Responsive Weapons + Faster Weapon Switching

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Responsive Weapons + Faster Weapon Switching

Post by NightFright »

Does this also happen with Nevander's original version? I know I applied a change to the shotgun code regarding how to stop sound. However I assumed playing a silent sound or stopping the existing sound is the same. Unless the silent sound was special and supposed to be like that for a reason.
Agitatio
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Agitatio »

NightFright wrote:Does this also happen with Nevander's original version?
Yes.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Ok, then I guess it will be kinda difficult to fix. I just imitated the original code. Maybe Nevander can do something about it, even though it's a rather minor issue. May not even be possible to fix due to the shotgun sound including fire and pumping.

TBH at least to me the "pump interruption" feature in this mod is not so important since I never need it. Guess I am so used to the old animations that I can't force myself to use the shotguns in ways that were not intended.
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

I don't get how slower-shooting guns is in any way part of any challenge in doom; if anything, they handle like trash and are painfully slow and dull, so changing the pace to make them more responsive doesn't really make a difference.
site
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by site »

NightFright, would it be possible to make a fork that takes out the shotgun reload intervention and make the berserk fist switching vanilla style, as in all it does is just removing the delays, or would that require a rebuild from the ground up? I like not having the delays, but the other stuff kinda hurts more than they help from my play experience

edit: okay, i think i manged to do it myself by looking at your 1.21 version for the berserk fix and seeing that all you did was have one line commented out in 1.22 to stop the fist from popping up, so i reversed that, and then i commented out only the lines dealing with ShotgunChecker to kill the interruption feature. I hope that's right, but from a quick test it seemed to work...
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.3 released

Post by NightFright »

A bit late, but I thought I'd throw in a few more things. Actually, it's adding one thing (Heretic support) and removing two things from Doom (since I agree with site's approach). If you don't like the changes, just stay with v1.22.

Changelog v1.3:
[HERETIC] Support added (faster weapon switching only)
[DOOM] Berserk switching to fists on pickup again
[DOOM] Removed possibility to interrupt shotgun animations
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons (v1.3)
(13.22 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
bLUEbYTE
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: Version 1.3 released

Post by bLUEbYTE »

NightFright wrote:A bit late, but I thought I'd throw in a few more things. Actually, it's adding one thing (Heretic support) and removing two things from Doom (since I agree with site's approach). If you don't like the changes, just stay with v1.22.

Changelog v1.3:
[HERETIC] Support added (faster weapon switching only)
[DOOM] Berserk switching to fists on pickup again
[DOOM] Removed possibility to interrupt shotgun animations
Great. Would you consider integrating the quicker weapon switch & removal of firing delays into your viewtopic.php?f=43&t=32628 ? IMO that would make the perfect vanilla enhanced weapon mod.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Post in that thread and ask Nash about it, I'd say. ZScript is out of my control since I can't handle it (yet). As far as I am concerned, both features can be added if possible.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.4 released

Post by NightFright »

Inspired by my recent work on the Smooth Weapons Enhanced mod, I decided to apply some final touches to this one, too. It's basically a 1:1 conversion to ZScript with some additional options implemented as read-only switches.

Available options (in "Player Setup" menu):
- "Weapon switching speed": Choose between 1x (normal), 2x or 3x weapon switching speed. This is the only option available in both Doom and Heretic. Default: 2x (just like before)
- "Weapon firing delays": Firing delays for pistol and shotguns. Obviously only for Doom. Default: Off (just like before)
- "Fistless berserk": Avoid switching to fists when entering berserk mode. Obviously only for Doom. Default: Off (vanilla style)

Variable changes will be reset after leaving the game. This was done to keep it "ini friendly", i.e. without any additional CVAR entries saved to your GZDoom ini file. In theory, it is now completely possible to play the mod with vanilla settings (with switching speed set to "Normal", firing delays to "On" and fistless berserk to "Off"), but then you wouldn't need this mod, so it's rather there for you to check the differences without having to unload the mod first.

