QZDoom Testing (01-20-2023)

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

QZDoom Testing (01-20-2023)

Post by Major Cooke »

As some of you may have noticed on Discord, QZDoom devbuilds have begun to roll out recently.

These contain a selected 'batch' of features that have been merged into QZDoom for testing, and they certainly could use it. The sooner they're tested, the sooner bugs can be culled and the feature can be certified as ready for GZDoom itself.

Since they're in batches, not all of them have been pulled in yet to ensure QZDoom can keep up with changes made by GZDoom. This post will continuously be updated with information pertaining to what features are in and how they work.
-----
***NOTICE***
Please bear in mind, QZDoom is an experimental testing ground. Therefor, changes to anything can happen at any given time with each new DRD build being released. This is much more volatile and can certainly break the new features.

I will post updates whenever changes come about.
-----
Current QZDoom Additions
Last edited by Major Cooke on Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Major Cooke

Re: Looking for QZDoom Testers

Post by Major Cooke »

Also just to clarify as some folks have asked me on Discord: Until ALL selected parts have been fully merged or rejected, no new code submissions will be brought in until they're taken care of.

As mentioned in the first post, this is for the safety of QZDoom so maintenance is made easier, especially if people report bugs with some of the features. If sudden changes occur and someone completely redoes their submission from the ground up, this could potentially affect the other submissions and result in conflicts with source control.

TL;DR things can get messy.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

View Angles has changed. The properties no longer belong to player(info), but to the actor itself, along with a slough of other things related to that feature. See the New Features Guide spoiler for information.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

ViewAngles has changed. After receiving feedback, I've replaced SPF_VIEW with direct A_SetView<Angle/Pitch/Roll> functions instead.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Since QZDoom had to be reset, it's a good time to pull in a few more features.

PSPF_PLAYERTRANSLATED Overlay flag and clearscope Index() were merged into GZDoom.

See first post for what's new. This time I chose to add a few smaller submissions that would be much easier for the average user to test, which could certainly help get them in much quicker. Said features are Invert Mouse X (Mouse Options) and Weapon Bob-Firing (HUD Options).

For the script savvy, (A_)SprayDecal has received two new Vector3 parameters: direction and offset.

Finally, the non-damaging bouncing on top/bottom of actors has been incorporated.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

QZDoom devbuilds are broken right now, first becouse the cache needed to be reset after the ZMusic as dll change and then becouse you've switched to a different branch. I sent Blzut3 a PM (and tagged thim @GitHub) but he has not read it yet, he must be pretty busy i guess.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

They are fixed now.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Whole new slough of features have been added. I would have considered some of the older ones but merge conflicts have forced me to postpone some of them.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Since most of the previous were merged, it's time for another round of updates.
OP wrote:
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Yet another round of testing, this time with an updated QZDoom-to-GZDoom branch merge. I would have merged more but the PSprite changes are huge. Furthermore, we need more testing for the rest of the other PRs in here that haven't been merged into GZDoom yet.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Added in ThruBits.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Another round of testing.
ViewPos was not included this time due to complications with the feature on which direction it should go. On top of that, there's a planned refactor of the code that it was inserted into, so there's no point in reworking it yet until the refactor is done.

Discussions for ViewPos specifically can take place in the appropriate thread.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

A new update is coming out soon. This time, it'll be a focused testing round for any performance degradation. While in general there shouldn't be, any detailed comparisons will help.

For modders, the details are in the original post with links to the GitHub pages, but here's a rundown.
Spoiler:
Major Cooke

Re: QZDoom Testing (12-06-2021)

Post by Major Cooke »

Two new items have been added to the current running list:
Major Cooke

Re: QZDoom Testing (01-20-2023)

Post by Major Cooke »

New round of testing will begin soon. I'll make posts here whenever a new round begins, but all details can now be found on the link on the OP.

Return to “Developer Blog”