CRT HUD/Statusbar

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lippeth

CRT HUD/Statusbar

Post by Lippeth »

Something I've been messing around with for a while and finally got it to a point that I don't mind sharing it.

I wanted the classic feel that can be switched between fullscreen and statusbar, with an alternate ammo counter and timers for powerups. The alt ammo counter is nonexistent if not using a mod that uses it, so it works for vanilla play.

Let me know if there are any bugs due to scaling or otherwise, or if you have any ideas to make it better. I hope you enjoy!

CRT HUD

Update: I've added a computer variant using Doom/Doom2 resources just for fun.
Last edited by Lippeth on Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: CRT HUD/Statusbar

Post by MFG38 »

Looks pretty cool.
ToxicMasculinity
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ToxicMasculinity »

Is there any chance you could make a version of this HUD where the Ammo count is switched with the Armor count? Maybe it's just me, but the current setup is kind of strange and throws me off. Armor isn't something I constantly check, like I do my health and ammo count. It's nice, but armor is a secondary priority next to health and ammo imo. If not though, it's fine. Just thought I'd ask. Thank you for sharing this none the less, much appreciated. Also, another cool 3rd alternate version would be to use the split HUD that you have, and just add the Mugshot screen as well, but still keep the rest transparent, as in no status bar. Just a suggestion.
Woolie Wool
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux, Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Woolie Wool »

This is absolutely fantastic and much more visually interesting than the previous "Saturn" HUDs. I think the numbers should be green or amber and have some faux scanlines, though, just for the aesthetic.
Tango

Post by Tango »

this HUD is really, really fantastic, definitely the best take on the vanilla HUD that I've seen. is it permitted for folks to use this as a base for their own HUD graphics in other mods?
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Absolutely. Feel free to take anything from this, and use it however you'd like!
Tango

Post by Tango »

Lippeth you are a gem, thanks so much :D
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Update: I've added a new file with a computer style variant, it works the same as the stone, but looks more computery. Download is in the OP.
SleepyNotDead

Post by SleepyNotDead »

Do you think you could possibly add in a mugshot screen in the corner somewhere for the split fullscreen version of the hud? Similar to the Weapons of Saturn HUD.

Fantastic HUD btw, by far my personal favorite.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks! I can add it, but so far I haven't found a position that looks right. I personally like the simplicity of no mugshot, but I can add a variant in the next update, or try and do something creative.

[This next bit has little to do with this topic but I need to express it while I'm here or I'm going to pop]

I've been looking into leaving things like SBARINFO and Decorate behind and redoing all my mods in ZScript, but it is WAY over my head, so much that every time I look for resources that explain what I'm looking at, I get a bit overwhelmed. But hopefully with my persistence, like Decorate (which only feels like I recently started to really get the hang of), over time it will click, or I'll be weeded out and have to find a new hobby.

I've only put 2 and 2 together this year and fully realized that ZScript even exists. I've casually gone into the gzdoom.pk3 here and there for various things and did notice a difference, mainly extra semicolons and strings of new code, though I didn't fully put it all together until someone suggested that I inherit something from ZScript. I don't know how I've gone so long without knowing, but when it and all its implications hit me, I felt like my feet got taken out from under me. I fell out of modding to pursue a career around 2017, and I come back this year (with said career, thankfully) and feel like Spongebob's first visit to Rock Bottom (sorry for the lame analogy). I've fallen painfully behind, and it seems that every concept I begin to grasp and start making use of becomes deprecated. I've started learning C++ because from the outside they look very similar, but I'm not even sure if that's the right road to take in order to understand, though. And honestly, at this point I'm afraid to ask, like I'm going to be berated for not having a coding background.

I did try to learn by converting Weapons of Saturn and got some things to work, but the only info I could find at the time other than the gzdoom.pk3 was about ZScripting monsters, which doesn't really help with a weapon mod, or a hud mod like this for that matter. Though I did make a Hexen weapon mod that successfully uses ZScript for attack angles and various other inheritances, and it's because of that specific application that I see the value in switching to ZScript. I plan to keep at it until it clicks, but new features that I want to add to projects will be very slow-going.

Anyway, thanks for being polite while I got that out, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
okbuddy

Post by okbuddy »

This is a really excellent HUD. The offset "ammo", "health" and "armor" labels under the numbers is pretty jarring to my eye though. I see why it was done that way for the secondary ammo counter but for the health/armor boxes it just doesn't look right. Maybe listing the armor save percentage in a similar way to the ammo counter would balance it out. For the health label maybe a small custom icon showing berserk or regular? One extremely minor nitpick that's just my opinion but I would change "god" on the powerup list to "inv". I hear you about the zscript. Even dumb people like me can cobble things together with sbarinfo and decorate but when I open something in slade that is zscript I get a nosebleed and blackout after 30 seconds of looking at it. In any event, I really like your work with this and WoS so thanks for all the effort you put in.
Sgt Major Kiwi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Sgt Major Kiwi »

I really love the comp full one, but I agree with the offset labels looking weird complaint, otherwise it's a great looking hud! also, the top image with the right handed pistol with 7 "boolits" feels like it might have been taken with hideous destructor. maybe.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”