D and Blood. I think it's the most natural thing to put in.
The Crush Piston has altfire missile spam. Hold altfire and aim at targets to mark them, then release to fire 2 missiles per target. Zombies and imps tend to die in one, but the other missile will continue onward and look for more targets.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

I know, but i mean solely about the Heavy Cylinder. It won't let me deploy more remote controlled missiles. You only can deploy only one pair.

EDIT: UUUUHHHHH Heavy Cylinder. Yeah. My mind's going crazy nowadays... Heh
Last edited by Captain J on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Captain J wrote:I know, but i mean solely about the Clutch Buster. It won't let me deploy more remote controlled missiles. You only can deploy only one pair.
I assume you mean the rocket launcher replacement, the Heavy Cylinder.

Yeah, being able to shoot more than just 2 pipebombs would be neat.

Maybe a CVar for letting the player shoot out more and detonate them by holding altfire instead of pressing it?

Like how the Side Passenger works with deploying more afterimages?
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Marisa Kirisame wrote:You did it!
But the mirrors are still not mirrors uwu.
Revae wrote:Apparently that's not possible atm.
But what if you made like 100 one pixel wide ... render targets... (or whatever they're called here)... and then organized them horizontally backwards...
Bet that would be stupid.
It is actually possible, thanks to Marisa making a patch. But unfortunately, because of an unresolved hardware issue, I haven't been able to update GZDoom past 3.4.1, so I haven't been able to make use of the patch.
It's unfortunate, but I appreciate the hard work anyway. Thank you!
Have you um... tried using something else like obs to record? dxtory is kinda... uh... obsolete. I think.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

First of all, I want to drop in and say that this is fantastic. This is the most fun I've had with a gameplay mod since DemonSteele's inception. Second of all, I think I found a bug. There was one point where the Side Passenger was spawning two, uh... side passengers. Pretty sure there's only supposed to be one of them. I'm not sure what triggered it, and I haven't the slightest idea how to recreate the anomaly, but I know that it happened and it made me scared. :c
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Pompous Seed wrote:First of all, I want to drop in and say that this is fantastic. This is the most fun I've had with a gameplay mod since DemonSteele's inception. Second of all, I think I found a bug. There was one point where the Side Passenger was spawning two, uh... side passengers. Pretty sure there's only supposed to be one of them. I'm not sure what triggered it, and I haven't the slightest idea how to recreate the anomaly, but I know that it happened and it made me scared. :c
You probably held down altfire instead of just pressing it. Holding down altfire switches between 1 clone and 2.
MrJohnny

Post by MrJohnny »

Yeah, that's what happened. My bad. :/
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Have you um... tried using something else like obs to record? dxtory is kinda... uh... obsolete. I think.
I just 100% wanted to parrot this comment.
will183
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10

Post by will183 »

Are there any good maps for this?
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Wivicer wrote:A thought: when the player gibs an enemy by speedboosting or revving through them, blood splatters on the screen that get wiped away by windshield wipers. Doesn't really fit with the aesthetic, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Also (this happened when playing with a monster mod):
Spoiler:
Had this happen to me, was destroying a corpse (from the newest Universal Gibs) with the saber and got this crash as well.

Also, could you possibly lower the volume on the primary fire for the volt weapon? It's a bit deafening tbh.
Wivicer

Post by Wivicer »

Cryomundus wrote:
Wivicer wrote:A thought: when the player gibs an enemy by speedboosting or revving through them, blood splatters on the screen that get wiped away by windshield wipers. Doesn't really fit with the aesthetic, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Also (this happened when playing with a monster mod):
Spoiler:
Had this happen to me, was destroying a corpse (from the newest Universal Gibs) with the saber and got this crash as well.

Also, could you possibly lower the volume on the primary fire for the volt weapon? It's a bit deafening tbh.
The quoted line doesn't check to make sure the target exists, so when it tries to execute the conditional if the target doesn't exist it aborts. Easy enough to fix. Just have to add tracer != null.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Yeah, the line belongs to a projectile that has +HITTRACER, so logically anything it should hit should automatically be considered a tracer. But sometimes things slip.
I'll fix it next update, thank you.
Marisa Kirisame wrote:Have you um... tried using something else like obs to record? dxtory is kinda... uh... obsolete. I think.
I use and have set up OBS for streaming. Alternating back and forth between OBS settings for recording and streaming is a PITA, it's easier to just have a separate program for it.
Captain J wrote:- Speaking of Clutch Buster... I think the firing sound effect is less clean and powerful hearing. Either the casing bounce sound too, really. It's just boring plastic tic, instead of satisfying brass clink as we know to this day. I guess this is all about OC canon thing? I dunno. Anyway Mac version of Wolfenstein 3D has the original and clean one, though!
- Also one more thing: The player with Ride Armor has no third person proper sprite. Just a Crusader straight from Strife. But i don't think it's not really multiplayer-based, so i guess it's doable.
- More about the Ride Armor - it's a minor graphical issue, but both Control Sticks on the HUD are quite tall. I can barely see the Minigun doing its job.
- What do you think of custom game over sequence? Mega Man-esq exploding that don't stop the music is kinda not retrospective, if you know what i mean.
- Funny because you don't get the scolding after you type IDDQD or God in the console command except when you resurrect yours dead self.
- Heavy Cylinder is fairly strong weapon. However the Alt-Fire is just meh compare to its primary one. The projectiles bounce on the enemies on impact, so it bloops my momentum to detonate in direct hit. Also are you going to make the player spam a lot of Alt-Fire missiles somehow? Just like other great FPS games like Duke Nukem 3D and Blood. I think it's the most natural thing to put in.
- No F1 read me screenies yet... I guess you're going to put some weapon explanations and tips when it's gonna happen?
- Fuse Injector is very satisfying to use. The only problem with this is the sound of slashing the enemies is quite underwhelming unlike the wall one.
- I like how it sounds, I think it's neat.
- Yeah, the Ride Armor doesn't have a proper spriteset yet. I'd like one later, but that had to be cut to get the build out now.
- I'll lower the sticks down just a touch.
- A custom game-over sequence would be really nice, though I'd like a little more than just stopping the music.
- I suppose it would just be a simple matter to check with player cheats in ZScript. I'll give it a shot.
- I'll admit the secondary fire is designed primarily for rocketjump purposes, being able to time and control directly when and where they explode is extremely convenient. Whether just being able to control where you launch from, or to be stylish by launching some into the air and Reload-dashing over to them to detonate to launch yourself high... I feel like spamming multiple grenades and lying a bunch in a pile would basically just invite people to make a pile and send themselves high.
- I completely forgot that F1 existed. I'll include something for next version.
- I agree. I'd like to tweak it a bit down the line.

Thank you for the input.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”