[v1.0] Gomorrah - A UDMF mapset powered by OTEX

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
MFG38
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[v1.0] Gomorrah - A UDMF mapset powered by OTEX

Post by MFG38 »

INTRODUCTION

Gomorrah is a GZDoom mapset consisting of 6 brand-new maps, powered by ukiro's amazing OTEX texture set. In Gomorrah, you'll be traversing three different locations - an abandoned mine/techbase, a medieval castle and a fortress in Hell - in search of three skull keys. Each skull key is going to be locked behind a puzzle which you'll have to solve. Once you have all three of them, you must use them to open a gate beyond which lies your final challenge.
IWAD: doom2.wad
Port: GZDoom (4.2.0 or later)
Map #: MAP01-06
Mode(s): Single-player only
Difficulty settings: Not implemented... per se
Tested with: GZDoom 4.3.3 & 4.4.2
Estimated play time: 40-60 minutes
Features:
  • 5 playable maps, each with a distinct theme + a hub map
  • An experience that mixes classic Doom gameplay with puzzles
  • Checkpoint system with multiple exits per level
  • A fully original soundtrack by Yours Truly
DOWNLOADS

v1.0 of Gomorrah is out! It can be downloaded from the following locations:
MFG38's Fun Hub: https://mfg38.github.io/files/doom_wads/gomorrah.zip
Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8lb1wzg520dk ... h.zip?dl=0
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19eR_zn ... sp=sharing

OTHER LINKS

Soundtrack album: https://mfg38.bandcamp.com/album/gomorrah-ost

SCREENSHOTS
Spoiler:
Last edited by MFG38 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:34 am, edited 9 times in total.
PFL

Re: [WIP] Gomorrah - A UDMF mapset powered by OTEX

Post by PFL »

Awesome
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

Progress on Gomorrah has been kinda slow lately, but I have gotten some work done on the Hell map this week. Screenshots of what I managed to conjure up are in the spoiler below.
Spoiler:
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Damn sexy!
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

Just to let everyone know that this project is still not dead, here are a few screenshots from the beginnings of MAP04.
Spoiler:
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

PRIMEVAL wrote:Damn sexy!
I don't know what's so sexy about pitch black. MAP02 to MAP04 are just darkness for me.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, people really need to learn that they cannot post in-game screenshots with unadjusted gamma. On most monitors this gets totally crushed to black.
Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone »

"Man, so dark in here -- I'm doomed." —Domasi "Tommy" Tawodi
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

With 2019 drawing to a close in a week, I figured I should write up a short update post regarding this project.

In summary, the situation is that Gomorrah is still pretty heavily WIP. Most of the maps' layouts are nowhere near finished, not to mention that I haven't even gotten around to implementing gameplay for them. Thus, contrary to what I maybe-sort-of-not-really-promised, the project will unfortunately not be in a playable state by the turn of the year.

The fact of the matter is that I tend to work on things on a whenever-the-inspiration-strikes sort of basis, and as far as Gomorrah is concerned, I've been experiencing a lack of inspiration for it over the past couple weeks. But worry not, for this project is by no means dead! I'm determined to bring it to the finish line and not scrap it, especially since I feel like this project is outdoing everything Doom-related I've done prior.

In light of this, I've extended the "deadline" for a playtest-ready version of Gomorrah to early summer of 2020. Of course, given my general work ethic and regular shifts in the so-called Big Thing, it's still subject to change. But rest assured that you'll be able to get your hands on some version of Gomorrah next year - I'll make doubly sure of that!

Also, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

A quick update thingamajig to announce that the OST for Gomorrah is now underway!

I happened to randomly boot up my DAW yesterday, and what was initially just me messing about ended up turning into the first original soundtrack piece for the mapset. And today, with inspiration carried over from last night, I composed a second music track!

I also put together a little preview of the OST for my YouTube channel - see the spoiler below for the video. (You can ignore the actual video and just listen to the music; the accompanying footage is merely a screenshot slideshow.)
Spoiler:
As for the mapping side of things, progress continues to be slow but steady, in case anyone's wondering.
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

With the announcement of my school being closed indefinitely, I'm thinking I'll make use of the extra time I have today with a Gomorrah mapping stream. You have just under 2 hours to prepare, place is gonna be https://www.twitch.tv/mfg38. Keep an eye peeled.
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

Going live very shortly! https://www.twitch.tv/mfg38
Van Daemon

Post by Van Daemon »

Looks awesome I love the ambience good job :wink:
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

Van Daemon wrote:Looks awesome I love the ambience good job :wink:
Much appreciated! c:
MFG38

Post by MFG38 »

It is with a heavy heart that I have to announce that Gomorrah has been cance- oh wait, it's not April Fools Day anymore...

In all seriousness, Gomorrah was on hold for a while as I worked on a few other things - namely the randomizer mod Vandomizer, which saw a v1.0 release yesterday, and a map for the community project Isolation - but I've gone back to smashing away at this mapset again. In fact, I just finished the layout for MAP02! Once I implement the gameplay for that map, that leaves only MAP04 to do, as well as any visual/gameplay tweaks I can think of.

If I can keep up a steady pace and not get distracted by other projects, it's looking like Gomorrah will be in a playtest-ready state just in time for the beginning of summer! I hope you're all as excited to play it as I am to share it with you!

Also, mandatory teaser screenshot:
Spoiler:

Return to “Levels”