Ultimate Doom Builder

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: Ultimate Doom Builder

Post by Enjay »

Does the updater work when called from the help menu? I tried it and nothing seemed to happen. When I double click the updater directly it does stuff (one time it updated, other times it tells me I'm already up to date).
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

ZZYZX wrote: Almost three years have passed since I forked GZDB and continued it's maintenance.
Heck. Yeah. Now this is a real banger release near the end of 2019.

ZZYZX, Would you want this to be a page on the ZDoom wiki? It has enough new features to be considered differently from its source material :)
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Updater from the menu does nothing if you are up-to-date. I'm not sure if this is the correct behavior (i.e. if it did so before, it's clearly not correct anyway).
I think it doesn't show anything because literally the same action is called automatically on startup, and you are not expecting "you are up-to-date" every time you run the editor.
Also, fixed highlighting in 2D mode. It was accidentally dropped during refactoring :roll:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ZZYZX wrote:Updater from the menu does nothing if you are up-to-date. I'm not sure if this is the correct behavior (i.e. if it did so before, it's clearly not correct anyway).
If things are up to date, GZDB does this:

but UDB seems to do nothing at all - either when an update was available or when it wasn't.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

That's... weird. Works for me. Not sure. Will try to understand what's going on later.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Given that you have just updated to fix the highlighting (thank you) I was able to test.

UDB did nothing obvious when asking the help menu to check for updates but double-clicking the updater got me the update. A also wonder, therefore, if the automatic update checker will be working from within UDB?
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

Enjay wrote:Given that you have just updated to fix the highlighting (thank you) I was able to test.

UDB did nothing obvious when asking the help menu to check for updates but double-clicking the updater got me the update. A also wonder, therefore, if the automatic update checker will be working from within UDB?
It does have the auto-updater, I downloaded the update immediately after I opened it up.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

I found the issue. It was a leftover file from Mono which would not work on regular .NET.
This file was not included in the setup...
So if you ran fresh UDB from the setup, then your installation would auto-update, otherwise not.

Fixed. For the last time you will need to update manually.
Redneckerz wrote:ZZYZX, Would you want this to be a page on the ZDoom wiki? It has enough new features to be considered differently from its source material :)
I'm too tired to write any pages :wink: Whatever, honestly.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

ZZYZX wrote:Fixed. For the last time you will need to update manually.
And done:
Thank you. :)
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

ZZYZX wrote: I'm too tired to write any pages :wink: Whatever, honestly.
This is why i offered to do it :) So if that's okay with you... :wink:
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Redneckerz wrote:This is why i offered to do it :) So if that's okay with you... :wink:
I'm too tired to understand proper English either. Thanks :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

So with DX gone, will this become officially cross-platform, with Mac and Linux builds? (Or perhaps just Linux builds because Macs suck at OpenGL now and Apple is the worst.)
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team

Post by Redneckerz »

ZZYZX wrote:
Redneckerz wrote:This is why i offered to do it :) So if that's okay with you... :wink:
I'm too tired to understand proper English either. Thanks :D
Haha, i understand. Ill see to it. Thank you for the multiple years of effort undertaking this work for level designers and editors alike. 8-)
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Gez wrote:So with DX gone, will this become officially cross-platform, with Mac and Linux builds? (Or perhaps just Linux builds because Macs suck at OpenGL now and Apple is the worst.)
I don't feel like building Mono now or anytime in the next week.
Maybe sometime later when I get a proper Linux environment instead of headless VM we could have a native build. Theoretically that should be supported with mono versions of the projects (already existing, were added by Talon I believe?)

For now, this version works on WINE without any issues (judging by the reports).
Last edited by ZZYZX on Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I just tried UDB on a map with complicated architecture and loads of things and models. In GZDB working in 3D mode with things active was difficult because performance was so poor (toggling things off allowed it to run quickly enough).

In UDB it still slows down and chokes a bit when moving around the map but once most areas had been seen, I was actually able to navigate around the map at a reasonable speed with things still visible. i.e. it was far more usable and far easier to edit this particular map.

In other words, for me the performance improvement is quite noticeable. :thumb:

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”