CHANGELOG v1.4 (Jan 24, 2020)
Note: Requires GZDoom 4.3.0 or later
[GENERAL] Converted DECORATE to ZScript
[GENERAL] Added "Weapon switching speed" option under "Player Setup" to switch between "Normal", "2x" (default) or "3x" (CVAR not archived)
[DOOM] Added options under "Player Setup" (CVARs not archived): "Weapon firing delays" (toggles firing delays for pistol and shotguns), "Fistless berserk" (toggles switching to fists when picking up Berserk)

I am not sure if the ZScript conversion has any direct benefits, but at least it is not necessary to replace the player class any longer (only weapons are swapped), so maybe that's a small advantage. I guess the option switches also wouldn't have been possible without ZScript.
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons v1.4
(30.46 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Last edited by NightFright on Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.5 released

Post by NightFright »

And because it's so much fun, Hexen support has been added! Note that by renaming "Weapon firing delays" to "Responsive weapons", CVAR default has changed from "false" ("Off") to "true" ("On").

CHANGELOG v1.5 (Jan 27, 2020)
[HEXEN] Support added
[GENERAL] Renamed "Weapon firing delays" option to "Reponsive weapons" (Doom) / "Responsive Sapphire Wand" (Hexen)
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons v1.5
(40.76 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.6 released

Post by NightFright »

Two more games (with code similar to Doom due to easy portability) supported: Freedoom (Phase 1+2) and Chex Quest 3! Now the requirement for GZD 4.3.0 is actually finally justified since mixins are used.

CHANGELOG v1.6 (Jan 29, 2020)
[CHEX3] [FREEDOOM] Support added
[GENERAL] ZScript code optimizations (mixins implemented)

Download removed, updated version below
Last edited by NightFright on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.61 released

Post by NightFright »

When playing Hexen, I noticed that after collecting all weapon pieces, the ultimate weapon would still lower with normal speed, ignoring any mod settings. This did not happen during testing when I used the NRA cheat. However, I found out what was causing it: It's basically because ultimate weapons are not picked up directly, so the script couldn't find any pickups to replace. Now it checks whether you have the unmodded weapon in your inventory and if so, it's replaced then.

UPDATE #2, Feb 5
Minor ZScript code optimizations added for all supported games retroactively; please redownload.

UPDATE #1, Jan 31
Minor Heretic code optimizations added retroactively; please redownload.

CHANGELOG v1.61 (Feb 5, 2020)
[GENERAL] ZScript code optimizations (needless code removed)
[HEXEN] Fix for ultimate weapons not being replaced properly after collecting all pieces
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons v1.61 (Update #2)
(38.58 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Last edited by NightFright on Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTDsphere

Re: Version 1.61 released

Post by DTDsphere »

NightFright wrote:When playing Hexen, I noticed that after collecting all weapon pieces, the ultimate weapon would still lower with normal speed, ignoring any mod settings. This did not happen during testing when I used the NRA cheat. However, I found out what was causing it: It's basically because ultimate weapons are not picked up directly, so the script couldn't find any pickups to replace. Now it checks whether you have the unmodded weapon in your inventory and if so, it's replaced then.

UPDATE #2, Feb 5
Minor ZScript code optimizations added for all supported games retroactively; please redownload.

UPDATE #1, Jan 31
Minor Heretic code optimizations added retroactively; please redownload.

CHANGELOG v1.61 (Feb 5, 2020)
[GENERAL] ZScript code optimizations (needless code removed)
[HEXEN] Fix for ultimate weapons not being replaced properly after collecting all pieces

Damn, amazing work dude. This is absolutely stunning!
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Thanks! It's pretty much the same code in Heretic and Hexen as in Doom, just with different weapons. Hexen was a bit trickier since the slot 4 weapon doesn't exist as a pickup directly ingame, only in inventory after all pieces are collected.

I wanted to do it for Hacx too, but editing weapons that already inherit from others doesn't seem to be as easy as I thought. People rarely play Hacx these days, anyway. It's remarkable how much playability profits from this small adjustment. I'd almost like to have this as a native menu option in GZDoom.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Version 1.62 released

Post by NightFright »

Optional faster reload for Shotgun and Super Shotgun added in Doom/Doom2 (and Large Zorcher in Chex). I tried to increase speed only modestly to not mess up reload animations and get too much out of sync with reload sounds. Reload should be around 20% faster with this option activated. Anyway, please note that activating this is ofc considered cheating and default setting is off.

CHANGELOG v1.62
[DOOM] Option added for faster shotguns reload (SG: -5 tics / SSG: -9 tics)
[CHEX] Option added for faster Large Zorcher reload (-5 tics)
Attachments
fastweapons.pk3
Faster Weapons v1.62
(38.11 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Return to “Gameplay Mods”