Deimos Seven

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReX

Deimos Seven

Post by ReX »

Deimos Seven is a vanilla-DooM-compatible map intended for single player use, and fills Episode 2 Map 7 of The Ultimate DooM. In keeping with the difficulty level of the original DooM levels, this is somewhat moderate in the challenge it presents. It is a non-linear map that offers alternative paths, visible areas that may only be accessed later, and some back-tracking.

Text file is here
Download zip file is here
deimos7_03.jpg
deimos7_04.jpg
deimos7_08.jpg
Enjay

Re: Deimos Seven

Post by Enjay »

Well that was good fun; another map from the master of sweeping curves. :D

As far as I can tell, it all worked exactly as it was meant to. It definitely has a Deimos-like feel to it. I thought that the progression was well done and even though there was some non-linearity, I never felt that I was wandering aimlessly or didn't have a purpose in where I was going - quite a tough balance to pull off.

It's also really refreshing to get some nice new mapping content. I'm not trying to denigrate the various gameplay mods that exist but in recent months/years so much of the new Doom content seems to have been yet another weapons/blood/monster remix (often recycling stuff from other, similar mods - but there are some very notable and original exceptions, of course) but with nothing new to actually explore and play through. For me, new maps have always been the most valuable and fun part of the Doom modding scene and this is a really nice addition.

:thumb:
ReX

Post by ReX »

Enjay wrote:... sweeping curves...
All that practice at Le Mans :wink:
... this is a really nice addition. :thumb:
Thanks, boss.
skdursh

Post by skdursh »

Enjay wrote: It's also really refreshing to get some nice new mapping content. I'm not trying to denigrate the various gameplay mods that exist but in recent months/years so much of the new Doom content seems to have been yet another weapons/blood/monster remix (often recycling stuff from other, similar mods - but there are some very notable and original exceptions, of course) but with nothing new to actually explore and play through. For me, new maps have always been the most valuable and fun part of the Doom modding scene and this is a really nice addition.
Look on other forums besides just Zdoom. There are tons of new maps being posted all the time on Moddb, Doomworld, iddqd, Doomer.Boards and elsewhere.
Doomkid

Post by Doomkid »

This is an extremely fun classic style map!

I played through it almost twice - I got stuck in a weird way, there's a secret that triggers a green armor door, but I tried to open the door too soon or something and got completely stuck. Here's a demo I recorded in DosBox: https://doomshack.org/uploads/DK_REX.LMP

I very dumbly typed "0record" rather than "-record" on my actual playthrough, so unfortunately only one of two attempts was saved, the one with a much less satisfying ending.

Either way, this was pretty much an example of my favorite kind of map. It feels very authentic to Ultimate Doom, but it's a bit cleaner overall and more refined. The blind enemies was an interesting touch. It was kind of like shooting fish in a barrel at times, but I like that now and again, so no complaints here. Well done.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

What a fun little map. Thank you for the 20 minutes of joy I got from it! Beginning is rough if you take the left fork and lose 75 health right at the beginning. HMP.
ReX

Post by ReX »

Doomkid wrote:This is an extremely fun classic style map!
The blind enemies was an interesting touch...
Thanks for the hearty endorsement, Chunga!
Btw, what are "blind enemies", and where did you encounter them?
Project Dark Fox wrote:What a fun little map. Thank you for the 20 minutes of joy I got from it! Beginning is rough if you take the left fork and lose 75 health right at the beginning. HMP.
Thank you, too, PDF.
Yes, the left fork has more hit-scanners, requiring a little more caution. The up-side is that you pick up a whole lot more ammo.
demo_the_man

Post by demo_the_man »

Really liked the map! Good difficulty and a very great layout.
ReX

Post by ReX »

demo_the_man wrote:Really liked the map!
Thank you.
... very great layout.
I think map design and layout brings me greater joy nowadays than any other aspect of modding.
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

Fun map, I enjoyed how it wrapped around and the multiple paths:
ReX

Post by ReX »

Kills_Alone wrote:Fun map, I enjoyed how it wrapped around and the multiple paths:
[YouTube]
Thanks for the very enjoyable video. You're a far better player than me, and it was fun to watch the way you destroyed the enemies!
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I am always happy to see a release from you as it is guaranteed to be entertaining solid work :) Just played through this and I really liked every aspect of it. It perfectly fits into the Deimos episode, well done Rex. The usual quality from you!
ReX

Post by ReX »

Tormentor667 wrote:... happy... guaranteed to be entertaining solid work... really liked every aspect of it... perfectly fits into the Deimos episode... well done... usual quality
You're embarrassing me, Daniel. But thank you.
vitriolicv

Post by vitriolicv »

E2M7 should have been this good in the first place! Excellent map.
ReX

Post by ReX »

vitriolicv wrote:E2M7 should have been this good in the first place!
You flatter me, but I disagree. I consider the original E2M7 to be one of the finest maps in the original DooM, and likely unmatched by user-created mods of the era.
Excellent map.
Thank you.

Return to “Levels”