HereticArcana! (HexArcana V3.0)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
eharper256

Re: HexArcana (V1.1)

Post by eharper256 »

Cool; look forward to seeing what you do with the next version.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

As an aside; I believe that the Firestorm's Flame Ring fails to hurt the player because the Ringspawn Actor is friendly; so I'm guessing its A_Explode does nothing.

Alternatively, it could be because the damage caused is reliant on Mana1 being exactly 2. Isn't "Mana1" literally what Hexen calls Blue Mana? I wouldn't use that specifically as the item to track this.

Also, I added in the Lightbringer, like I've wanted to do for awhile:

Very happy with how the Laser turned out. I obviously made it a fair bit less powerful than its Hexen 2 version since here its the Blue Mana weapon rather than the Ult. May slightly tweak the cost and damage but its fairly good to go, and in the meantime I'm making a third alt-fire for the Mage's Fire and Ice, a long range projectile.

EDIT: Oh and one other random thing I just noticed playing Fighter again: if you don't have the mana to use Timon's Axe Throw with Reload (I had 10 mana), but still press Reload, it uses a basic swing; but this basic swing comes out more quickly than the one on the primary fire. Weird.
4page

Post by 4page »

It's weird that it doesn't hurt in your version, because it works every time I play it. And I am using the latest version of GZDoom. But again, I'm going to see if I can make it work better. The Mana1 thing is irrelevant. Basically it's being used as a counter, so every tic the Actor "RingSpawner" gets 1 unit of Mana1. When it gets 2 units of mana1 it takes away all units of mana1 and does the damage, thus resetting the counter to 0. Looking at it now, I should have put "if(Countinv("Mana1") > 2" instead. Since you're editing the code anyway, could you try that and see if that makes a difference? It may be that somehow the ACTOR ended up getting more than 2 units of Mana1 and thus never triggered the removal of the counter.

I'll look into the thing with the axe too.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

I tried what you said; and also tried defining FireMana1 and using that, and also tried removing the friendly flag and the damage type. Still no damage to the player. XD

Interestingly, in the process, I noticed that I was still randomly splattering blood against a wall from Nashgore if I stood facing it whilst in flame mode, so evidently, that at least is noticing I'm taking damage, it just never actually hits my HP.

Hence, I also tried disabling the rest of my load-order just in the offchance but no success there either. (I didn't think that was likely anyway, since I only have UI/texture/sound/music replacement for Hexen, but hey, science!)

Considering I can damage myself fine with the occasional poorly placed flechette and the Bloodscourge, its not like self-damage is disabled either.

Weird, huh?
Terensworth

Post by Terensworth »

Just going through the game with the new Slayer now.

I haven't reached Quietus yet but you've completely aced all of the weapons in the feel and power department, got the axe for a balanced and survivable approach and the hammer for going ham... ugh... and the hammer for going crazy and destroying everything.
In hindsight I do wonder if the fists have a use after getting the axe, but that, to me, seems like a purely map based deal. The dash attack gives such good mobility it downright lets the slayer sequence break in the base Hexen megawad... so he's the speedrunning class now!

I'll update this post or maybe post again once I test some more things out but this is glorious so far.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Terensworth wrote:In hindsight I do wonder if the fists have a use after getting the axe, but that, to me, seems like a purely map based deal.
The axe is due to be nerfed in the latest patch when 4page releases it; though I've mostly kept its current form in my fork. There's also a brand new Quietus basic attack thats pretty swell.

