Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
bendix-hyde

Re: Hideous Destructor

Post by bendix-hyde »

Caligari87 wrote:@bendix-hyde: I think the base weapons are pretty set at the moment. There's been some talk about modding in a lever-action .355 cowboy rifle (somewhat more damage and accuracy due to the longer barrel helping the round go faster), which I think would be the most fun option since you could use the same ammo for both your primary and your secondary. Unfortunately no one's really done it yet.

8-)
Hot damn, that would be fun. I love lever guns.
Here's hoping someone does it, heck, it might pop up as an addon by Potetobloke in the future
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

if someone provides the sprites i might make it.
DrunkenSailor

Post by DrunkenSailor »

Is the discord server active/alive? There is no link in the main post and every invite link I found in this topic is outdated.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Yes, moreso than this thread actually! :laff:

Here's a new invite link: https://discord.gg/Cfef6jE

8-)
DrunkenSailor

Post by DrunkenSailor »

Thanks! Why don't you guys put it in the main post as well?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

OP updated.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Matt wrote:
This has been resolved, but for the benefit of those who aren't on the Discord: no one else could replicate it and it went away when GooseJelly made a "fresh" folder to try it in.

My primary suspicion is some kind of caching problem on his end that was preventing a corrupted copy of HD from being overwritten correctly.

However, one alternative possibility is that there's something in the ini that could somehow cause this. Can't imagine what though.
I'd like to revisit this:

I can replicate it on HD 4.2.4a with GZDoom 4.2.4 (also GZDoom 4.2.0) on a fresh .ini by setting hd_maglimit to anything higher than 0.

It also happens on the current version of Master.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.2.4a

Post by Matt »

What exactly are you picking up that causes this? (or better yet, can you give a step-by-step breakdown of how to reproduce this?)

EDIT: Nevermind, got it. Will fix in a bit. I'm pretty sure this is a brand new issue not something revisited.

Fixed. For what it's worth, it was only crashing when picking up non-HDMagAmmo items while HDMagAmmo items were working as intended.
Gollgagh

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.2.4a

Post by Gollgagh »

Awesome, thanks for the quick fix.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.2.4b

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Highlights for 4.2.4b:
  • Lots of maintenance bugfixes and fixes for new features.
  • Bullet damage recalculated, SMG given some QoL buffs to compensate including a "fireswitch" loadout parameter that lets you skip burst (or use only burst).
  • Jetpack! Code is "jet".
  • New backpack loadout configuration method! After "bak" and before the next unbackpacked item, list the contents separated by periods, e.g. "z66, bak smg. 915 5. hrp, awg"
  • New hd_hudstyle user cvar lets you stick with the mugshot or no mugshot independently of your screenblocks.
  • Removed some old cruft that has long outlived its value.
  • Players are now subject to terminal velocity when falling, and can damage enemies by slamming into them.
  • New Keen lizard baby replacement in Freedoom.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

So, an incredibly amusing bug was discovered for 4.2.4b. It's already been patched in the master, but I find that it's so much fun that i'll post how to mess with it here.

1. get 2 pistols and 2 vulcanettes (preferably, the latter is fully loaded)
2. switch both vulcanettes to fuller auto mode
3. drop the pistols and vulcanettes
4. pick up the pistols and then the vulcanettes
5. switch to the pistol and then switch to your backup pistol (you know, the altreload thing)
6. have fun
Matt

Post by Matt »

Call for input!

1. Passive mag consolidation between levels

How many people rely on this, or at least find it helpful?
I'm trying not to add a new user cvar to turn it on or off, so if no one actually wants this feature I can get rid of it.

2. Reloading buttons

Are there any issues with how reload/unload are treated, and have there been any inconsistencies or irregularities that have bothered anyone for a while? I'll probably end up doing nothing on this front, but it had occurred to me that sometimes mag-retain versus mag-drop reloads are a bit needlessly finicky to do while under fire.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

On the topic of reloading, i find that it's a little odd that the default with reloading the boss is to keep the empty clip, especially considering the point of a clip is, well, that it's a cheap piece of crap that you don't necessarily have to keep
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

1. As noted in Discord, I've not relied on this since manual mag repacking got added. Sometimes it's a nice surprise when I go to a new level but otherwise I just do it myself.

2. Reload should not imply unload I mean uh... ahem... Personally I don't have a problem with "tap to drop, hold to retain". Did you have a different paradigm in mind?

8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Tartlman wrote:On the topic of reloading, i find that it's a little odd that the default with reloading the boss is to keep the empty clip
Caligari87 wrote:Personally I don't have a problem with "tap to drop, hold to retain".
Based on this I think I'll add a tap-to-drop, hold-to-retain when stripper-clipping the Boss.

My issue with tap-drop-hold-retain is that the risk of accidentally holding under pressure is highest exactly when you need maximum mobility and not to waste time pocketing a mag. It's never clearly caused me to screw up, but it does leave a bit of trepidation every time I reach for the reload key in the middle of a firefight... but then that might not be inappropriate either, nor the notion that someone accidentally performs a more complex action (pocket) than a simpler one (drop) just because they're more used to it.

...... yeah, I think I'll leave it as is.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”