Deathmatch Simulator - This Mod Has Moved. See OP For Details.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP Release] Deathmatch Simulator (08/12/19 - Build 02

Post by theroguemonk »

no i didnt mean ordinary mod... i meant this mod only without time limit and so you can play it normally i WOULD LOVE THAT! i love the gameplay and challenge and feel of this mod.. i just want to be able to take my own time and go to the end of each level ..
can you please do that?
also it would be cool if you could make a monster mod that we could use these bots with any mod

amazing mod ! its so dang fun.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

You are doing a great job on that Kinsie, it really brings back memories for some reason I just can't tell yet :)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Latest Stable Release - Build 03 (16.5mb)

MONSTER CHANGES:
  • General: Monsters can now trigger "Sector Action: Actor Hits Floor" actors that are set up to be effected by players, since these are commonly used to kill or teleport players that go out of bounds. This is togglable in the DM Sim menu.
  • ????? ????: Added to the Hard spawn list! Merry Wednesday!

ITEM CHANGES:
  • Time Sphere: Added as an Area Map replacement! Replaced by HasteSphere in multi.
  • Fuel Canister: New pickup sound.
MAP CHANGES:
  • FDM01: Replaced HasteSphere with TimeSphere.
  • FDM02: Replaced Flamethrower in temple with Timesphere.
  • FDM02: Replaced Rocket Launcher near ruins with Flamethrower.
  • FDM02: Replaced Grenade Launcher in ruins with Rocket Launcher.
  • FDM02: Added Grenade Launcher to temple.
  • FDM05: Added some more texture detail to the buildings.
  • FDM05: Added a TimeSphere somewhere where you won't find it...
  • D5M1: Added some holiday spirit...

MISC. CHANGES:
  • Updated the HUD to display weapon slots and ammo totals.
  • Renamed explosion sprites to avoid sprite conflict with custom mapsets.
  • Removed duplicate Rocket Launcher sprites.
  • Explosive Barrels now have their original delay before exploding.
  • Timer is no longer visible when HUD is disabled.
  • Converted Jimmy's smallfont to the modern Unicode font format, making it play nicer with custom mapsets that override the smallfont.
  • Respawn/Teleport fog looks a little nicer, and has a different sound when teleporting instead of respawning.
  • Laid a bit of groundwork for the Fake Voice Chat system (removed in stable release)
  • Moved most monster/key removal to an event handler for greater universality.
  • Added a proper CREDIT graphic.
Hetdegon

Re: Deathmatch Simulator (18/12/19 - Build 03 p4)

Post by Hetdegon »

This is really fun, and a good way to make use of those DM maps I hardly have time to play as intended nowadays.
I kinda wish one could separate the fake DM logic from the player/weapons and attach any general weapons mod (even if some tweaking is needed), but it's still pretty fun to play as-is, the provided arsenal is standard fare but satisfying to use in general.
Anyway, pretty good job, having the fake bots with their own "archetypes" is a pretty fun way to handle them being dumb AIs and makes it more interesting than just spawning a bunch of bots. Definitely looking forward to see how it evolves.
PS: Please don't remove the Santas after the holidays.
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

please putt he latest updates in front of hte page like other mods so we dont miss your work....

i still wish for a mode where its not timed aso i you can finish levels on your own.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

theroguemonk wrote:please putt he latest updates in front of hte page like other mods so we dont miss your work....
The OP is updated every time the mod is updated. The page of the latest release is also noted in the thread title.
theroguemonk wrote:i still wish for a mode where its not timed aso i you can finish levels on your own.
That's not this mod's focus. If someone else wants to do these weird player-esque monsters in a more traditional single-player gameplay mod or mapset, well, odds are they'll do it way better than I ever could. :)
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Wait a minute, i don't think anyone thought of asking this: what about the BOBs or Simulacrums from Marathon?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Just tried build03 and I love it, awesome work Kinsie :) A few suggestions though:
  • TITLEPIC is not widescreen friendly, maybe you could turn it into a TITLEMAP instead
  • Not sure about the current AI, but the enemies are often running around bopping into walls instead of fighting enemies
  • Adding the original WAD name in the intermission screen from where the included maps originally are would be coo - nice to know
  • Adding some more maps from classic WAD packs would be cool (TNT compilations, DWANGO compilations and so on)
  • Adding some more bots from other classic 90's shooters would be cool, as you already did with Duke and Blood (where is Caleb? :))
By the way, does this also work with other deathmatch map packs?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Tormentor667 wrote:By the way, does this also work with other deathmatch map packs?
If they have a Player 1 spawn so the map loads in single player, they should totally work. I've even tried to account for Skulltag actors!
Rua Gubs

Post by Rua Gubs »

Hey Kinsie, I found a bug with the current build of DM sim.

When starting up a map that has monsters, the moster count dosen't get wiped to zero. Despite there being no monsters.

This causes problems on maps with large monster counts because no DM monsters will spawn and the console will spam errors like this:
Spoiler:
This happens on any WAD with amy map that has a large monster count. However, this dosen't happen on prevoius versons of Deathmatch Simulator. So a recent addition to the code must have buggered something up somewhere.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Rua Gubs wrote:Hey Kinsie, I found a bug with the current build of DM sim.

When starting up a map that has monsters, the moster count dosen't get wiped to zero. Despite there being no monsters.

This causes problems on maps with large monster counts because no DM monsters will spawn and the console will spam errors like this:
Spoiler:
This happens on any WAD with amy map that has a large monster count. However, this dosen't happen on prevoius versons of Deathmatch Simulator. So a recent addition to the code must have buggered something up somewhere.
Eek! Thanks for the heads-up. I've put out a new version that fixes this while also removing the Xmas stuff from the previous release.

Download Build 03.1
MONSTER CHANGES:
  • Santa: Removed from the spawn lists.
MAP CHANGES:
  • FDM05: Removed holiday spirit.
MISC. CHANGES:
  • Fixed issue where monsters would not spawn on maps that originally had more than 50 monsters in vanilla gameplay. Derp.
Hetdegon

Re: Deathmatch Simulator (03/01/20 - Build 03.1 p4)

Post by Hetdegon »

Noo! Not Santa! (*Single tear*)
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Some minor updates from the development build side of things:

First, that whole thing where you couldn't play maps that didn't have a Player 1 start has been fixed, thanks to the wonder and magic of the new LevelPostProcessor system.

Secondly, also thanks to LevelPostProcessor, the system to make multiplayer-only actors appear in single player has been rewritten to not clobber actor flags. Hooray!

Finally, jumping back to Torm's post from a while back...
Tormentor667 wrote:Adding some more maps from classic WAD packs would be cool (TNT compilations, DWANGO compilations and so on)
I'd love to add more classic multiplayer maps, both from Doom WADs (with the appropriate permissions in their readme of course) and other FPS games, but I'd love to get some suggestions about where to drive this bus. If you're suggesting a map from a game that isn't Doom, then bonus points if top-down maps and 3D map viewers or editors are available!
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

hmmm Just out of curiosity, do the bots get damaged by environmental hazards (lava/slime) like player does?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

neoworm wrote:hmmm Just out of curiosity, do the bots get damaged by environmental hazards (lava/slime) like player does?
Yep! They'll also make a vague (and often not entirely successful) attempt to not walk into them.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”