Don't forget to occasionally play Cleric and Mage, Terensworth. :D
Terensworth

Post by Terensworth »

Considering I adore this mod? Hell yeah I will!
... eventually!
...Hexen is a long arduous process and I always try to get everything, even though it's kinda pointless, not a smart move, I know.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

I guess it is if you're replaying the main campaign; though don't forget there are a handful of solid (and shorter) user-hubs. Scourge of Viscerus, Shades, A New World, 4 Weeks of Pain, etc.
4page

Post by 4page »

Version 1.2 is out and about! After much despair and gnashing of teeth! Rejoice for the hour of update is upon you!
-Slayer has had a few more tweaks, mostly to Quietus.
-Warlock has some more visual touch ups.
-Warlock has also gotten some slight damage changes to his Telekinesis weapon, and the Cone of cold.
-Warlock has also also changed the way the lightning bolt works slightly, making damage a little more consistent.
-Warlock ALSO also also has Bloodscourge changed, primary projectile seeks opponents after a time in the air. Minor meteors also kinda seek. May act slightly weird.
-Magister the bow's primary has been adjusted. Damage values now start higher, but are lower than before at full charge, but charges faster, leading to faster fire rate. Chain lighting should be more reliable and random. Maybe.
-Magister also has some visual touch ups.
NEW FLECHETTES:
Slayer: Throws his like vanilla. Except further. And harder.
Warlock: Now acts like a proximity mine. Will explode when an enemy gets near. Or lasts about a minute before it self destructs.
Magister: Throws his. Like a molotov cocktail. Breaks on contact leaving a burning area.
eharper256

Re: HexArcana (V1.2)

Post by eharper256 »

Nice; I like the Flechette changes, though Fighters seem a little underpowered now compared to the others. XD

Bloodscourge changes are nice. Minor Meteors and their seeking gives them alot of oomph.

I think I've already commented on most of the rest in PM; but not alot of time to comment this morning, will let you know if I see anything else later.
Blackgrowl
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Blackgrowl »

Nice to see this mod keeps going.
I like these new changes, Slayer feels a lot more fun than before, I especially like your work on the Quintus sword.

I only have two concerns;
Can you move the "armor" icon somewhere else? Or better yet, make it be moved when you disable Stamina. The Stamina bar is gone, but the armor icon is still on top of it, it looks inconsistent. I'm sure a very simple code for it is possible.
The Quintus looks like a Bastard Sword, so it has quite a good reach, in-game it's fair, but I think a small increase in length would be better.
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Played a couple levels of Cyrgoth's Revenge as the Slayer.

Fists: Theyre so fast it just make me feel like a spaz. It lacks weight. Secondary fire is cool, but it makes enemies infight like when you use the disc of repulsion, which doesnt feel logical or balanced.

Axe: The primary fire feels almost identical to the fist (with the same issue of being too fast). There doesnt seem to be any reason to use it when the secondary mode has a way wider range and hits multiple targets. The ranged fire mode is good, but costs way too much mana.

I would like to note a fundamental issue that applies to all the melee weapons. In Hexen, melee attacks fire a 45-degree cone of hitscans in front of the player to find a target. Your method, the decorate function A_CustomPunch, only fires ONE hitscan from the exact center of the player's view. The result is that melee attacks are less satisfying and more difficult to land. This is a common issue in Hexen mods.
Daedolon13

Post by Daedolon13 »

Just started playing this and am enjoying it so far. Just have a quick question, did you change the item name of the quartz flask? I have a bind sent to "use artihealth" that works in vanilla Hexen, but doesn't seem to work with this mod.
4page

Post by 4page »

Daedolon13 yeah, I had to replace the artihealth with a random spawner to spawn the quartz flasks and the monster flasks in a 50% split. The quartz flask item are now named "artihealth1". Now that you bring it up I should figure out if I can come up with a way to create custom binds for using the quartz and monster flasks and the new flechettes.
Rip and Tear

Post by Rip and Tear »

4page wrote:Daedolon13 yeah, I had to replace the artihealth with a random spawner to spawn the quartz flasks and the monster flasks in a 50% split. The quartz flask item are now named "artihealth1". Now that you bring it up I should figure out if I can come up with a way to create custom binds for using the quartz and monster flasks and the new flechettes.
You can add keybindings to the option menu with KEYCONF.

Example from my mod

Return to “Gameplay Mods”