The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
dpJudas

Re: The Still New What Did You Last Do Thread

Post by dpJudas »

It can also mean poison in danish. We just happen to think marriage is more or less the same thing. ;)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

phantombeta wrote: The behaviour of Tick is pretty well defined, so there's no reason why it'd break like that.
The behavior is well defined, but it's also complex. Aside from moving actors it also applies friction, so calling it 20x in a row will not only make the actor move 20 steps, it will also apply slowdown by friction 20x.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I really dig Doom movement, why is it so cool? Even modern games don't feel that good. I also like quake 1 movement but I would prefer doom any day.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I think part of the charm of Doom's movement is the momentum. AKA the slippery movement. It's unique to classic Doom and it works so well with the gameplay allowed within the confines of the engine.

Modern games have realistic movement and they feel weight-y and grounded; basically every modern production favours weight and realism as part of their presentation and aesthetics.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

dpJudas wrote:It can also mean poison in danish. We just happen to think marriage is more or less the same thing. ;)
Interesting. I would never see it that way, as I an forever completely and totally in love and happy with my wife now and in Eternity. But I can imagine if you marry the wrong toxic person (like someone abusive) out of child lock or something... that would have potential for awfulness.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Nash wrote:I think part of the charm of Doom's movement is the momentum. AKA the slippery movement. It's unique to classic Doom and it works so well with the gameplay allowed within the confines of the engine.

Modern games have realistic movement and they feel weight-y and grounded; basically every modern production favours weight and realism as part of their presentation and aesthetics.
This. Doom's movement is extremely slidey - it a couple seconds to go from full speed to a stop. It feels more natural to me, either because I play doom too much or because it's similar to the way you gradually slow down your run to stop in real life.

Probably the former.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Drew myself a new avatar.

It's... kind of terrifying.
It's staring into my soul.

oh god.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Tartlman wrote:
Nash wrote:I think part of the charm of Doom's movement is the momentum. AKA the slippery movement. It's unique to classic Doom and it works so well with the gameplay allowed within the confines of the engine.

This. Doom's movement is extremely slidey - it a couple seconds to go from full speed to a stop. It feels more natural to me, either because I play doom too much or because it's similar to the way you gradually slow down your run to stop in real life.

Probably the former.

Yes, I love Carmack Physics. Strafe Jumping in Quake 3 / Champions is actually something I crave from time to time. It's hard to explain.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

SouthernLion wrote:Yes, I love Carmack Physics. Strafe Jumping in Quake 3 / Champions is actually something I crave from time to time. It's hard to explain.
For me, it's when you perfectly line up your jump to hit a ledge at the crest of your jump. It feels so goddamn smooth
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

"heh, i wonder what happens if i put the terrifying avatar through content aware scale-"

i like this. this is fine.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

DaVinci Resolve might be a tricky program to use, but it's totally worth it.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I am *really* hurting financially... like I'm going to end up in the streets if I don't get more income. Does anybody know of any legitimate "work from home" jobs, like data entry or something I can do to supplement income? Uber and other driving jobs are out of the question for now, because of the year of my car and my current driving record.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I suddenly got inspired to create low-poly, textureless (mostly) models of the miniatures from Space Crusade.
Purge the Xenos!

ImageImage Image
irontusk341
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by irontusk341 »

SouthernLion wrote:I am *really* hurting financially... like I'm going to end up in the streets if I don't get more income. Does anybody know of any legitimate "work from home" jobs, like data entry or something I can do to supplement income? Uber and other driving jobs are out of the question for now, because of the year of my car and my current driving record.
Amazon might have some work... Fed ex used to allow jobs from home where you do a lot of labeling... UBER, LYFT if you have a personal vehicle... Making youtube videos and get enough audience to allow youtube to open Monetization up for you videos which you can make money from ads, and finally get yourself a patreon following and a Twitch account for your live steam play.. those should help you scrape out enough to keep a roof on your head.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Made more stuff!

Return to “Off-Topic”